Feeling really discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIfutballfan

Reaction score
I am struggling with the feelings of discouragement. I come to these forums which I shouldn't do but yet can't stay away. I see many applicants with interview invites. Many with multiple, Many with lower stats than myself...
I have a high GPA, high MCAT, many many hrs of volunteering, plenty of shadowing, many hrs. of research, great LOR, even a good personal story. Yet I am sitting here interview-less.
The thought of doing this all over again next year is daunting. For those who were not accepted in your first cycle what did you do in the months leading to the next cycle? My GPA and MCAT are good and I wouldn't want to retake the MCAT. I am a Sr. so am busy with classes until spring which is when the cycle starts over. How do I "reinvent" myself while still being a full time student? I am continuing with the volunteer work I have been a part of for year. I am continuing with the research project I have been a part of...
Goodness I just want to be a Dr...

Members don't see this ad.

I am struggling with the feelings of discouragement. I come to these forums which I shouldn't do but yet can't stay away. I see many applicants with interview invites. Many with multiple, Many with lower stats than myself...
I have a high GPA, high MCAT, many many hrs of volunteering, plenty of shadowing, many hrs. of research, great LOR, even a good personal story. Yet I am sitting here interview-less.
The thought of doing this all over again next year is daunting. For those who were not accepted in your first cycle what did you do in the months leading to the next cycle? My GPA and MCAT are good and I wouldn't want to retake the MCAT. I am a Sr. so am busy with classes until spring which is when the cycle starts over. How do I "reinvent" myself while still being a full time student? I am continuing with the volunteer work I have been a part of for year. I am continuing with the research project I have been a part of...
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

You should always be working on your Plan B until you have that accept email in the Inbox.

Reactions: 3 users
What are your GPA and MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep doing what you are doing in school and in your extra-curriculars. If you don't have any interviews by Thanksgiving (11/22/18), start thinking about a gap year job the following week. Plan on working one year and then applying in 2020 and continuing to work in that second year. (Here's hoping that MCAT score doesn't expire first).

How many schools did you apply to? Did you list any hobbies, artistic endeavors, athletics or other "fun" activities on your application? Is there anything interesting or unusual on your application that sets you apart from the cookie cutter applicants?

Reactions: 2 users
Which schools did you apply to?

I think you’ll get in, your stats are excellent.

It’s way too early to be worried! Both my MD acceptances came from interview invitations that were offered in December. Your stats are great! I was a reapplicant, so let me try to answer your question;

-evaluate your school list and see if there are any adjustments to be made if you reapply (don’t do this now, do it in like, April if you still don’t have an acceptance)
-try to get as many patient contact hours as you can right now. That is probably the best way to strengthen an application with stats as strong as yours

And I know you probably won’t do it (i never did) but seriously, log off of SDN! It will help!

For what it is worth, I submitted secondaries August through September my cycle and I did not submit the secondary for the school I am attending until early October. I did not get that interview invite until February. I was extra nervous then, but looking back I realize I added unnecessary stress to my gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, how much of a factor does the time it takes in turning in a secondary affect the chances for an interview invite?

Just curious, how much of a factor does the time it takes in turning in a secondary affect the chances for an interview invite?

Well, the sooner you turn it in, the sooner it can be read. The sooner it is read, the sooner you can get an inteview invite. Keep in mind that there is a limited supply of interview invites and once one is gone, it is gone unless someone cancels. If you wanted to cruise to Antartica before the summer (there) is over, would you wait until November to book a ticket or would you hope to score a ticket now before they are sold out?? While some schools might hold back a handful of interview invites for the extraordinary candidates that might appear at the end of the season (there is always someone who was stationed abroad without internet access or some crazy thing -- or more likely, a VIP's kid who doesn't make their VIP status known until late in the season) but if you are "only" a slightly above average candidate, the earlier the better. If you are a below average candidate, submitting early won't be a factor. You'll be screened out either way.

Reactions: 1 user