Feeling Discouraged. How to get back in the game!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling a little bit discourage from falling down a few steps (figuratively), after I did so well in my pre-reqs this past year.

So, I recently took a scribe job in a new city and I never finished the training, because I was a bit depressed from a recent breakup and had my priorities out of order; instead of trying to stay with the scribe job and study I decided to play tourist (vacation/summer mode) & wanted to make new friends, because I was lonely.

In addition, I ended up having to go to the emergency room for a corneal ulcer and that took about 4-5 weeks to recover. I withdrew from an online sociology class, and still have not taken Biochemistry. I'm now at a new job, which is non-clinical/healthcare related in order to pay the bills.

I'm not sure how to get back in the game. I need to start shadowing and getting clinical/volunteer exposure. Not sure how to find opportunities when I work M-F. I still feel like my GPA is inadequate (3.3 w/ retakes). I really think I'd like to be a family physician, but I'm having a hard time to motivate myself to find the shadowing/volunteering opportunities that I would need.

I keep telling myself there are easier paths/careers, but the other careers I'd like don't seem as interesting or as stable financially. I don't want to be a PA or a NP and the MS/PhD route is too long, monotonous, and the career trajectory is not ideal for me.

Suggestions? Have other people gone through times like this? If so, how did you get back in the game?

Anyone know the link to find local DO physicians to shadow, please?

How many hours of shadowing/volunteering should I obtain to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm certain the the AOA has a list of DO's you can search to find a physician in your area!

arrrghh.. I hate breakups and I feel for ya OP. So much of an emotional and physical investment that just fizzles and you have nothing to show for it. Kind of screwed myself over in that regard 2 years ago but dedicated myself to my path and now I am accepted :) Just keep trucking on and don't do anything if you aren't interested in it. Get your grades up and retake anything you need to, and get as many volunteer and shadowing hours you possibly can. Cut back on the work hours if you can. And also no.. you don't know what you want to be right now. That will come later! Study hard for the MCAT and get anything above ~27 (given you have the good GPA leeway for it) and apply early. Get your personal statement and LORs in line and just do it!

This won't happen overnight. My comeback into academics and my personal life was a process that took 2 years. I am loving life and have full faith that whatever we go through is meant to put us on the track we were meant to be on anyway. Good luck my man!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Feeling a little bit discourage from falling down a few steps (figuratively), after I did so well in my pre-reqs this past year.

So, I recently took a scribe job in a new city and I never finished the training, because I was a bit depressed from a recent breakup and had my priorities out of order; instead of trying to stay with the scribe job and study I decided to play tourist (vacation/summer mode) & wanted to make new friends, because I was lonely.

In addition, I ended up having to go to the emergency room for a corneal ulcer and that took about 4-5 weeks to recover. I withdrew from an online sociology class, and still have not taken Biochemistry. I'm now at a new job, which is non-clinical/healthcare related in order to pay the bills.

I'm not sure how to get back in the game. I need to start shadowing and getting clinical/volunteer exposure. Not sure how to find opportunities when I work M-F. I still feel like my GPA is inadequate (3.3 w/ retakes). I really think I'd like to be a family physician, but I'm having a hard time to motivate myself to find the shadowing/volunteering opportunities that I would need.

I keep telling myself there are easier paths/careers, but the other careers I'd like don't seem as interesting or as stable financially. I don't want to be a PA or a NP and the MS/PhD route is too long, monotonous, and the career trajectory is not ideal for me.

Suggestions? Have other people gone through times like this? If so, how did you get back in the game?

The bolded is what is potentially concerning. It sounds like you just really need to decide if medicine is for you. If you are having a hard time motivating yourself now to watch what doctors do then what will happen when you have to get up every morning to do it? Your GPA is fine for DO if it is a part of a solid, well rounded app. Do you have an MCAT? I recommend deciding for yourself if this is really what you want to do. If you decide it is what you want to do then getting back in the game isn't too difficult! Finish up those pre-reqs with solid grades, get some shadowing and volunteering (as stated above the AOA has physicians listed in your area you can contact), and take a couple of months to study for the MCAT and rock it. Getting into DO school is more about perseverance than being automatically eliminated like MD can be.

