Feeling very lost for my September 1st exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAIsTheBestPlaceEver

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a retaker and English isn't my native language. Back in January I took my MCAT and scored 508:
CP 130
Cars: 123
BB and PS: 128

I've been told to not re-take by some while being told to definitely re-take for that low car's score. I am residing in California and would dream to stay in here and establish my root since I moved consistently through out childhood and teenage, and the fact that my mom is battling cancer and I want to be with her. Anyway, I took the whole summer trying to refine my cars practice and even took courses that taught me strategy, which is very helpful until yesterday. I took the Sample Test and had 87% on Cars, 26/30 on OG, 127 on FL1. However, yesterday, I found out that I scored a 124 on FL2. It absolutely shattered my heart since it was exactly what I got on FL2 back in January. I am so lost at this moment. Upon reviewing I realized that even though I understood all the questions, I was panicking because of time. Most of my errors are the result of failed reasoning/poe. I was wondering if anyone whos in the similar situation, or has experience with my situation can shed some light on me.:scared::cryi:

PS: I have 130 PS/CP, 129 BB on FL 2

Members don't see this ad.

So you retook the FL2 and you got the same scores? I would honestly have expected some kind of grade inflation from retaking the same FL.

I don't know the rest of your app, but if you're a URM or disadvantaged applicant, 508 would be generally ok, but a 123 is below the 50th percentile. It's like the old dilemma of "Scored 30+ but got below an 8 in Verbal."

If you have a generally strong app with URM/disadvantaged status, you'll be fine. Otherwise I'd retake. Just not right now.

So you retook the FL2 and you got the same scores? I would honestly have expected some kind of grade inflation from retaking the same FL.

I don't know the rest of your app, but if you're a URM or disadvantaged applicant, 508 would be generally ok, but a 123 is below the 50th percentile. It's like the old dilemma of "Scored 30+ but got below an 8 in Verbal."

If you have a generally strong app with URM/disadvantaged status, you'll be fine. Otherwise I'd retake. Just not right now.

I took FL2 once in Jan, and never looked it again till yesterday. I had no memory of the materias. But I am Asian... I dont think I am qualified as minority and disadvantaged in admins' eyes :(

I took FL2 once in Jan, and never looked it again till yesterday. I had no memory of the materias. But I am Asian... I dont think I am qualified as minority and disadvantaged in admins' eyes :(

Well it depends on your family history. You said English is not your first language, with lots of moving around during your formative years. Plus you have an immediate family hardship. I don't want to poke or pry, but you need to take a look at what the AAMC defines as disadvantaged and evaluate your situation objectively.