Feeling dumber the closer I get to CK. Do you ever feel ready?

DrMcCoy

Psychdoctor-in-training
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Lost in the Rockies
I take Step 2 CK in a week. My last practice NBME 2 weeks ago was a 230 and I've just been doing Uworld since. I've only gotten through the Qbank once because I'm slow. But I thought I was in decent shape. I haven't had time to review everything I planned to though, which is freaking me out a little (hello neuro, I nailed your shelf but haven't really thought about you since Jan). Recently I've also been feeling like my head is swimming with info and like I'm forgetting things that I already went over as I attempt to cram more info in. For the past few days, I have also been getting slightly more Uworld questions wrong than usual (I am still doing new questions though).

I am trying to plow though Qbank questions fast now in order to finish. So maybe that's the issue with feeling like I'm getting more wrong. Or maybe I'm just getting tired? Just wondering if this is a common reaction. Since everyone always talks about how easy CK is, it's unsettling to feel like there's so much material that I still don't know and so much more that I could have studied.

Last edited:

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I take Step 2 CK in a week. My last practice NBME 2 weeks ago was a 230 and I've just been doing Uworld since. I've only gotten through the Qbank once because I'm slow. But I thought I was in decent shape. I haven't had time to review everything I planned to though, which is freaking me out a little (hello neuro, I nailed your shelf but haven't really thought about you since Jan). Recently I've also been feeling like my head is swimming with info and like I'm forgetting things that I already went over as I attempt to cram more info in. For the past few days, I have also been getting slightly more Uworld questions wrong than usual (I am still doing new questions though).

I am trying to plow though Qbank questions fast now in order to finish. So maybe that's the issue with feeling like I'm getting more wrong. Or maybe I'm just getting tired? Just wondering if this is a common reaction. Since everyone always talks about how easy CK is, it's unsettling to feel like there's so much material that I still don't know and so much more that I could have studied.
That's life man. I spend every day thinking about how much I don't know.

Jun 13, 2016
My best assessment ended up being 10 points lower than my exam and it was only a week before. All you can do is study. Also, if you feel like you studied for a ton of time in one day and are no longer learning, stop and take a nice break. At this point all you can do is learn the little memorization things anyway

Reactions: lymphocyte

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did 15 points better than my last practice on step 2, and I delayed the test from my actual study period because I didn't want it on my apps...so I probably would have done better had I actually taken it immediately after studying. I don't know if that is others experiences or a any kind of a rule, but for me, the step 2 practice tests seemed pretty inaccurate.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
The breadth of knowledge for CK makes it seem like you could never know enough but people do just fine. Most do better than step 1, at least numerically

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
I basically never studied for shelf exams.

I only did about 1/3 of the World QBank.

I thought I would fail but couldn't put it off.

I got a respectable score.

You really will be OK.

Lol, my first ever post was "Step 2 CK Slacker Needs Serious Advice."