Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Feeling sort of dejected lately?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by E'01, Feb 26, 2002.

1. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    As miserable as this medical school application process seemed at times, you have to admit it was sort of like being on a natural high. This is NOT a poll - I just wanted to know how people feel now that the process is winding down. I for one, feel sort of deflated and in somewhat shock that it actually went so fast (well it seems so in hindsight).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

I had all of my interviews in September-November. While I'm grateful the process is narrowing down, the string of rejection letters hasn't been fun. All in all, I've spent $5000 and countless hours on the phone and I'm glad I went through every minute of it. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see one of you next year!

4. serpiente

serpiente Senior Member

Medical Student
    I know what you mean--I feel like I'm in withdrawl. I mean I'm so psyched that I got in, but I feel kinda bummed too. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I don't know what to do with myself...no more checking the mail...worrying etc.. I can't wait for med school so I have something new to fixate on.

5. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It has been quite the roller coaster. We'd wait for so long, then, voila! You're verified. Then, you've got interviews, then (hopefully) acceptances. :) Although that part has wound down, there's still a lot of emotion involved. We're getting ready to apply for a mortgage in the new town, completing financial aid junk, and marking "final milestones" in our athletic training careers. Yeah, I think there's still a lot going on with my husband and I to complete the "process", so I don't think we feel as dejected as some. I do, though, sincerely hope to see some of you as classmates, fellow residents, or physician colleagues in the not-so-distant future! Congratulations and good luck to all! :D

6. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels

heh.. what the heck guys. ever hear of relaxin? :D

i for one, cannot wait until summer rolls around. couple more months of carefree debauchery comin up!

touchpause13 likes this.
  7. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

I still am in a little bit of shock that I got into med school. It was a long road for me and I made it. The only problem is now that I am in all I want to do is chill. Study? Hell no.

8. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    My sentiments EXACTLY Serpiente!!! Maybe that's what it is, I just can't relax. Unfortunately, thats the kind of person I am - I have to be doing something, and the med school process consumed soo much of my time. I just spoke to a doctor about what I can do to prep for school in August and he laughed and said "get as much sleep as possible!"

Well congratulations to everyone - we may not all end up as one another's classmates, but life is funny and I'm sure we'll interact with each in one way or another in this whole medical journey :)

9. irongirl

irongirl Member

I think it's a fairly common phenomenon, much like post-partum depression. We spent so many years focused on geting into med school, that once you get the letter it's like... "okay, what do I do now?". I also find myself wondering what I have just gotten myself into, not that I'm not sure I want to go into medicine, I just wonder how much I might be giving up in life to do so. It's a big reality check... it's not just a dream anymore, I really have committed my life to medicine.