Feeling anxious about my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have applied this cycle to a lot of DO schools (Due to my stats). Been submitting secondaries between 3-14 days after receiving them between June to now. Today I got an interview waitlist from AZCOM. So far been rejected by Marian (pre 2ndary). I am worried that I am not taking the correct steps and I should consider applying elsewhere right now (international?).

My stats are not the greatest at 3.02 GPA and 31 MCAT. I am currently working on a MS and will graduate with a 4.0 (just finished all my letter grade courses). I have a fairly heavy background in research with 5000+ hrs and one publication. My clinical would also be my weak side with 50 hrs as hospital volunteer, 100 hrs shadowing DO. I have 100+ hrs of volunteer work non-health. I also have 1200+ TA hours. I know that the two biggest weakness on my application are my borderline GPA and clinical hours.

I understand other options include retaking classes at CC for grade replacement or SMP, but if possible I'd like to focus on the current application cycle. I want to be a primary care physician (Family Medicine) and serve in underserved communities and have been writing about what and why in my secondaries.

Current submitted secondaries:
AZCOM (waitlist interview)
CCOM
DCOM
Des Moines
KCOM
KYCOM
Western (CA and OH)
Touro (CA and NV)
NYIT
NOVA
PCOM

Still have a lot more to work on.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, the potential is there for you! That GPA is a killer, though! Well..not necessarily, but as far as pre-screening goes it will get you into some trouble. Your application holds a lot of potential if you can get an interview lined up. If I were you, which I am not, I would have worked my butt off to raise that GPA and tried applying to a competitive MD/DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Touro CA should try to snag the 31 mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, the potential is there for you! That GPA is a killer, though! Well..not necessarily, but as far as pre-screening goes it will get you into some trouble. Your application holds a lot of potential if you can get an interview lined up. If I were you, which I am not, I would have worked my butt off to raise that GPA and tried applying to a competitive MD/DO school.

At the moment it's too late to try to change my GPA. Just wondering if I should be applying elsewhere in the meantime or just stay put as its still early/mid cycle.

My stats are not the greatest at 3.02 GPA and 31 MCAT. I am currently working on a MS and will graduate with a 4.0 (just finished all my letter grade courses). I have a fairly heavy background in research with 5000+ hrs and one publication. My clinical would also be my weak side with 50 hrs as hospital volunteer, 100 hrs shadowing DO. I have 100+ hrs of volunteer work non-health. I also have 1200+ TA hours. I know that the two biggest weakness on my application are my borderline GPA and clinical hours.
Hypothetically, if your MS related to science it would factor into your sGPA/cGPA. I think that you need to add a few schools that weigh MCAT score more than GPA.Sorry, but your list is not realistic for your stats.
Please, do not consider applying for any international school. This is your 1st cycle!

Hypothetically, if your MS related to science it would factor into your sGPA/cGPA. I think that you need to add a few schools that weigh MCAT score more than GPA.Sorry, but your list is not realistic for your stats.
Please, do not consider applying for any international school. This is your 1st cycle!

It is science related (biochemistry). I am a CA resident and applied to the following (I think this is as realistic I can get while staying in the US?).

Last edited:
Hi,
I have applied this cycle to a lot of DO schools (Due to my stats). Been submitting secondaries between 3-14 days after receiving them between June to now. Today I got an interview waitlist from AZCOM. So far been rejected by Marian (pre 2ndary). I am worried that I am not taking the correct steps and I should consider applying elsewhere right now (international?).

I understand other options include retaking classes at CC for grade replacement or SMP, but if possible I'd like to focus on the current application cycle. I want to be a primary care physician (Family Medicine) and serve in underserved communities and have been writing about what and why in my secondaries.

CCOM
DCOM
Des Moines
KCOM
KYCOM
Western (CA and OH)
Touro (CA and NV)
NYIT
NOVA
PCOM

lol, even with high 20's you would still have a good chance. When I applied (2013-2014) there were 3 members here with around 3.0/27-28, sub 3.0 sGPA's, and they each received several ii's and got in.

Last edited:
Dont apply to LUCOM...like seriously...don't...
As a CA resident maybe toss CA Northstate an app if you're comfortable with the whole "for profit" med school thing (Similar to rocky vista)

Dont apply to LUCOM...like seriously...don't...
As a CA resident maybe toss CA Northstate an app if you're comfortable with the whole "for profit" med school thing (Similar to rocky vista)

Why not LUCOM.. its a christian school. Their essay is kinda odd and weird. I was working on it today. Doubt I would get a match into the Northstate with their 60 class size.

lol, even with high 20's you would still have a good chance. When I applied (2013-2014) there were 3 members here with around 3.0/27-28, sub 3.0 sGPA's, and they each received several ii's and got in.
Mind if I ask what school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not LUCOM.. its a christian school. Their essay is kinda odd and weird. I was working on it today. Doubt I would get a match into the Northstate with their 60 class size.
Looking at their thread, they do prefer high MCAT.

