1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

feel like your in med school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Conjuctiva, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Conjuctiva

2+ Year Member

I dont...

Sure, i study a lot everyday, (anatomy, histo, biochem are our first half of MS1 courses), and we have finals next week, and i'm studying like 8-10 hours a day for em.

Granted, i go to SGU, so maybe thats why i dont feel like i'm in medical school... but i dont think it'd make a difference...

i thought medical school was going to be something like WOW or just different than what it is...

to me its just like undergrad, except with a lot more volume.

anyone else feel the same? I know it'll change once i get into clinicals and start having real patient contact, my god i cant wait!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It doesn't really feel like undergrad to me. I think that's mostly because everyone that surrounds me is either the same or more enthusiastic about being here. And everyone studies pretty much every day, so the jokers that used to love wallowing in their ignorance in class and telling everyone how cool they are are just gone.

So it's been a much better experience thus far than undergrad. Sure, biochem was somewhat like undergrad, but gross anatomy and gross lab sure aren't like anything I ever took. Today I took a bone-saw to a human skull and took out a brain. If that doesn't make me feel like I'm in med school I don't know what will.

4. vasca

vasca En la era postpasambre
    5+ Year Member

I felt somewhat similar when I was an M1. Luckily my university at that time had introductory cliical chart courses that really made you feel like you were studying to become a doctor and not a micoscope slide diagnotician.

Things get more interesting when you become an M3. Then you start to really feel you're in med school. Even so, I've known a lot of people that didn't feel they were going to actually become doctors until the day they got their degrees.

5. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Be careful what you ask for--you just might get it :)
    First year is necessary for all of your classmates who don't have any basic science background so that everyone coming out of first year can read any translational basic science paper and understand it.

Second year will be more clinical hopefully. You will get slammed with all of the background clinical knowledge you will need to hit the wards. I've always felt that if you could remember 100% of second year med school when you start on the wards as a third year, you would be better than most interns.

Anyway, you will get there soon enough. Everything you're going through has a purpose. That may not make you feel better. But take it from a tired fourth year, be careful what you ask for--you just might get it.

6. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I do, but alot of it is because I'm always in and out of our hospital. I usually get lunch in the hospital cafeteria and white coats and scrubs are all over the place. Though we are only MS1s we also learned and practiced breast exams on standardized patients yesterday. That's not something you do in undergrad, legally.

7. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

I go to SGU also (2nd term now) and I feel the same way you do. I dont feel like i m in med school at all..even at the labs all we do is fill out/go through worksheets even anatomy lab was essentially an hour per week.

8. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with this. It is undergrad on steroids, but the bone dust and severed body parts makes me feel like I'm in med school.

9. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Ya we have prosected cadavers...so we only really have cadaver time for 1 hr a week for 1 semester (16 weeks). It is much more time effecient I suppose...

10. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are US students actually allowed to touch the brain? In the UK we aren't because of fear of prion diseases and the US is generally more cautious than we are about that sort of thing.

11. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wtf? 1 hour per week? How do you learn anything?!

Yup, it's pretty ****ing awesome. :)

12. soonereng

soonereng Double Trouble
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I always double gloved, but we're not eating them! Our food supply (supposedly) isn't contaminated with prions as of yet because we are more cautious about that sort of thing in our food industries.

13. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

I feel like you really dont need extensive time on a cadaver to learn anatomy..1 hr per week is a little too little, but the anatomy lab was open till 10 or 11pm so you could go in after hours for as long as you like. I never once went in after hours. I learned a lot from virtual anatomy slides and Rohen type images. I got a solid B in that class; I admitly put in less effort than I should have in all my classes that first term so I probably could have gotten an A with the same lab habits if I just started studying harder a few days earlier and actually did practice questions.

14. TheLesPaul

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I feel like it's much different to visualize something in your head, and then actually see how it is in the body in 3d, in relation to other structures in the body. My school is lab-time heavy, admittedly (3 hrs a day, 3x a wk, for 1 semester), but I really feel like there's a big difference in how I visualize structures after just reading Netter's, and how I see them after finding them in the body.

15. Lacynica

Lacynica Fervently praying...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At my school we are in lab EVERYDAY for at least 2 hrs......hmm..... but as for me, i definitely feel like I'm in medschool....probably because we are doing Anatomy on steroids....

:D