Feeling Crushed......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone got my grades back last week and I don't know how to feel about one grade really. So I worked my a** of this semester and made sure I would get the highest Gpa possible. So here's the scenario:

Bio 3000: Orgasmic Bio : A 3 Credit
Bio 3000: Lab 1 Credit
English core: A (strong LOR) 3 credit
Theology: A (Strong LOR) 3 credit
Orgo 1 : B- 5 Credit
Orgo lab: A (counts towards the lecture grade )

So here is what went down In orgo:

To give some background the first day the Professor state that a 70 was considered a A in the class because he "curves" at the end of the semester. I did not take that as an incentive to live by the curve but to still do well. I am no way complaining about the class! So the first test came he made it extremely hard like jokes aside, Class average about low 40's but i got a solid a 80 and same for the 2nd test. He was promising people with the 40's and 50's a b plus so everyone would not withdraw. So the last test was the final, he said it would be fair and he also "stated" he made the exam. Final day: instead of giving a exam that he made he bombs the class by giving an ACS orgo final. I did OK on got a 70 but the issue came when he caught a group of kids cheating and got pissed and removed the so called "Curve" and failed more than half of the class and gave grades according do the standard scale. SO I have him next semester again and i don't know what to expect and i feel like all my hard work went to waste. I got 3.6 for the semester but i was set for a 4.0.

Cum: 3.33 gpa 3.1 spga (upwards trend, started with a 2.9 and 2.6 sgpa respectively Freshmen year I'm a sophomore now)

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone got my grades back last week and I don't know how to feel about one grade really. So I worked my a** of this semester and made sure I would get the highest Gpa possible. So here's the scenario:

Bio 3000: Lab 1 Credit
English core: A (strong LOR) 3 credit
Theology: A (Strong LOR) 3 credit
Orgo 1 : B- 5 Credit
Orgo lab: A (counts towards the lecture grade )

So here is what went down In orgo:

To give some background the first day the Professor state that a 70 was considered a A in the class because he "curves" at the end of the semester. I did not take that as an incentive to live by the curve but to still do well. I am no way complaining about the class! So the first test came he made it extremely hard like jokes aside, Class average about low 40's but i got a solid a 80 and same for the 2nd test. He was promising people with the 40's and 50's a b plus so everyone would not withdraw. So the last test was the final, he said it would be fair and he also "stated" he made the exam. Final day: instead of giving a exam that he made he bombs the class by giving an ACS orgo final. I did OK on got a 70 but the issue came when he caught a group of kids cheating and got pissed and removed the so called "Curve" and failed more than half of the class and gave grades according do the standard scale. SO I have him next semester again and i don't know what to expect and i feel like all my hard work went to waste. I got 3.6 for the semester but i was set for a 4.0.

Cum: 3.33 gpa 3.1 spga (upwards trend, started with a 2.9 and 2.6 sgpa respectively Freshmen year I'm a sophomore now)

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Stuff happens, move on and pick your professors better.

I'm sorry, that really stinks =/ I understand him being angry because of the cheating but taking away the curve for everyone was kind of a jerk move. I had a really similar experience with ochem 2 and I know how cruddy you must feel. You can always try talking to him about it, or talking to the department: enough people complained to the department in my case that the professor actually ended up changing the curve to back to what she originally promised.

If it doesn't work out, don't sweat it. A B- isn't a bad grade, and your other grades were great. Keep working hard and don't let this get to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, people are probably gonna come to this thread and tell you to suck it up, which is what they did when I posted a thread about my ochem 2 situation. Ignore them, they'd be upset too if this happened to them.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, people are probably gonna come to this thread and tell you to suck it up, which is what they did when I posted a thread about my ochem 2 situation. Ignore them, they'd be upset too if this happened to them.

Hey man that you really lifted my spirit, I can't choose a better professor than him because he the only one for regular orgo 2! And he sent out a nasty email cutting off the class so my grade is forever like that :(

Agree with @Lannister.

