Feeling sort of dejected lately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As miserable as this medical school application process seemed at times, you have to admit it was sort of like being on a natural high. This is NOT a poll - I just wanted to know how people feel now that the process is winding down. I for one, feel sort of deflated and in somewhat shock that it actually went so fast (well it seems so in hindsight).

Members don't see this ad.

I had all of my interviews in September-November. While I'm grateful the process is narrowing down, the string of rejection letters hasn't been fun. All in all, I've spent $5000 and countless hours on the phone and I'm glad I went through every minute of it. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see one of you next year!

I know what you mean--I feel like I'm in withdrawl. I mean I'm so psyched that I got in, but I feel kinda bummed too. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I don't know what to do with myself...no more checking the mail...worrying etc.. I can't wait for med school so I have something new to fixate on.

Members don't see this ad :)
It has been quite the roller coaster. We'd wait for so long, then, voila! You're verified. Then, you've got interviews, then (hopefully) acceptances. :) Although that part has wound down, there's still a lot of emotion involved. We're getting ready to apply for a mortgage in the new town, completing financial aid junk, and marking "final milestones" in our athletic training careers. Yeah, I think there's still a lot going on with my husband and I to complete the "process", so I don't think we feel as dejected as some. I do, though, sincerely hope to see some of you as classmates, fellow residents, or physician colleagues in the not-so-distant future! Congratulations and good luck to all! :D

heh.. what the heck guys. ever hear of relaxin? :D

i for one, cannot wait until summer rolls around. couple more months of carefree debauchery comin up!

Reactions: 1 user
I still am in a little bit of shock that I got into med school. It was a long road for me and I made it. The only problem is now that I am in all I want to do is chill. Study? Hell no.

My sentiments EXACTLY Serpiente!!! Maybe that's what it is, I just can't relax. Unfortunately, thats the kind of person I am - I have to be doing something, and the med school process consumed soo much of my time. I just spoke to a doctor about what I can do to prep for school in August and he laughed and said "get as much sleep as possible!"

Well congratulations to everyone - we may not all end up as one another's classmates, but life is funny and I'm sure we'll interact with each in one way or another in this whole medical journey :)

I think it's a fairly common phenomenon, much like post-partum depression. We spent so many years focused on geting into med school, that once you get the letter it's like... "okay, what do I do now?". I also find myself wondering what I have just gotten myself into, not that I'm not sure I want to go into medicine, I just wonder how much I might be giving up in life to do so. It's a big reality check... it's not just a dream anymore, I really have committed my life to medicine.