Feeling extremely discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I quit my job as a scribe?

• Total voters

ILoveSethMacfarlane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not personal; it's business. If you don't want to work for another doctor in the hospital/practice, then quit. Otherwise, keep chugging.

Fifteen, maybe 20 years from now, you could find yourself with two scribes and decide you like one better. You couldn't be faulted for choosing the one you prefer working with, and you couldn't be expected to keep up with the other one just to spare his/her feelings.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I know it sucks, but you'll get over it with time.

Don't quit. If you give up that easily you probably won't do well in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. Throughout life you'll meet people who you don't click with or ppl who just don't like you. Just be professional and nice towards others and that's all you can really do.

I wouldn't quit unless you are sure you will get another job, or you can start looking for another job and quit when you get one?

This is more than "not clicking" with a coworker and putting up with it. The doctor cut the OP's hours (and their pay) in favor of someone else. Clearly the lack of hours bothers you, so start looking for a new and better job if things don't change. No point in quitting until you find one, however, since you work so few days a month that you have time to do both (sorry to say).

This is more than "not clicking" with a coworker and putting up with it. The doctor cut the OP's hours (and their pay) in favor of someone else. Clearly the lack of hours bothers you, so start looking for a new and better job if things don't change. No point in quitting until you find one, however, since you work so few days a month that you have time to do both (sorry to say).
Yes I have class Mon Wed and research on Fri so I am only available 2 days a week to work as it is. The lack of hours does bother me. It just feels wrong having my hours cut just like that.

Yes I have class Mon Wed and research on Fri so I am only available 2 days a week to work as it is. The lack of hours does bother me. It just feels wrong having my hours cut just like that.
It's not wrong. It's not personal. And it doesn't sound anything at all like he dislikes you. He clearly just likes her more. Nothing wrong with that. It just is what it is. Don't quit; it'll make you look weak and childish. And in the end, you're not there to be the best liked scribe. You're there to learn and get the experience; focus on that and don't get your feelings involved.

Reactions: 2 users

If you are doing a lot of things on the side then it would probably be better to just keep the job so you can show commitment on your application. They may just pair you with a new doc like they said.

If you are doing a lot of things on the side then it would probably be better to just keep the job in the hopes that they pair you with a new doc. If they keep cutting hours though then it would be time to reconsider.
Yes I have quite a busy weekly schedule as it is which is why I don't want to quit. As much as I hate the situation, this job is very flexible and it allows me to go to school and do research fairly comfortably. I just wish I did both Tues and Thurs and I didn't get cut off like this because I can't do my job. There have been lack of hours before but it was due to doctor's taking vacations or days off randomly in the week or taking my shift to train a new scribe. My lack of hours this time is due to my incompetence and it just sucks to realize that. And I'm paying for it because now I don't get paid as much.

It's not wrong. It's not personal. And it doesn't sound anything at all like he dislikes you. He clearly just likes her more. Nothing wrong with that. It just is what it is. Don't quit; it'll make you look weak and childish. And in the end, you're not there to be the best liked scribe. You're there to learn and get the experience; focus on that and don't get your feelings involved.
I am actually trying to get a recommendation letter from him as well but I don't feel comfortable asking him anymore.

How much time do you have left before you ask for it? Even if it's for this cycle, I'd still stick it out. If I were you, I'd view it as a challenge to become as good as the other scribe. If he still doesn't like working with you as much as he likes working with her when you're both really great then it's just that he prefers her work personally. Usually this is because they're just more in tune with each other than you two are. In that case, he will be happy to write you a great letter since you're just as good a scribe as she is.

To put it as gently but firmly as possible, you won't always be everyone's favorite, but if you decide to pout and give up because of that, medicine might be too difficult for you.
I am actually trying to get a recommendation letter from him as well but I don't feel comfortable asking him anymore.

Scribing is really about the "fit". It's difficult when you and the doc don't gel well together. It's okay! Don't quit though. Try to find another doctor to work with.

How much time do you have left before you ask for it? Even if it's for this cycle, I'd still stick it out. If I were you, I'd view it as a challenge to become as good as the other scribe. If he still doesn't like working with you as much as he likes working with her when you're both really great then it's just that he prefers her work personally. Usually this is because they're just more in tune with each other than you two are. In that case, he will be happy to write you a great letter since you're just as good a scribe as she is.

To put it as gently but firmly as possible, you won't always be everyone's favorite, but if you decide to pout and give up because of that, medicine might be too difficult for you.
I have been working with him since last April and I want to apply this cycle (May). I am not sure when to ask to be honest, maybe in March? I just feel really down about my hours getting cut like that. I was working so hard.

Scribing is really about the "fit". It's difficult when you and the doc don't gel well together. It's okay! Don't quit though. Try to find another doctor to work with.
I am not sure if it's because of how we get along, I think she takes better notes than me. I can't say for sure.