Feeling guilty about leaving my residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staples31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So about a month into my FP PGY1 year I finally made up my mind that I wanted to be a psychiatrist. (Real nice, right!) The good news is my PD was very cool about it, and I interviewed and got a 2nd year slot in the same town (Tulsa) in Psych. I'm finishing my internship with the FP program. I have an inclination to help in some way to find an appropriate replacement. I wonder if anyone has any advice. Would I be stepping on my PD's toes if I were to advertise the open spot on websites like this or residentswap? Anyone know of FP programs closing where there will be PGY1's in need of a home? Any thoughts welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

UTMB comes to mind. Who has any idea how long that place is gonna remain open. And don't feel too guilty. It may be residency but it's still just a job. They'll find a replacement sooner or later. Good thing you didn't waste time in a field you didn't like.

If you break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend, would you work to try to find them a new one?

This is not your responsibility, and in fact I would advise you not to pursue it. You have already stepped up to the plate by completing your PGY-1 year. Finding a PGY-2 replacement is your PD's job. He or she will have a mechanism to do so. Don't try to do it for them. They may not want the opening advertised openly on the internet.

This is silly talk. Do you think the program gives a flying fuddle when they terminate residents? Read the thread below on this one and your guilty feelings will quickly wash away. Do programs really have your best interest at heart when they are working you into the ground? You sound like some beat up woman saying she misses her abusive bf after taking out a restraining order on him. :confused:

I had heard that once you start a residency, you may not apply to another residency, is this something that is dependent on the contract you sign with your residency?

So about a month into my FP PGY1 year I finally made up my mind that I wanted to be a psychiatrist. (Real nice, right!) The good news is my PD was very cool about it, and I interviewed and got a 2nd year slot in the same town (Tulsa) in Psych. I'm finishing my internship with the FP program. I have an inclination to help in some way to find an appropriate replacement. I wonder if anyone has any advice. Would I be stepping on my PD's toes if I were to advertise the open spot on websites like this or residentswap? Anyone know of FP programs closing where there will be PGY1's in need of a home? Any thoughts welcome!

I believe you will learn this term in your psych residency.

Enabling. Stop doing it.

If you break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend, would you work to try to find them a new one?

This is not your responsibility, and in fact I would advise you not to pursue it. You have already stepped up to the plate by completing your PGY-1 year. Finding a PGY-2 replacement is your PD's job. He or she will have a mechanism to do so. Don't try to do it for them. They may not want the opening advertised openly on the internet.

Just finish your year and move on.The program doesn't need your help.

Cambie

You all made me laugh, and gave good advice too, which I will take. In answer to the question about if you can apply to other programs, I believe that once you match you are effectively signing a contract to complete an intern year with that program. But contracts can be broken. My program asks for 1 month notice before you leave if you are to break the contract.

Thanks for the replies...

OP,
That is nice you are thinking about your program and your PD in all this.
I agree w/the above advice.

Don't worry about it...the PD will find another resident. What was not good for you will be a good opportunity for someone else who needs to move to Tulsa, or who just needs a job/residency position. Don't do anything...the program will take care of it.

Agree with the above...generally once you match it's very good if you at least complete the intern year, even if you decide the specialty is not for you. The contract is generally for 1 year. Of course the programs don't want people to switch or quit, but if you have a good reason for switching and they know about it months in advance, it's generally not in their interest to try to keep you there.

I had heard that once you start a residency, you may not apply to another residency, is this something that is dependent on the contract you sign with your residency?

Once you match to a program, it is a match violation to try to go somewhere else to start your residency. However, once you show up for work, you are bound by the contract (generally one year) you sign with the residency program. It is no longer a match violation to apply to another residency, but it is generally good form to finish out your year and give notice so that you can be replaced.