Feeling like I won't match top 5 on the ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please_Stand_By

Vault Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel the same? I believe most people match their top 3, but have heard from residents that some matched no where near their top, so just apprehensive about the unknowns until match day. For the most part IM candidates typically should match their top few? :confused: Any current residents feel the same way and have it work out?

/neuroticism

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else feel the same? I believe most people match their top 3, but have heard from residents that some matched no where near their top, so just apprehensive about the unknowns until match day. For the most part IM candidates typically should match their top few? :confused: Any current residents feel the same way and have it work out?

/neuroticism

Sometimes, feelings matter. In this case, you need to just forget about the match list for the next four weeks and stop thinking about it.

Large dogs

I matched relatively low down my list.

Had a great time in residency, received good training, matched into the fellowship I wanted, wouldn't trade it for the world.

YMMV.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had some big reply that was saying there's no way to know but it got deleted

it depends so much on the particulars of your app
how good your strategy was
how you make your list
for how far down it you will match
we can't say

keep in mind any accredited program that you survive will prepare you to be board certified and practice independently, in theory
if the program wasn't thought to be capable of churning out such doc grads it wouldn't be accredited

rank according to your gut,
and THANK JESUS THE SAINTS THE DEVILS THE BUDDHAS AND THE LIVING ROOM CURTAINS
that you MATCH at all

every single day after that,
be thankful you have a residency slot at all
keep your head down, don't make waves, bust your ass
be safe, pleasant, fast, in that order, at all times

then, if the program never loses accreditation, and you graduate,
do the gratitude thing all over again

TLDR:
As long as you get a slot, keep it, graduate from accredited program,
you'll be better than fine

Don't put the cart before the horse. A residency is better than no residency, wherever it is on your list. Take what you get and make lemonade, whether it is your #1 or #15.

Source: the unmatched going for round 2 (me)

Reactions: 1 users
Don't put the cart before the horse. A residency is better than no residency, wherever it is on your list. Take what you get and make lemonade, whether it is your #1 or #15.

Source: the unmatched going for round 2 (me)

Very true. Good luck this cycle!

Bump this. I won't deny that I will feel disappointed if I match outside of my top 7 (which will most likely happen since I interviewed off the waitlist for the majority of these programs and have poor interviewing skills/average app), but I know I'll get over it. Problem is--my family really wants to come to my match day, and are expecting me to match to one of my top programs, while I really don't want to go only to reveal how far down my ROL I fell. Any advice to discourage them?

Bump this. I won't deny that I will feel disappointed if I match outside of my top 7 (which will most likely happen since I interviewed off the waitlist for the majority of these programs and have poor interviewing skills/average app), but I know I'll get over it. Problem is--my family really wants to come to my match day, and are expecting me to match to one of my top programs, while I really don't want to go only to reveal how far down my ROL I fell. Any advice to discourage them?
If you don’t match you will know before match day. If you do match you should celebrate with them regardless of where.

ugh i really only loved my top two programs. feeling really ****ty about this month.

If you get a match at all, party down with your family. They don’t have to know your rank list and you should internally decide to be pleased that you made it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what? You have absolutely no control over what happens to you at this point so there's no reason to worry about it. You gave up control over your future when you entered the match. That's just how it works.

If you hate the place you can suck down a year and try and get out. Or you can do what I did and just suffer through for three years in the hope that you can go somewhere or do something you're actually interested in.

I matched relatively low down my list.

Had a great time in residency, received good training, matched into the fellowship I wanted, wouldn't trade it for the world.

YMMV.
How low? I definitely won't be happy if match past #5.

I am already having anxiety about the match. Oh gosh!

Last edited:
Sorry I have no sympathy for this. There are FMGs who are super intelligent, high board scores, research, tons of USCE who bust their ass to get into residency or fellowship and still don’t match. They are grateful for ANY opportunity for training. It’s hard for me to be sympathetic to people angsting about going below 5 on their rank list. Be happy and count your blessings when you match.

Sorry I have no sympathy for this. There are FMGs who are super intelligent, high board scores, research, tons of USCE who bust their ass to get into residency or fellowship and still don’t match. They are grateful for ANY opportunity for training. It’s hard for me to be sympathetic to people angsting about going below 5 on their rank list. Be happy and count your blessings when you match.

Sorry does FMG mean the people born and raised outside of US? Is IMG the one who partied in college in the US, booked it with a 3.1 GPA and a 21 on the Mcat, and went to the Caribbean? Cuz those ones kinda had their chance...

Sorry does FMG mean the people born and raised outside of US? Is IMG the one who partied in college in the US, booked it with a 3.1 GPA and a 21 on the Mcat, and went to the Caribbean? Cuz those ones kinda had their chance...
FMG generally means non-US citizen and IMG generally means US-citizen, but sometimes IMG means all of the above.

I was referring to foreign medical grads and not Caribbean grads. However your broad characterization of those guys is also pretty crappy - I know at least two Caribbean grads who are very intelligent people and both doing great in fellowship, but just didn’t test well on the MCAT.

Maybe don’t paint with huge broad strokes.

I was referring to foreign medical grads and not Caribbean grads. However your broad characterization of those guys is also pretty crappy - I know at least two Caribbean grads who are very intelligent people and both doing great in fellowship, but just didn’t test well on the MCAT.

Maybe don’t paint with huge broad strokes.

Me too. They made fun of me for studying for the Mcat. but everyone likes to play the victim with total disregard for their decisions they made, not to mention the bashing of people who actually cared about getting into American medical school.

Oh cry me a river

Oh man the FMG bashing trolls are coming out to play eh?
I’m an AMG for the record...directing your ire towards me is useless
You can't help but feel nervous during this process and it does not means that you don't feel for people who are having a harder time than you, but I will definitely be unhappy if math #9.

There is always a modicum of 'disappointment' if you don't match at your #1 (since you ranked it #1 for a reason). Wherever you end up, make the most of the opportunity and learn to be the best doctor/person you can be.