The bolded is what is potentially concerning. It sounds like you just really need to decide if medicine is for you. If you are having a hard time motivating yourself now to watch what doctors do then what will happen when you have to get up every morning to do it? Your GPA is fine for DO if it is a part of a solid, well rounded app. Do you have an MCAT? I recommend deciding for yourself if this is really what you want to do. If you decide it is what you want to do then getting back in the game isn't too difficult! Finish up those pre-reqs with solid grades, get some shadowing and volunteering (as stated above the AOA has physicians listed in your area you can contact), and take a couple of months to study for the MCAT and rock it. Getting into DO school is more about perseverance than being automatically eliminated like MD can be.

Agree 100%!

arrrghh.. I hate breakups and I feel for ya OP. So much of an emotional and physical investment that just fizzles and you have nothing to show for it. Kind of screwed myself over in that regard 2 years ago but dedicated myself to my path and now I am accepted :) Just keep trucking on and don't do anything if you aren't interested in it. Get your grades up and retake anything you need to, and get as many volunteer and shadowing hours you possibly can. Cut back on the work hours if you can. And also no.. you don't know what you want to be right now. That will come later! Study hard for the MCAT and get anything above ~27 (given you have the good GPA leeway for it) and apply early. Get your personal statement and LORs in line and just do it!

This won't happen overnight. My comeback into academics and my personal life was a process that took 2 years. I am loving life and have full faith that whatever we go through is meant to put us on the track we were meant to be on anyway. Good luck my man!

Thank you. Yeah, now that I am settled in my new city, have gotten over my ex, and have recovered from the corneal ulcer, I'm feeling a lot better.

I don't know what it is about my personality, but the idea of having to find shadowing and volunteering opportunities frightens me?? I'm not scared about work or having to study a lot. I guess, it's just because I like to use my freetime to workout or hang out with friends, and I know shadowing/volunteering will get in the way of that. I think, I just need to sit down and think about my priorities and realize that shadowing/volunteering is necessary and just as important as my grades or the MCAT. I've just been very apprehensive about going out and finding the opportunities, and make excuses like it won't fit in my current schedule.

I do believe I have what it takes to get into and get through med school. I think I would be a great physician, especially a family med doctor. You're right though; I just need to motivate myself.

I don't know what it is about my personality, but the idea of having to find shadowing and volunteering opportunities frightens me?? I'm not scared about work or having to study a lot. I guess, it's just because I like to use my freetime to workout or hang out with friends, and I know shadowing/volunteering will get in the way of that. I think, I just need to sit down and think about my priorities and realize that shadowing/volunteering is necessary and just as important as my grades or the MCAT. I've just been very apprehensive about going out and finding the opportunities, and make excuses like it won't fit in my current schedule.

I do believe I have what it takes to get into and get through med school. I think I would be a great physician, especially a family med doctor. You're right though; I just need to motivate myself.

Depending on when you would want to apply it doesn't even need to be a huge time commitment! I would say about 50 total hours should do the trick. If you are wanting to apply in 2016 then that is only 10 days of 5 hours. You can divide it up however you want really. If you want to apply in 2017 then if you start now you could have a mountain of shadowing and volunteering by doing 1-2 hours a week.

The bolded is what I think separates the millions of college freshmen that say they are "pre-med" and the ones who actually end up applying, just a simple matter of motivating yourself to jump through some hoops and research the field.

It's about being confident in yourself first and foremost. Most docs are busy folks, but if you walk into their office with a smile on your face, a letter with your resume or personal statement, and express how interested you are in learning from them, it will take you a long way. Stats are only one part of the puzzle my friend. Being confident is contagious and you can use that to sway people in certain instances. It's a skill that not too many pre-meds possess, but can certainly turn the tide once you get to the interview stage! Just go out there and get it done!

Reactions: 1 user
I had the breakup blues in college as well (3.5 year relationship). Wrecked me for a while, but I learned to not invest myself completely until I am engaged/married to the person. My goals in life are much more important anyway. Maybe I'm jaded now, idk but I don't really care lol.

Just start one step at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself with doing too much at once. The most important in my opinion are 1. GPA 2. MCAT 3. Clinical experience, in that order.

Your GPA is fine, I've been accepted with a similar GPA.

You may not be able to apply this cycle, or even next, but that's just how it goes. I am about to turn 25, and I waited two years after college to beef up my app, and I am glad that I did.

In the words of my second grade teacher, "Life is not a race, it is a journey."

I had the worst break up of all during my first year of medical school, my wife sent me divorce papers the week before final exams. I called her and tried to talk her out of it, and she said she did not want to have anything to do with me, but I eventually got over it. I started following some PUAs and being single is good, best decision of my life. Lucky for me we had no kids, but I did have a house, and I lost that in the process.

