Feeling like I bombed the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the 3/12 exam, and while I had a 517-518 FL average going into it, I can't help but feeling like I completely s*** the bed on the exam. I was able to get through all of it, but I was so unsure about so many of the questions.

I KNOW for a fact I changed like 2 or 3 answers from right to wrong on one of the sections, and I can't stop dwelling on the questions I know I got wrong.

Anyone else feel/felt that way post-MCAT and still ended up doing alright on their actual score?

Members don't see this ad.

No, amazingly you’re the first person to ever feel this way following an mcat. This is definitely a rare phenomenon, I don’t think I can recall ever seeing any other posts about such an occurrence

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I revised my expectations down by 25 percentiles because of how I felt during the exam—ended up outperforming my highest FL.

Might you end up doing as badly as you felt? Maybe. Might you end up doing way better than you ever have? Maybe. But you just gotta learn to deal with the uncertainty and grit your teeth through it anyway. Hope it works out in your favour!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, amazingly you’re the first person to ever feel this way following an mcat. This is definitely a rare phenomenon, I don’t think I can recall ever seeing any other posts about such an occurrence

Well, my mom did always tell me I'm a special boy.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, my mom did always tell me I'm a special boy.
You probably did fine, especially cl spidering your practice scores were at that level. What’s done is done, try and take it easy for the next month :)

Yeah, take it easy! For what it’s worth my practice scores were around yours too.

I just took the 3/12 exam, and while I had a 517-518 FL average going into it, I can't help but feeling like I completely s*** the bed on the exam. I was able to get through all of it, but I was so unsure about so many of the questions.

I KNOW for a fact I changed like 2 or 3 answers from right to wrong on one of the sections, and I can't stop dwelling on the questions I know I got wrong.

Anyone else feel/felt that way post-MCAT and still ended up doing alright on their actual score?
Yes. I took the MCAT 17 years ago (paper exam!), but distinctly remember that I was ready to void the entire exam going into the last section. I did fine.

Having said that. The test is over. You did what you could do. Only thing to do now is review your process. Could you have put together a better study plan? Could you have studied any harder? Could you have set yourself up better on test day?

If you haven't already, I recommend drafting/otherwise working on your personal statement and work and activities sections while you wait for your score. This helps you feel like you're getting something done, and that no matter what your score is you'll have well-written essays. Also, remember all the other things you've accomplished to this point. Those don't go away even if your score is lower than what you hoped.