Also,

Wow, that must have been a very enjoyable course! ;)

Reactions: 20 users
Hey man that you really lifted my spirit, I can't choose a better professor than him because he the only one for regular orgo 2! And he sent out a nasty email cutting off the class so my grade is forever like that :(

Let it out now. I know it feels good to complain when something really cruddy happens, but yes, the sooner you move on the better. You could bring it to his department chair, but I feel that it's not very efficient. Focus on the positives in your life and figure out how you can continue acing your classes!

Could you try talking to your school ombuds office? If the original curve was in your syllabus the professor has no right to change grading in that way

Honestly in my opinion the class doing poorly on the ACS exam is reflective of a poor professor.
Anyways, it's not the end of the world. Many premeds struggle with OChem, it's pretty common. Plus, the A in lab will help. If it counts towards your lecture grade then that'll pull it up, no? Assuming the typical 3:1 credit split, you got a B in OChem.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you try talking to your school ombuds office? If the original curve was in your syllabus the professor has no right to change grading in that way

I think a lot of syllabi include a statement like, "the professor has the right to change this syllabus at any time". Should they drastically change the syllabus after the final exam? No. But can they? Yes, unfortunately.

Honestly in my opinion the class doing poorly on the ACS exam is reflective of a poor professor.

I wonder if all those people failed the class because they did poorly on ACS, or because they were getting 40s/50s on the other exams.

I wonder if all those people failed the class because they did poorly on ACS, or because they were getting 40s/50s on the other exams.

C: all the above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although it is understandable that you are feeling upset right now, this isn't the end of the world. Your gpa has significantly increased since your freshman year, and you still have plenty of time to further improve your grades before you apply to med school. OChem is a difficult class for many students, so your grade should not raise eyebrows at most medical schools provided that you continue to do well in your other courses.

Hey man,

A B- in o Chen isn't great obviously but it's not going to keep you out of med school. You have time to keep that upward trend going and increase your GPAs. You're gonna be fine

I did not struggle with Ochem i was actually very good at i would tutor or help the others in the class the professor made the test unnecessarily hard. He would say something is on the test but it reality it wouldn't be there. I remember for the 2nd test it was 4 chapters and he just used 90 percent of the questions from the hardest chapter even though on the syllabus it says equal distribution from each chapter in the exam. And also it was Organismic bio hahaha

I did not struggle with Ochem i was actually very good at i would tutor or help the others in the class the professor made the test unnecessarily hard. He would say something is on the test but it reality it wouldn't be there. I remember for the 2nd test it was 4 chapters and he just used 90 percent of the questions from the hardest chapter even though on the syllabus it says equal distribution from each chapter in the exam. And also it was Organismic bio hahaha

Bummer

This is exactly what happened this semester with a class I was going to take this upcoming semester (which is also the only class I needed to get a minor) and now the Professor has a vendetta and I'm not risking my GPA for it.

Cheaters are scum.

What the hell is the professor thinking?

The people cheating obviously aren't going to be the people getting 40s-50s on the tests. They're going to be the ones doing too well.

Getting rid of the curve harshly punishes/fails his honest students while leaving the cheaters he didn't catch with like a B?

*****. I'd be so livid about this. Would personally look into raising a stink at whatever the appropriate higher level is, you shouldn't be able to punish a whole class because you caught a subset of people cheating.

Getting rid of the curve harshly punishes/fails his honest students

*****. I'd be so livid about this. Would personally look into raising a stink at whatever the appropriate higher level is, you shouldn't be able to punish a whole class because you caught a subset of people cheating.

My thoughts exactly. I'd talk to someone at your university about this

Is the curve in the syllabus? If so then fight it. If it isn't you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Your professor is a *****... just fail the students who cheated and exclude their scores from the curve. Why punish the whole class because of a few *****s?

The curve is rather no where on the syllabus rather there is no grading scale, it just said that 2 exams count as 2o precent and the final counts as 30 percent

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.33.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.33.27 PM.png

here some other students that had the same scenario

Its ORGANISMIC bio!

Hey @Knicks17. Sorry to hear about that awful professor. I had a situation with a professor while taking A&P where the Prof felt his class was just a soapbox for his political, religious, and awkward views about wanting to date Selena Gomez (seriously, this man was a little touched). Keep your head up.

I am trying too but i have this same a hole for orgo 2