Feeling kind of low

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by geek666, Oct 23, 2002.

  1. geek666

    geek666 Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2002
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm in some dire need of some assurance and some TLC...
    Let me give you the low down. I'm an international applicant currently based in Hong Kong. I was fortunate to have been granted three interviews and had made plans to attend them all next week (Oct.26th-Nov.7th). I had everything booked and planned out, plane tickets, room + board, etc. All I needed was a visitor visa to get into the US. Unfortunately, and to my utter dismay, I was unable to secure one. You see, my spouse (a US citizen) and I are currently petitioning the INS to get me in. Subsequently, they aren't willing to let me in anytime before the spousal visa is approved lest I think about trying to hide in my wife's closet once I'm there only to never return to Hong Kong. What this means is that I'll have to postpone these interviews (and anymore that I'll hopefully get) until such time that my spousal visa is granted, which could be as early as late December or as late as Febuary. Now, this will obviously hurt my chances but will it effectively take me out of the running? :confused:
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. tedstriker

    tedstriker wicked retahhded
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2002
    Messages:
    322
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dude, that sucks. Keep your head up, though. Plenty of folks are interviewing much later than December, so no worries. You jest gotta straighten your visa stuff out, which is obviously kinda important. ;)
     
  4. GoodMonkey

    GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2002
    Messages:
    6,792
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    geek - i honestly have no idea whether or not this will hurt your chances, as i'm not an adcom. i can suggest you call the schools and tell them your dilemma. but naive little me, that's my only advice. i'm sure there are more sage people on here w/more app experience who can be more specific.

    i really just wanted to post to express that i'm sorry about your situation and that i hope you can work things out for your interviews. :) i'm pulling for you!
     
  5. LoveDoc

    LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2002
    Messages:
    555
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is a unique situation. Do you know if adcoms would consider a conference call next week and a face to face later in the process?

    You could arrange the conference call yourself and incur the costs. If they turned it down it would at least show your fervor and dedication!

    Just a thought.
     
  6. lola

    lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2002
    Messages:
    3,848
    Likes Received:
    3
    :( i would also suggest calling the schools. i would hope that they would be understanding of your situation. it will hurt your chances to interview so late, but i doubt it will take you out of the running.
     
  7. Veilside

    Veilside Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2002
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    0
    that sucks ass
    geek, i also think you should call adcom and tell them about your situation. i'm sure they'll be understanding, hopefully. as far as affecting your chances for admissions, during those two months, many of the schools will be sending out acceptance letters, so yes, your chances may be negatively affected. but i wouldn't sweat it too much. plenty of people have gotten in with interviews lasting until april, so if your application is solid, i'm sure you won't have too much problems.
     

Share This Page