Feeling stuck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfyriwr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, brief background: I work FT as a Management Consultant in a Federal Sector. For me, it's a job. I graduated in 2015, and started working as a chemistry teacher. I LOVED making connections with the kids, and after the fact, found it to be one of the most influential things I did in my life. However, I left after a year because I was never intellectually stimulated, and the minutae of teacher life left me feeling like there was no growth in my life.

So, I switched careers to Consulting. Mind you, all of this was always just supposed to be an in between prior to going to Medical School (Major in Biology/Premedicine during College). Consulting pays really well, but I cannot imagine myself ever being fulfilled by this career.

Things I don't like in Consulting (and I don't think are part of Medicine either, correct me if I am wrong):
- Self-centered people, focus on appearance and name
- Paperwork for days
- Feel as if there is no impact
- Don't make genuine relationships like I did when I was teaching my students.

Reasons why I want to be a doctor
1. I am at a crossroads. I've ALWAYS wanted to become a Radiation Oncologist. To support someone through that stage of their life has always seemed like such an honor to me, and also rewarding (I shadowed a radonc doc when I was in HS and fell in love with it).
2. I want a flexible schedule. Having a family is important to me, and I am seriously aiming for the 3,4-day workweek

However, recently I've become interested in UIX, and the lure of a career in Product Management.

I took both my MCAT and GMAT, and scored in the 98th percentile on both exams. I have (2) options
1. Go through the long experience of medical school and 10+ years later, realize my dream
2. Go to a Top 3 Business School, get a degree with douchenobs who think they're all that, and then move into a PM role at a nerdy company like Google (which I like)

UGH HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what will make you happy. I had a career prior to this for 10 years. I made six figures with this career. I hated it. It was like torture waking up every day and going to that job. Since I've returned to school I've been broke as hell but a million times happier. Sure, I would have came out way ahead if I stayed in my old career but it wasn't fulfilling and I was miserable. For me, happiness > money. I won't be an attending until at least 39, but it doesn't matter.

However, if you only want to work 3-4 days a week, you most likely won't find that in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Self-centered people, focus on appearance and name

You could easily encounter these kinds of people depending on your school and specialty

Paperwork for days

The amount of paperwork that has to be completed for billing and legal purposes is only increasing

Feel as if there is no impact

Again, this is probably specialty dependent. An orthopedic surgeon may feel like their work is more impactful than a specialty with worse outcomes.

I want a flexible schedule. Having a family is important to me, and I am seriously aiming for the 3,4-day workweek

Again specialty dependent. If you work in emergency medicine or as a hospitalist, you'll have shift based work which is conducive to having a family (or so I've heard). I know a lot of emergency physicians that work part time as well. But you won't be making nearly as much as if you worked 5+ days because you'd be seeing less patient.

It's great that you have so many reasons that you're passionate about pursuing medicine. I would be very careful of idealizing it though because it seems to me a lot of the things you're trying to avoid are most definitely a part of medicine. You have to be realistic about these things if you don't want to end up in the same position after all that medical training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There may very well be things about medicine that are more satisfying to you than your current job. (Shadowing is a good way to help determine that.) But in medicine you will definitely find:
--Self-centered people
--Paperwork for days
--At least the occasional day when you feel you have no impact

The extent to which you form genuine relationships (with patients, at least) is probably pretty variable. I'm not trying to dissuade you at all--I just think it's important to be realistic and to dive into this with your eyes open. I'm not a doctor yet but I don't think you should go into this expecting a flexible schedule where you work 3-4 days/week. At least I don't know any doctors with schedules like that. Part-time is always a possibility later on down the line but keep in mind that you will likely have a mountain of debt and paying that off should probably be your first priority after residency (when you definitely, definitely will not have a flexible schedule).

If I were you, I'd sit on this one for a little longer. Do some more shadowing. Ask yourself if medicine is worth it to you if you can't be a Radiation Oncologist. (No specialty is guaranteed.) Are you willing to make sacrifices for at least the next 7-10 years in terms of your time, your money, and your relationships?

Reactions: 1 users
Frankly, in reading your post, I wonder what you want to do when you grow up. Your interest in Medicine sounds starry-eyed.

Start doing some patient contact volunteering and more shadowing. Then come back to us for advice.

Hi, brief background: I work FT as a Management Consultant in a Federal Sector. For me, it's a job. I graduated in 2015, and started working as a chemistry teacher. I LOVED making connections with the kids, and after the fact, found it to be one of the most influential things I did in my life. However, I left after a year because I was never intellectually stimulated, and the minutae of teacher life left me feeling like there was no growth in my life.

So, I switched careers to Consulting. Mind you, all of this was always just supposed to be an in between prior to going to Medical School (Major in Biology/Premedicine during College). Consulting pays really well, but I cannot imagine myself ever being fulfilled by this career.

Things I don't like in Consulting (and I don't think are part of Medicine either, correct me if I am wrong):
- Self-centered people, focus on appearance and name
- Paperwork for days
- Feel as if there is no impact
- Don't make genuine relationships like I did when I was teaching my students.

Reasons why I want to be a doctor
1. I am at a crossroads. I've ALWAYS wanted to become a Radiation Oncologist. To support someone through that stage of their life has always seemed like such an honor to me, and also rewarding (I shadowed a radonc doc when I was in HS and fell in love with it).
2. I want a flexible schedule. Having a family is important to me, and I am seriously aiming for the 3,4-day workweek

However, recently I've become interested in UIX, and the lure of a career in Product Management.

I took both my MCAT and GMAT, and scored in the 98th percentile on both exams. I have (2) options
1. Go through the long experience of medical school and 10+ years later, realize my dream
2. Go to a Top 3 Business School, get a degree with douchenobs who think they're all that, and then move into a PM role at a nerdy company like Google (which I like)

UGH HELP!!

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you might possibly be able to live a happy life as a product manager and not feel tortured by the idea that you "missed your calling" or whatever by not becoming a doctor, be a product manager. You will enjoy life more.