Apply broadly. Great MCAT, good job. On the other hand, GPA is bad but I'm not qualified to explain how the MS will factor and I think that may make all the difference in your case. Your healthcare exposure is on the low side, and D.O (apparently) emphasizes healthcare experience over research experience. So this is the other weakness in your application. The adcoms may overlook considering you have solid shadowing hours.

If you want to take a risk, I suggest checking out Queensland Ochsner (Australia based) for international. Years 1+2 are in Australia. Years 3+4 are clinical rotations in the U.S. If you go to the thread you may be under the impression it is not a risk, but if you want a residency in the U.S, it is still much riskier considering the vast majority of D.O schools have match rates right around 100%. Also note AOA and ACGME are merging residencies and by the time you graduate, things MAY be different for better or worse for IMGs (I highly doubt it'd be better). With your MCAT, you'll get in more than likely to Ocshner..but you may have to apply for 2016-2017 cycle which begins earlier for them (and as of now, you'd be applying very late to my knowledge).

My suggestion would be to apply to as many D.O schools you can afford + Queensland Ochsner. But let me advise where Queensland students won't be critical enough: Queensland is expensive. However, no more expensive than CCOM or NYCOM. If you go to their thread you'll note they are overtly optimistic about the program (they are also students at the Ochsner program lol) to the point where it is annoying and they act like life experience alone is worth it. If you get into a D.O school, you'd be stupid to go to an Australian school if you MUST have a U.S residency. Reason being, not only are your chances of matching worse at any IMG program, but your chance of matching into a decent residency are further diluted (even Ochsner).

I think you MAY be applying last minute for the Ochsner cycle, in the event you do decide to apply. I believe it starts at the beginning of the year 2016 (January) and the cutoff date for application is in September (don't quote me here :p ). I decided not to apply there because the website is sketchy with very poor sample size (new school). They recently expanded their class and we have no statistical evidence supporting the residency match rates for the larger class size. The match rates for one of the smaller class sizes was 25 out of 28, which is a huge gamble compared to OMS. When in the U.S, at the very worst, 3 students aren't matching at OMS with 4-8x the class size. If we were talking under 100k, it might be worth the gamble. But your going to graduate 300k-400k in debt. That's a lot of money when there is no certainty regarding performance in medical school. I'm throwing the option out to you and being harsh about the chance because I feel obligated to emphasize risk.

Oh, and as a side note.. Make sure all of your secondaries emphasize why OSTEOPATHIC medical school is for you. If your attitude about D.O is poor, Ochsner will at least afford you the shot at an MBBS which will say M.D on your labcoat, if you have one with listed degree :laugh:. If that's important to you. I'm only saying this because you mentioned "(due to my stats)," and its hard to depict your attitude regarding OMS. If you just align your application to medical school in general, they'll know that your only applying because your GPA is far too low for M.D.

I think your case is a great example of why applications entirely based on numbers can be misleading, because undergraduate GPA when you aren't trying isn't going to say much regarding your fitness for medicine. Clearly with your MS gpa, you are capable of performing well (although, not certain on how difficult the program is).

anyways, goodluck

Last edited:
Honestly, it just depends on your aacomas cgpa and sgpa.

An the talk about healthcare experience over research is bs. I have limited healthcare experience but lots of research and already got many IIs this current cycle.

You just need a solid gpa and mcat.

Apply broadly. Great MCAT, good job. On the other hand, GPA is bad but I'm not qualified to explain how the MS will factor and I think that may make all the difference in your case. Your healthcare exposure is on the low side, and D.O (apparently) emphasizes healthcare experience over research experience. So this is the other weakness in your application. The adcoms may overlook considering you have solid shadowing hours.

If you want to take a risk, I suggest checking out Queensland Ochsner (Australia based) for international. Years 1+2 are in Australia. Years 3+4 are clinical rotations in the U.S. If you go to the thread you may be under the impression it is not a risk, but if you want a residency in the U.S, it is still much riskier considering the vast majority of D.O schools have match rates right around 100%. Also note AOA and ACGME are merging residencies and by the time you graduate, things MAY be different for better or worse for IMGs (I highly doubt it'd be better). With your MCAT, you'll get in more than likely to Ocshner..but you may have to apply for 2016-2017 cycle which begins earlier for them (and as of now, you'd be applying very late to my knowledge).

