Feeling Very Nervous, What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarastoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know MD is pretty much a no-go, but I qualified for FAP so I'm applying anyway :).

I went to a top 20 school that my adviser said is known for grade deflation.
3.11 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA (AACOMAS)
Honors English major, Creative Writing Concentration.

My EC's
2 summers as a counselor at a Diabetes sleep away camp (1000+ hours), very clinical
1 week as a counselor for kids with food allergies
SMDEP
research on racial and SES disparities in autism diagnosis, presented at a conference
tons of LEADERSHIP positions at my university where I was a leading officer in a club, all of them in cultural/minority clubs.

All of this may make you think I am a URM, but I am technically not. I am mixed race (Iranian, FIlipina), but my activism and antiracism ECs are more along the lines of what URMs at my school did as opposed to ORMs. I emphasized cultural competency and racial disparities as part of my purpose in medicine, and my dedication throughout my resume shows it.

My MCAT? I am getting that back Tuesday. Scared poopless. Feel like it will be awful. At what score should I retake my MCAT to maintain any chance? I already bought the Aug. 16th MCAT, but I can return it this week for a full refund (FAP!). I feel like a 28 or above I can be okay, but when should I totally just say NO and retake it? 27? 26? My average practice score was around a 30, but the June 21 MCAT had a KILLER PS section.

Any thoughts, even unfiltered discouraging ones, would be truly appreciated SDN community!

Members don't see this ad.

Qui fussing; your numbers and ECs are fine. If you get >22 on the MCAT, you'll be getting lots of interviews. Good luck!

I know MD is pretty much a no-go, but I qualified for FAP so I'm applying anyway :).

I went to a top 20 school that my adviser said is known for grade deflation.
3.11 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA (AACOMAS)
Honors English major, Creative Writing Concentration.

My EC's
2 summers as a counselor at a Diabetes sleep away camp (1000+ hours), very clinical
1 week as a counselor for kids with food allergies
SMDEP
research on racial and SES disparities in autism diagnosis, presented at a conference
tons of LEADERSHIP positions at my university where I was a leading officer in a club, all of them in cultural/minority clubs.

All of this may make you think I am a URM, but I am technically not. I am mixed race (Iranian, FIlipina), but my activism and antiracism ECs are more along the lines of what URMs at my school did as opposed to ORMs. I emphasized cultural competency and racial disparities as part of my purpose in medicine, and my dedication throughout my resume shows it.

My MCAT? I am getting that back Tuesday. Scared poopless. Feel like it will be awful. At what score should I retake my MCAT to maintain any chance? I already bought the Aug. 16th MCAT, but I can return it this week for a full refund (FAP!). I feel like a 28 or above I can be okay, but when should I totally just say NO and retake it? 27? 26? My average practice score was around a 30, but the June 21 MCAT had a KILLER PS section.

Any thoughts, even unfiltered discouraging ones, would be truly appreciated SDN community!

Qui fussing; your numbers and ECs are fine. If you get >22 on the MCAT, you'll be getting lots of interviews. Good luck!

That seems super generous, but I believe you. thanks for your thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems super generous, but I believe you. thanks for your thoughts :)

I agree. I would normally defer to Goro's judgement, but 3.5/3.1 and 22 is not in great shape, since you stated that you were not a URM. I would shoot for the 28 if I were you, and since you were PTing around 30, I wouldn't be so quick to worry that you bombed. Also, I would make sure to get some shadowing in before you apply.

I have shadowed about 19 hours in a hospital, and then at this camp I worked at, I was always in the infirmary or around the medical staff. not enough?

assuming you are not a urm

mcat 32+ u got chance at MD
28-32 low chance at MD, good chance at DO
below 28 chances are not good at both

assuming you are not a urm

mcat 32+ u got chance at MD
28-32 low chance at MD, good chance at DO
below 28 chances are not good at both

:confused:

3.1sGPA + 32 MCAT + non URM =/= MD.

28-32 = good chance at DO
26- 28 = fine chance at DO.

Thank you both for your opinion. Only applying md because it is free. Not even my state school could help me :/

Would be very happy as a do tho.

:confused:

3.1sGPA + 32 MCAT + non URM =/= MD.

28-32 = good chance at DO
26- 28 = fine chance at DO.

my application cycle: 3.19 sgpa at the time of amcas submission, 33 mcat, not a urm
a year later: 3 MD interview, 2 MD acceptance, first time applying

I guess it is pretty hard to say yes or no then, huh? Congrats to you!

What were your ECs?

typical volunteering at the hospital, some research, other non-med EC nothing too special. it was the essays/rec letters/interviews that got me in. instead of just talking about what i did during activities, i focused on what i learned and how it could make me a better physician. being in a instate friendly state helped a ton too. If i was from cal, i had no shot at all lol

I guess it is pretty hard to say yes or no then, huh? Congrats to you!

thanks. it is definitely possible, but chances are not that good. you pretty much have to get 32+ on the mcat so you can show them u got the academic ability to succeed in med school. I also had a high upward curve in gpa so that help me a lot too

my application cycle: 3.19 sgpa at the time of amcas submission, 33 mcat, not a urm
a year later: 3 MD interview, 2 MD acceptance, first time applying

Congrats on being the n=1.

Also, the OP only gave their AACOMAS gpa, but they aren't applying DO. So what's the AMCAS gpa because it could be significantly lower...

Also the OP has poor clinical experience and overall below average ECs which unfortunately isn't going to help the cause...

Congrats on being the n=1.

Also, the OP only gave their AACOMAS gpa, but they aren't applying DO. So what's the AMCAS gpa because it could be significantly lower...

Also the OP has poor clinical experience and overall below average ECs which unfortunately isn't going to help the cause...

Actually, I am applying DO, I just put that I was also MD because it was free. Now I am feeling scared because I never saw my ECs as a problem. I don't think I explained them well because at this diabetes camp, even though it wasn't a hospital, I did get a lot of experience in being a caretaker in a healthcare setting. Ever had 15 diabetic girls throw up in your cabin in one night? Scary stuff blood-sugar wise haha. I know it isn't volunteering, but I got paid less than a dollar for each hour I worked, so I am counting it.

Also, to put it simply, I was Chair of a council that made decisions for the entire minority community of my school, and I was involved in pretty much everything from bottom to top, for all the 24 clubs. So I did a LOT. Probably too much, if you can't tell by my grades.

As a first time poster, I may have accidentally posted under MD when I meant DO. sorry yall...:scared: