Feel pretty behind on ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadRadLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. My GPA is decent (between 3.7 and 3.8), I have completed all med school prereqs except biochem and anatomy (not really prereqs, I know) and I am taking the MCAT this summer.
I have been working in a research lab for two years now (cog psych) and I did a poster presentation a couple of weeks ago. I am going to be working on my own experiment over the next two years and hope to get a publication out of it, but obviously nothing is assured.
The problem is, outside some sporadic volunteering with a cultural group, I really don't have any kind of volunteering. I have applied to hospitals to get some volunteering experience this summer, but I feel like i'll be behind if I don't get any spots this summer. I really need clinical experience, because since working in a nursing home and hospital my senior year of HS, I don't have anything.
Also, I have no shadowing experience either. Something else that I have to start working on ASAP.
Does anyone have any tips or other knowledge on how I can get caught up?

TL;DR - No clinical volunteering, extremely sporadic non-clinical volunteering, no shadowing, no leadership, decent amount of research, taking the MCAT this summer. How far behind am I?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks.

In addition to 8-10 hours of research a week, I also work as a consultant at my university's IT services (most phone work...glorified call center) for anywhere from 14-18 hours/week. I hope that will give me something interesting to talk about because I have to deal with a wide variety of people (technologically incompetent, irate, stubborn, etc.) even though it's not in a medical setting, or face to face for that matter.

I'm really hoping to get some of those clinical volunteering positions this summer so I can get that under my belt as well. Do you think the sporadic volunteering with cultural groups is worth listing? I've been doing it since middle school but it ends up being maybe like 2-3 programs a year, if that.

Fair enough. Looks like I need to get cracking on leadership/volunteering.

Does the club that I am a leader for matter? Does it have to be science-related, or can it be something else, or just like a fun club? Also, would being a supervisor at work or a tutor be considered leadership?