Feeling insecure...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Smexy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview at UCLA but has been feeling very insecure about my abilites ever since then. I have good stats for most MD schools but certainly not for schools like UCLA (my mcat is a few points lower than their median) I do have a unique life story. I honestly love the school a lot and would want nothing more than a chance to be their student. However, I still think that my interview might has been a mistake, pity offer, or just to fill the space kind of an interview? Do you think that school like UCLA is willing to take a student with lower stats if the person proves to be a good, well rounded, and compassionate person?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be insecure. Obviously, there is something special about your app that appeals to the admissions committee. Embrace it! And congratulations on the II!

I'm in the same boat. I feel kind of insecure about an upcoming interview at a top 10 public. I'm honestly feeling pretty confused about it all. At first I too thought it was an error.

But realize that our stats are well within their 10th percentile, so they do accept people with our stats. Plus I know some 40 mcat people rejected from ucla post interview, so numbers don't matter as much at UCs once you get the interview.

You got an interiew invite. Show up, and rock it, and you can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats usually get you the interview, and your interview assessment is what get you in :) seems like you're safe!

Reactions: 1 user
Perspective. You are doing better than many/most medical school applicants. Cut the neuroticism out. There's no room for insecurity... because next it will be about the school you attend, your preclinical scores, your Step 1, Step 2, your choice in specialty, your residency applications, etc. etc. It will never end in this field. Just be yourself and you will be okay. You got an interview at a California school, that's impressive in itself. Be proud of that ****.

You've got to be kidding me?! Okay, so would you rather have NOT gotten any interviews? This takes pre-med neuroticism to a whole other level. I echo the sentiment that you guys got interviews because you are deserving candidates, but unless you get an attitude adjustment, I am a bit concerned over how you may come across during your interviews. Self-help section of Barnes and Noble, stat!

IyanlaVanzant1-560x396.png

the SOM sees something in you. NO, they're not just trying to fill an interview spot, they have 1000 others who'd take that spot.

Do you have some sort of hook? Athlete? URM? Unusual ECs/research?

do you have a recommender that has a tie to the SOM?

Remember, interviews are often "blind" so likely your interviewer(s) will not have your stats when they interview you, so feel free to shine.

They may have your list of classes and ECs, but likely not actual grades or MCAT.

I received an interview at UCLA but has been feeling very insecure about my abilites ever since then. I have good stats for most MD schools but certainly not for schools like UCLA (my mcat is a few points lower than their median) I do have a unique life story. I honestly love the school a lot and would want nothing more than a chance to be their student. However, I still think that my interview might has been a mistake, pity offer, or just to fill the space kind of an interview? Do you think that school like UCLA is willing to take a student with lower stats if the person proves to be a good, well rounded, and compassionate person?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Reactions: 2 users
Be confident! Just be yourself, and do your best on interview. Let's the admission committee worried if you are a good fit. Congrat on the interview.

Be confident! Just be yourself, and do your best on interview. Let's the admission committee worried if you are a good fit. Congrat on the interview.
the best thing to be at these things is yourself. if you're normal it will come across and youll be fine

if they gave you an interview, they like you

Feeling insecure about an interview invite? Are your emotions really that fragile? Will you be able to handle it when someone says something even mildly discouraging in your general direction? Jesus Christ

Members don't see this ad :)
Feeling insecure about an interview invite? Are your emotions really that fragile? Will you be able to handle it when someone says something even mildly discouraging in your general direction? Jesus Christ
Someone's irrationally insecure and anxious and you take it upon yourself to belittle them instead of showing them kindness? Really nice, man..

Reactions: 2 users
Saying that you got the interview invite as a "space filler" is insulting to the hordes of qualified people that didn't get the II from UCLA. Just be freakin confident and snow them why you are better than your stats suggest, or give up the spot so someone else can have the chance to do so.

Thank you for the kind words that some have for me and the tough love others give. I won't go into much details on my background but let just say my childhood and most of my life experiences have been beating me down in ways others might not be able to imagine. I thank you for the imposter syndrome wiki link because I honestly think I might have that. I'll continue to work hard and to be optimistic about the future. Best of luck to all of you.

