Feeling Pretty Lost With Applications, Would Really Appreciate the Help! (WAMC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niting97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys first time poster, long time lurker here and I could really use some help. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.3

MCAT: 514 (127/129/128/130) (2nd attempt, improved from 505)

EC's: 1) Research for 4 years
2) ~120 hours volunteering at a local hospital
3) University appointed tutor for an Introductory Biology Class

LOR's: 1) LOR from my Research lab PI
2) LOR from my English professor
3) LOR from my Cell biology professor

I know my GPA is on the really low side but I have a pretty significant upward trend in my GPA (in my last 2 years I have a cGPA: 3.86 and sGPA: 3.82). My EC's are also really lacking but I am planning on spending my entire upcoming gap year shadowing and working as a medical scribe.
I was wondering if I still have a decent chance at any medical schools and what I should be focusing on in my my gap year and what my next steps should be. Also, would you guys suggest I take 2 gap years in order to really build up my EC's? Based off the MSAR data it seems I have a really low chance of being accepted anywhere but I have no idea how big of an impact my upward GPA has. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
-Thanks,
Niting

Members don't see this ad.

You would better off to apply a year from now after you accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and work as a medical scribe. Also take some science courses at a local college to raise your sGPA. You could apply this year if you are willing to apply to DO schools.. Where is your state of residence ?

I'm CA resident so not doing myself any favors there unfortunately. Do you think that even with 2 gap years to add a considerable amount of EC's I would still need to take extra courses for a post-bacc?

If you are willing to apply to DO schools you do not need the extra science courses. If you only apply to MD schools a higher sGPA will increase your chances for interviews