MA/MS Feeling Hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

9each

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds very dramatic but honestly I'm very worried about my future with a psychology undergrad. I'm a third year student in Canada and I have doubts that I will get into a masters program. My average is current 81% (it might decrease).
Clinical psychology masters programs are incredibly competitive and have a limited amount seats (15-30)
I'm wondering if there is any hope for me and what universities take in people with lower marks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t know about programs and they’re admission criteria, but the approach of “my grades are bad and might get worse, who will have me” is not likely to work out for you. This strategy of “aiming low” will set you apart from the competition for top programs. You are in your third year, so presumably have a three semesters to work on things. You say your grades “might” get worse. Do you not have some control over this? You are predicting a negative outcome when you have some agency over the outcome. I’m no cognitive therapist but that sounds like a major problem right there.

Identify what needs to happen for your grades to improve (e.g., I need an A on the next two quizzes and at least a B+ on the final paper), figure out what’s been keeping you from doing better, and change your behavior so that you’ll do better. Otherwise, things aren’t going to work out the way you want them to. If you figure things out, it may mean a few years of work in the field (applied or research or both- depending on career goals) to show good programs that you’re likely to succeed and the behaviors that led to your poor academic perform earlier are a thing of the past and you’ve changed and matured as you progressed through you educational and career development. It’s not hopeless unless you decide it is- feelings aren’t facts unless you make them so!

Reactions: 5 users
I sometimes wish I was in Canada, but I'm not. :nailbiting:

Definitely consider a 'gap year' or two, in a lab, employment, and/or volunteer with clinical experience (if you want a clinical degree). It helps to be excited about the field when you begin graduate school, otherwise you won't sustain the workload, once in graduate school. Plus I agree with above, focus on manageable goals to get you through undergrad, rather than the big picture (sometimes helps me when overwhelmed).

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is definitely hope for you. Agree with the previous commenters about taking time to find related work & enjoy the field again, without the stress of grades. Working & making money will also help you mature and importantly- build confidence. This will trickle into new work achievements which will show through a better application into programs.

You are still very EARLY on in your career, being a 3rd year. There is a lot you can still do to reach your goals. Good luck!

Have you considered taking more courses and/or adding a major? if you dual major in something related (sociology, anthropology), you'll add enough credits to boost your overall average if you get As in the remaining classes.

You seem discouraged and concerned that your grades will not improve, however. I wonder if there are external factors affecting your grades or if you've always struggled academically? It's hard to tell what would be helpful without having a sense of your general academic history.