feeling discouraged: Experienced Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjl08k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researched and read a lot of threads very similar to the one I'm currently posting and I'm sure these get old, but I've had a domino effect of obstacles placed in my way today and would greatly appreciate some very brutal and blunt direction and advice.

Here are the details of my particular situation:

sGPA: 3.25
overall GPA: 3.25
I have about 5 pre-req science courses from a community college with all A's and unfortunately I have a somewhat minor but still downward trend at FSU resulting in 3.25 for both entire overall (including community credits) and science GPA.

I have about 80 shadowing hours from a Physician with a Letter of Recommendation from him as well. I currently have a very strong and positive letter from my Orgo 1 professor (I received a B- in this class).

One road block is that I have no idea as to how I am going to get a letter of rec from a Non-Science Professor. I just recently decided (during my LAST semester of undergrad) that I am fully committed to practicing medicine in which the last non science course I had taken was over 3 semesters ago and in another city.

I take the MCAT in July and am expecting a 31 to 32. It is very possible that I can score a 34 but I prepare for the worst realistic outcome in which I'm planning my moves according to a 31/32.

I spoke with NOVA and my GPA is "too high" to be considered for the masters in biomedical science program but also too low to be competitive for the DO program.

I am open to any and all options. I am very passionate about medicine and using my knowledge and abilities to help others. It is very rewarding to me and I will not stop until I am admitted to a school that helps me achieve this. I need a little help deciding how to best make use of my time.

Right now I think I'm going to retake a couple pre-reqs over at FAU which I either received a C+ in or took at a community college in hopes of raising my GPA through grade forgiveness and also taking 1 or 2 more higher biology courses like immunology and bio molecular science.

I know these threads get old, but I any advice would be very appreciated and even uplifting as of right now. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ill be applying to DO school with nearly the same gpas as you, and prob around a high 20s low 30s mcat.

I have no idea who you spoke to at nova, but I don't think they know what they're taking about. A ton of people that have 3.0-3.2 gpas do SMPs and i know of a guy with a similar gpa to mine that went to nova's 2 year masters in bio med sciences. Novas average gpa for admission isnt even one of the highest DO schools- it's around 3.45 if I recall. So we are around .2 off. Not exactly a huge discrepancy, especially since their mcat average is a 27 so a 30 would be 3 points over easily making up for the gpa.

I spoke to LMU about my gpa, and she said my gpa is far from "terrible" it's slightly lower then average and with other areas that are strong my gpa can be made up for and id be just as competitive (mcat, ecs, etc). Not to mention, youll see that the underdog thread has tons of people that get in with less then a 3.2.

if you get a 30, you will be fine. NSU lied to you. You won't have a high enough GPA to be overly confident, but you will probably get in. if you pull of the 34, you can be cocky about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

What are you doing about Non-Science Letters of Rec?