Omidjoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
Its spring break.... your supposed to feel relaxed and enjoying it however i'm stuck here moping about why i cannot seem to get the Grades.... perhaps some stories of people who worked hard and just got shafted but in the end succeeded would lift my spirits...

PMinty44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Omidjoon said:
Its spring break.... your supposed to feel relaxed and enjoying it however i'm stuck here moping about why i cannot seem to get the Grades.... perhaps some stories of people who worked hard and just got shafted but in the end succeeded would lift my spirits...
Omidjoon, grades are not everything. When you apply to med school there are other factors that can outweigh not stellar grades. Keep your chin up. If you are determined to become a physician, nothing or noone can stand in your way. Trust me.

biendesalud

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Heisenberg
Status
There are many people who are accepted with 'below average' gpa's. You might not get into a 'top 10' school, but how important is that? It's easy to get caught up in if you read a lot of these threads. I always spent time at the free clinic when I was down about my 'acceptance potential.' It reminded me why I was going into medicine and gave me a boost to get back to the books and study. As far as Spring Break goes, at least take a long weekend and get away from the books. It is important to achieve balance.

[EDIT] Check out this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176841

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
Omidjoon said:
Indeed grades are important, but they absolutely are not everything. There are a million other things you can be out there doing to make yourself a strong applicant. Clinical experiences (like shadowing or working in the health care field) are absolutely great and definately very good way to build your application up. Getting involved with student organizations or doing research are also good ideas.

You don't have to be a perfect applicant to get into medical school. I got in with more B's than A's on my transcript. So keep your head up and when school gets you down go shadow and remind yourself exactly why you love medicine.

Good luck,
s

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
I'm sorry to say that they are right about the grades. They are not a guarantee (especially since a standardized test is given almost equal weight in preliminary screening at some schools). I have by far more As than Bs on my transcript (not trying to brag) and no Fs, just one C, no classes taken at comm college. So far, I am waiting on a waiting list of a school I probably won't attend because of the location and some other things. Currently, I'm looking into re-applying. Good luck in your efforts to become a physician. Good grades can be quite an advantage when paired with a good mcat score. Don't ever forget that. Always strive to be above average for the schools to which you want to apply.
I hope this post was not a downer.... just adding my experience in hopes that it will help others.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Omidjoon said:
seriously.... i know it's like noon, but have a beer.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
OP, I got C's in undergrad Orgo...look at me now!:)
I did take upper level chem and grad classes that I did well in though so they may have helped...dont give up, and keep working hard....do you feel as if you get quality study time, or that you have good study habits and techniques?

Keberson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
Status
I got lots of C's, got a 3.5 science GPA and got a whopping 25 on the mcat. Grades are not everything.

Dragonfly411

Megalagrion jugarum
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2004
Status
Hello, OP! Please keep your head up! Based on what you said in your previous posts, it seems like you are a freshman, and you may still be adjusting to college. Even though you may feel that you're not making stellar grades, it is still early in undergrad, and you have much time to improve!

I know that I felt the same way as you during freshman and sophomore years during undergrad (I went to Northwestern University). Let me tell you that I did not feel very happy with my grades. I got three C's my first year (one of them was during summer Orgo) and then more B's than A's up until the last quarter of sophomore year. Miraculously, my sudden transition happened during that last quarter of sophomore year where I started making all A's and A-'s, and I continued scoring this way all throughout the rest of undergrad. So essentially, without freshman year and the first two quarters of sophomore year, I would've had way above a 3.7. In the end, I had a 3.50 BCPM and 3.58 cumulative GPA.

I didn't slack off at all during freshman and sophomore years, either. I studied my butt off, but do you know what I did differently throughout the course of undergrad? I didn't study any harder; I just studied differently, meaning I managed my time better and become more attentive of how I could perform well on the exams (i.e., studying relevant material for the exam instead of just any material). I also went into office hours more and made sure I got my questions answered by the professor (not the T.A.) before the exam. I did many other things, too, but those are the main ones.

Anyway, I just wanted my story to give you some hope that you can always improve in the future! Keep trying and reflect on how you can do things more efficiently. Making progress is also a lot easier if you set concrete goals for yourself and try to accomplish them within a certain period of time (that's what I did).

Oh, and also, despite my three C's and many B's, I still got accepted into med school! I think what may have impressed the adcoms is my significant improvement in grades (along with the other parts of my application => like the other posters said, there is definitely more to a med school applicant than letter grades!). Well, good luck!