Ok, I'm putting on my MSW hat (I did get in because other people seem to think I'm a very kind person IRL, but I decided to wear the ass-hat, I mean Dr. Hat and make more $ down the line)

OP, you are not alone in your childhood and life experiences. You're really not. Speaking from personal experience. But if you let your hardships define you, you will be doing not only yourself a great disservice, but those you are now called to serve, your future patients.

I agree, it is sometimes hard to realize we are deserving of the blessings that come our way, but the more you think you are unworthy, the less likely you are to overcome obstacles and rise up to your full potential.

I truly mean this in the kindest way when I say, it might help if you get some self-help. Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, watch The Secret...read some therapy books, or see a therapist. You need to own the YOU that UCLA obviously saw in you, and own it before your interview so you can really shine in person.

It may seem like you won the Golden Ticket in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by getting an interview at FUCLA with a few less stats, but in the end, Charlie turned out to the best, most deserving candidate of that entire chocolate factory because of his character.

And as much as it makes me cringe to cheer up a future Bruin, go get that chocolate factory! :)

Best of luck to you and fight on!

Last edited:
Someone's irrationally insecure and anxious and you take it upon yourself to belittle them instead of showing them kindness? Really nice, man..

You're going into medicine. You are now an adult. The time for hand holding and praise for nothing is over.

Thank you for the kind words that some have for me and the tough love others give. I won't go into much details on my background but let just say my childhood and most of my life experiences have been beating me down in ways others might not be able to imagine. I thank you for the imposter syndrome wiki link because I honestly think I might have that. I'll continue to work hard and to be optimistic about the future. Best of luck to all of you.

Imposter syndrome is very common. I had it too, thought that my mcat score was a mistake. I was actually waiting for an email telling me that it was a typo. This started to go away during third year of medical school but it's still there. Many people have crappy life experiences. Many applicants are good, well rounded, and compassionate. There's really nothing special about most people.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going into medicine. You are now an adult. The time for hand holding and praise for nothing is over.

Imposter syndrome is very common. I had it too, thought that my mcat score was a mistake. I was actually waiting for an email telling me that it was a typo. This started to go away during third year of medical school but it's still there. Many people have crappy life experiences. Many applicants are good, well rounded, and compassionate. There's really nothing special about most people.
Haha and you're going into a profession that aims to help people.. Don't rationalize being an jerk

Respectfully disagree... if anything having a strong support system is what helps us succeed both individually and as a collective. It's fine to feel insecure and uncertain of your skills and sometimes that requires guidance. What is more important is that you have the ability to help yourself when you get to that point.

This attitude is exactly why it's difficult for students to ask for help, because of this negative connotation with perceived "hand holding." I cannot disagree enough with that mentality.

Respectfully disagree... if anything having a strong support system is what helps us succeed both individually and as a collective. It's fine to feel insecure and uncertain of your skills and sometimes that requires guidance. What is more important is that you have the ability to help yourself when you get to that point.

This attitude is exactly why it's difficult for students to ask for help, because of this negative connotation with perceived "hand holding." I cannot disagree enough with that mentality.

I don't understand why you would need a strong support system because you got an interview invite. What else would be looking for when you applied?

You could use a less patronizing tone, too, pal

While I'd use a different tone, I don't disagree with the thrust of the message.

An overwhelming plurality, if not outright majority, of med students are drawn from a collection of stereotyped backgrounds (yay, diversity!). Students are the standard shy, nerdy, nice stereotype with little life or work experience. Plus, students have been PC-indoctrinated and are afraid to say anything negative, and everyone gets a participation award. Frankly, many medical students lack even a modicum of emotional toughness.

Then you go to 3rd year and deal with people with real problems. No one is going to care about your problems and whether you need a pick-me-up. Quite the opposite, you are the provider who has to deal with their problems and give them the pick-me-up.

I can see why many people will struggle with third year and clinical practice. At the same time, there is no choice because the type of people who can best deal with the patients are often not capable enough to learn the science of medicine.

Last edited:
Teaching moment! Do you think that medical schools, with their thousands of applicants are in the business of giving sympathy interviews?

You got interviewed because UCLA on paper, thinks that you would be a good addition to their class. The interview was to confirm this belief.

Wallowing in self pity is unhealthy. If you get rejected, it won't be because of your stats. The interview is now yesterday's news. There is nothing you can do about it. Look forward to the next one!

Reactions: 1 users

Seriously ^^^^. I was going to write a long reply but I just don't even feel the need. Get it together, asap.