Feeling Misled By GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kartracer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I want to reach out to the community for some advice. I feel that I have been severely misled by my GPR in the quality of the didactic and clinical education that I am receiving. I based my Match rankings on their student handbook and interviews with administration, and the promised quality/experiences is falling dramatically short from reality. However, it is a small program. How can I make the best of a bad situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Your options are -

1) Stick it out and make the best of it for 5 months. Find your own opportunities to be educated. Start moonlighting, try to attend as much discounted CE as you can while you are still a resident.

2) Quit. Hard to know if this will blow your chances at a future opportunity, but likely not if you go into private practice and live in a decently populated area with a bunch of dentists.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried discussing your concerns with the program director and see what he/she has to say?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have discussed my disappointment with the program director and program administrator on several occasions. They will typically cite the shortcomings due to 1- a key faculty member quitting before the term 2- previous residents voiced no concern about their experiences 3- my reserved natural and lack of aggressiveness when pursuing treatment plans 4- the patient population or 5- the lecturers are pro bono and older members of the community. The say they will keep my concerns in mind and work to change them but no actual change has occurred as of yet. I honestly feel that I could be getting the same, if not more, experience by working in an FQHC and reading in my free time (nothing wrong with that, just saying).

Edit: Moonlighting is forbidden by the program.

You've made it this far into the year. Stick it out for 5 more months and then move on with your life; it's not like these last 5 months, whether spent finishing the GPR or finding a new job, are going to be a pivotal timeframe to your overall career. No sense in burning bridges now by quitting early (unless it truly is a toxic environment).

Reactions: 1 users
What exactly was promised that is not being delivered? With a little more info I can probably guide you on how to make the rest of the year successful.

I selected this program because it was presented as having a strong clinical and didactic complement. The population is highly underserved and uninsured, but there was supposed to be a budget for trying new restorative materials and writing-off procedures that we wanted experience in performing. So far none of that has happened, we’ve had approximately a dozen lectures from attending a in six months, of varying quality. I’d love to get more experience in pediatric treatment planning and behavior management, complete denture techniques, implant treatment planning and restoration, perio surgery like crown lengthening, public health dentistry (because of our population), or esthetics (I haven’t completed a bridge in my dental career from start to finish).

I've been in your situation before, stuck for 1 year in a residency feeling like it's a waste of time. It is miserable and seems permanent but it's already January. You will be out of there before you realize it. Looking back now, it didn't seem as long or drawn out as living it.
You may feel like youre lacking in didactic and clinical experiences and you may just as well be. However, it is unrealistic to believe that you can compete with the GPs who have been doing it for decades. The only way to have 10 year experience is to practice for 10 years. You will still need to keep up with your CE and get your volume in so no matter what, you'll still be a new graduate. Just try to keep a positive attitude. The light is coming closer every day and soon, you'll be out in the real world, more experienced than you were a year ago.

Unless you are in some tiny town somewhere, chances of anyone knowing you are moonlighting are miniscule.

And if they find out then what? They might kick you out? You don't really want to be there anyways!

Do you want to share the name of the program, so other students can avoid the program (if you are comfortable with that)?

I was in your shoes last year. I absolutely hated my GPR program and felt it was a complete waste of time. Some of the attendings were so bad that I felt they were endangering patients and reported it to the administration. It’s really take it or leave it at this point. I’m finished mine because the last few months were mostly off service rotations that I actually enjoyed.

Edit: it reflects extremely poorly on the program to lose a resident. I won’t worry too much about moonlighting.

I’ve spoken with the GME (graduate education) office about my concerns a month prior but they haven’t taken any action yet. They said they could possibly make some changes so that the office environment is more professional and respectful. It’s just a complete bait and switch from the interview and handbook to what I’m actually experiencing. Marshall. I think I will look into evening moonlighting opportunities, upon further reading our contract says it is up to the director’s discretion.

What exactly are you doing to meet your goals? Have you treatment planned any complex cases with the faculty? Have you personally obtained pre-authorizations and followed up on denials or approvals? Have you made any inquiry for teaching cases if there are denials? You have to make this happen!