Feeling discouraged. What are my realistic chances? Be honest.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am ready to start studying for the DAT. However I have a couple issues holding me back.

Stats: 3.65 oGPA, 3.7sGPA

1.) I am also considering podiatry. But I think the only part of this decision luring me towards podiatry is I would be matriculating as early as next Fall as opposed to Fall 2017 for dental. I love both careers. Have shadowed multiple dentists and podiatrists and would be happy doing both. I am turning 24 in October and am just excited and anxious to move on to the next part of my life aka professional school. I would be out of pod school by 29, dental by 28.

2.) I have around 60 credits and an associates degree from a CC. I do have higher level science classes (organic 1/2, gc 2, genetics, physio, etc) from a 4-year. I still need a couple classes (micro and ecology) for my bachelors. Podiatry programs are fine without them. Dental pretty much demands them. Even though I have well over 100 credits. I could and would do them by the time I matriculated IF I did dental.

My BIG fear is not getting into dental school. I know for a fact I will get into pod school so that is a safer choice for me. My confidence is high for the DAT. Plenty of time to study and kill it but the idea of not getting any acceptances would crush me and set me back. I know my stats are high but I fear my not so traditional path would hurt me.

I've been working to support myself since I was 17 putting myself through school as we'll so I'm already around 40k in debt from student loans. I couldn't always take 15 credit hours, etc. due to working full time.

It has been a long journey and I am ready to move on to the next step of my life. I would love for that to be dental but I fear not getting in at all.

Thoughts?

Thank you all so much. This community is truly great.

- A confused and lost student.

Members don't see this ad.

You have great grades and with a completed bachelor's degree, I'm sure you'd make a great applicant.

Assuming you do well on your DAT, your biggest challenge seems to be committing to dentistry. It may seem challenging, but there are plenty of applicants with lower stats that get accepted.

Your "not so traditional" path will not hurt you. If anything, it'll help you. Take whatever you've experienced throughout your journey and make it work for you.

Good luck.

Thank you for the response!

I guess it comes down to two things for me..

First the issue of having to wait a year to get started. I turn 24 next month and just feel I should be at that next point in my life. In the long run I would get out one year earlier in dentistry. I just hate sitting around one more year, working the same job and not moving forward. Does that make sense? I will be 25 entering D-school. Yes it is only one more year but really almost 2 years from now. :(

Second, I do feel I would make a great applicant however that fear of NOT getting in anywhere is unsettling. I have a good friend who was very bright, had good grades (mine are slightly better), double major, good EC's, etc. But only 19 on DAT. He only get into one school. Yes I do plan to absolutely kill the DAT and my grades are higher but still.

Also I know in dentistry if I did not want to specialize school would be considerably less stressful. podiatry it's all about grades and ranking for residency. Talked to a few dental students I know and they say "C's get degrees" in dental school, for those who do not want to specialize.

A lot of thinking to do. Been worrying on it all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want something bad enough go get it. If you don't get it the first time, try again. I have multiple people in my class who tried for 4+ years to get into dental school.
And why would you worry about things you can't control? Try as hard as you can and do well on the DAT, apply and let things fall into place.

Make the best of your situation in wanting to go to dental school and hating your job. You never mentioned your shadowing hours, so it might be a good idea to get those hours up to increase your exposure and want towards dentistry. If I were you I would study hard for the DAT and keep my job while looking for a paid internship in the dental field.

Thank you for the response!

I guess it comes down to two things for me..

First the issue of having to wait a year to get started. I turn 24 next month and just feel I should be at that next point in my life. In the long run I would get out one year earlier in dentistry. I just hate sitting around one more year, working the same job and not moving forward. Does that make sense? I will be 25 entering D-school. Yes it is only one more year but really almost 2 years from now. :(

Second, I do feel I would make a great applicant however that fear of NOT getting in anywhere is unsettling. I have a good friend who was very bright, had good grades (mine are slightly better), double major, good EC's, etc. But only 19 on DAT. He only get into one school. Yes I do plan to absolutely kill the DAT and my grades are higher but still.

Also I know in dentistry if I did not want to specialize school would be considerably less stressful. podiatry it's all about grades and ranking for residency. Talked to a few dental students I know and they say "C's get degrees" in dental school, for those who do not want to specialize.

A lot of thinking to do. Been worrying on it all day.

So what if he only got into one school, one acceptance is all you need. There are no celebrity dinners for those that got into multiple schools. You also can't compare GPA's/DAT's to other people. So what if his GPA was similar, so are about 97% of the people applying to dental school. They look at the whole package. Putting yourself through school will give you a big leg up, maybe your friend bombed his interviews, who knows???? You don't need to "kill" the DAT, a 19, 20 or better will get you interviews, the rest is up to you in the interview. Your GPA is above average for accepted students and the average matriculation age is 25 I think. Relax. Being honest :).