I do have a regular girlfriend that treats me good, but I have no plans on marrying her, my parents would probably disown me because she is not Asian. My dad would not have an issue with it, but I know my mother would have a serious problem with me dating a non Asian woman.

I had the worst break up of all during my first year of medical school, my wife sent me divorce papers the week before final exams. I called her and tried to talk her out of it, and she said she did not want to have anything to do with me, but I eventually got over it. I started following some PUAs and being single is good, best decision of my life. Lucky for me we had no kids, but I did have a house, and I lost that in the process.

I do have a regular girlfriend that treats me good, but I have no plans on marrying her, my parents would probably disown me because she is not Asian. My dad would not have an issue with it, but I know my mother would have a serious problem with me dating a non Asian woman.

Dam man, sorry for your misfortunes. Same to you to OP.

Keep your head up!

Dam man, sorry for your misfortunes. Same to you to OP.

Keep your head up!

Breakups are bad but you eventually get over it. The PUAs say some controversial stuff, but they keep it real, one of them hit the nail on the head really good as why modern love is more a source of misery and stress rather than peace and joy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In a politically correct way, the overall message of this thread should be "disregard females, acquire currency".

:)

Breakups are bad but you eventually get over it. The PUAs say some controversial stuff, but they keep it real, one of them hit the nail on the head really good as why modern love is more a source of misery and stress rather than peace and joy.

Especially when you have Asian parents interfering with their children's romantic life.

I didn't know such a term still existed. I haven't heard that since about 2005

Interesting terms. Thank you everyone for the support and suggestions. It is nice to hear others' stories.

I just called a local hospital yesterday to get an application for volunteering. I found a few local DOs that I'm going to contact for shadowing, but I'm not sure what is the best way to ask: in person? via phone? do I ask to speak to the doctor directly?

Especially when you have Asian parents interfering with their children's romantic life.

Haha, first hand experience? I experienced the same thing, and I'm Asian too! Apparently, my ex's parents didn't like how I wasn't the same type of Asian she was.

Haha, first hand experience? I experienced the same thing, and I'm Asian too! Apparently, my ex's parents didn't like how I wasn't the same type of Asian she was.

I'm mixed, so my parents don't really care what the race is of my next boyfriend. haha

Last edited:

Kind of. Lol, that sounds like one of those!

I'm half asian, so my parents don't really care what the race is of my next boyfriend. haha

My parents are Japanese, my prior wife was Korean, they didn't mind her because she was Asian and had a very respectable job. But I know for a fact they would not accept my current girlfriend, especially my mother, Japanese are very conservative people.

I guess since you are already of a mixed background your family is more accepting of you marrying someone different so that is a good thing, my parents are stubborn and conservative people.

That being said the traditional family unit no longer seems to work in this country any more, divorces are very common, its not rare to see single parent households, usually divorced single mothers these days. Older people from more conservative cultures have a hard time accepting this reality of American culture.

Last edited:
My parents are Japanese, my prior wife was Korean, they didn't mind her because she was Asian and had a very respectable job. But I know for a fact they would not accept my current girlfriend, especially my mother, Japanese are very conservative people.

I guess since you are already of a mixed background your family is more accepting of you marrying someone different so that is a good thing, my parents are stubborn and conservative people.

That being said the traditional family unit no longer seems to work in this country any more, divorces are very common, its not rare to see single parent households, usually divorced single mothers these days. Older people from more conservative cultures have a hard time accepting this reality of American culture.

Oh you have an ex-wife? How old are you and what year of med school are you in? Yeah, I've heard Japanese tend to be much more conservative.

Best of luck to you. Live your life, not your parents! (everyone says that)

Last edited:
Oh you have an ex-wife? How old are you and what year of med school are you in? Yeah, I've heard Japanese tend to be much more conservative.

Yeah, I think being a half Italian & half Viet gay male, my parents were fairly liberal and had to accept a lot, but they were super supportive, so no biggie for me. haha.

Best of luck to you. Live your life, not your parents! (everyone says that)

31. Yes I am Japanese American, mostly I am distant from my family, my girlfriend who has a wonderful relationship with her parents thinks I should be closer with my folks, she is not Asian, she is white, and I am afraid she is going to experience their unpleasant side if she meets them.