My suggestion would be to apply to as many D.O schools you can afford + Queensland Ochsner. But let me advise where Queensland students won't be critical enough: Queensland is expensive. However, no more expensive than CCOM or NYCOM. If you go to their thread you'll note they are overtly optimistic about the program (they are also students at the Ochsner program lol) to the point where it is annoying and they act like life experience alone is worth it. If you get into a D.O school, you'd be stupid to go to an Australian school if you MUST have a U.S residency. Reason being, not only are your chances of matching worse at any IMG program, but your chance of matching into a decent residency are further diluted (even Ochsner).

I think you MAY be applying last minute for the Ochsner cycle, in the event you do decide to apply. I believe it starts at the beginning of the year 2016 (January) and the cutoff date for application is in September (don't quote me here :p ). I decided not to apply there because the website is sketchy with very poor sample size (new school). They recently expanded their class and we have no statistical evidence supporting the residency match rates for the larger class size. The match rates for one of the smaller class sizes was 25 out of 28, which is a huge gamble compared to OMS. When in the U.S, at the very worst, 3 students aren't matching at OMS with 4-8x the class size. If we were talking under 100k, it might be worth the gamble. But your going to graduate 300k-400k in debt. That's a lot of money when there is no certainty regarding performance in medical school. I'm throwing the option out to you and being harsh about the chance because I feel obligated to emphasize risk.

Oh, and as a side note.. Make sure all of your secondaries emphasize why OSTEOPATHIC medical school is for you. If your attitude about D.O is poor, Ochsner will at least afford you the shot at an MBBS which will say M.D on your labcoat, if you have one with listed degree :laugh:. If that's important to you. I'm only saying this because you mentioned "(due to my stats)," and its hard to depict your attitude regarding OMS. If you just align your application to medical school in general, they'll know that your only applying because your GPA is far too low for M.D.

I think your case is a great example of why applications entirely based on numbers can be misleading, because undergraduate GPA when you aren't trying isn't going to say much regarding your fitness for medicine. Clearly with your MS gpa, you are capable of performing well (although, not certain on how difficult the program is).

anyways, goodluck

I'll look into Ochsner. I have been writing all about osteopathic medicine in my secondaries. About my time shadowing the DO doctor and how I feel that the osteopathic principles (holistic approach, treating patients as a whole etc) is something I believe in. I suppose AZCOM not flat out rejecting me shows that I am not the best but also not the worst applicant. If I do apply to Ochsner I will do it next year 2016 January.

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, it just depends on your aacomas cgpa and sgpa.

An the talk about healthcare experience over research is bs. I have limited healthcare experience but lots of research and already got many IIs this current cycle.

You just need a solid gpa and mcat.

Yeah... Solid gpa and mcat trumps most things. Unfortunately, I only have a goodish mcat and poor gpa.

Search these forums for LUCOM. You will not want to go there, unless you think the idea of dinosaurs was created by the devil

LECOMs dont have essays... submit them tonight. Stop messing around haha! :) Im basically you but with more clinical work and I have interviews at both LECOMs 9 days after being complete.

Your GPA is what's hurting you and you'll have much better luck next year if you're shut out. My school will reject you, alas.

Hi,

CCOM
DCOM
Des Moines
KCOM
KYCOM
Western (CA and OH)
Touro (CA and NV)
NYIT
NOVA
PCOM

Your GPA is what's hurting you and you'll have much better luck next year if you're shut out. My school will reject you, alas.

The 4.0 graduate GPA doesn't help his chances at all? I would think with all that research, a solid MCAT, and recent classroom success he would be a strong candidate for one of those "outlier" spots.

Bah! I didn't see that!

OK, OP, you're in excellent shape!!! Pick a DO school...it's yours.

The 4.0 graduate GPA doesn't help his chances at all? I would think with all that research, a solid MCAT, and recent classroom success he would be a strong candidate for one of those "outlier" spots.

Reactions: 3 users
What is your sGPA? (Sorry if it missed it.

It's 3.02

Thanks @Goro for your thoughts. Maybe its time for me to stop lurking on SDN for a while. Prob making it worse when interviews have begun. Crossing my fingers for an interview~

LECOMs dont have essays... submit them tonight. Stop messing around haha! :) Im basically you but with more clinical work and I have interviews at both LECOMs 9 days after being complete.

I finished LECOM in July but havent heard back from either of them. Haven't been rejected either so maybe later down the road or something.. :/

Last edited: