Feinberg Essay Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the question about a personal adversity, I'm thinking about writing about when I failed my driver's test. I was devasted at first, but then practiced obsessively and passed the second time.

I could write about the death of a close friend or relative route, but I feel that beyond the grieving aspect there's really nothing original to say.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For the question about a personal adversity, I'm thinking about writing about when I failed my driver's test. I was devasted at first, but then practiced obsessively and passed the second time.

I could write about the death of a close friend or relative route, but I feel that beyond the grieving aspect there's really nothing original to say.

I probably would go with the driver's test. They want to see how you handle and correct problems... your example looks as good as any. My only concern is that it might be a little dated. (I took my driver's test 9 years ago)

I agree that the death of a loved one is pretty trite, despite the emotions involved. Yet I don't know how serious they would take the driving failure, especially since it happened so long ago. If you do decide to use it, focus on your tenacity, humility, and creativity in preparing better the second time around.

Good luck with this. I'm stumbling over it myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the adversity have to be a singular event or can it be a period of time? The summer of my mcats was pretty crappy for me since I was doing a bunch of academic stuff while going through a lot of family issues. i was wondering if that is something i can write about

Responding to a couple of comments: Pick something non-academic, non-mcat, and non-trivial. For example, they're going to assume that everyone found the mcat challenging, so it will be very difficult to distinguish yourself with an mcat essay.

Also, looking back, wasnt the DL test fairly easy the 2d time you took it? Granted, they are looking for problem-solving skills, but a more compelling essay will talk about an event / time period when the stakes were much higher... Maybe you had to get your DL asap to get a job help support your family?

good luck, everyone :luck:

Don't suppose you were ever on a plane surrounded by poisonous snakes?

Thanks I needed that one :D

Here's your closer: "As the plane landed, I realized that a combination of both creativity and commitment can help me overcome any challenge I face."

Definitely don't do the death of a loved one, that has been done to death already in the PRIMARY essays... they are sick of those. The drivers test one sounds good, you can add a little humor too. I wrote about how I tried to help my younger cousin who was doing poorly in school, and how I failed miserably, but later on realized my mistakes and changed my course of action (which ended up being successful).

when exactly did you take your driver's test though?

I wrote about my struggle against the Beast - MCAT! I wrote it 4 times...i have lots of things to discuss :D

Talk about how you faced adversity as it relates to an employment experience or something that had to do with maintaining or rebuilding relationships.

in '92, my family faced some difficulties during the LA Riot (anyone remember that?). Would this be too long ago to write about? It might seem like a long time ago but it was pretty traumatizing for me, and I learned a few things from it.

in '92, my family faced some difficulties during the LA Riot (anyone remember that?). Would this be too long ago to write about? It might seem like a long time ago but it was pretty traumatizing for me, and I learned a few things from it.

thats neat. right that. Ya, i remember!

great idea. i think it will distinguish you.

but a more compelling essay will talk about an event / time period when the stakes were much higher... Maybe you had to get your DL asap to get a job help support your family?

I know you have a point, to an extent, but sometimes I really get frustrated by comments like this. When writing my PS, I spent a lot of time agonizing over the fact that I've had a pretty dang lucky life - Great childhood, amazingly supportive parents and family, no serious money issues, or illnesses, or anything like that - and then I realized how crazy I was being. The stress of wanting to stand out, to have a "compelling story", had reduced me to the point of being *upset* that I've been so fortunate. It may make it easier, in a way, to write these essays if you do have a high stakes annecdote to share, but I think that the committees understand that it doesn't take a sob story to make a good applicant... As long as you can convey that your experiences, however "minor" in the broad scheme of things, have had a significant impact on your life, I'd like to hope that does the job.

Thanks for reading my rant, if you got this far. :) Just something that's been on my mind for a while. Good luck to everyone!

I know you have a point, to an extent, but sometimes I really get frustrated by comments like this. When writing my PS, I spent a lot of time agonizing over the fact that I've had a pretty dang lucky life - Great childhood, amazingly supportive parents and family, no serious money issues, or illnesses, or anything like that - and then I realized how crazy I was being. The stress of wanting to stand out, to have a "compelling story", had reduced me to the point of being *upset* that I've been so fortunate. It may make it easier, in a way, to write these essays if you do have a high stakes annecdote to share, but I think that the committees understand that it doesn't take a sob story to make a good applicant... As long as you can convey that your experiences, however "minor" in the broad scheme of things, have had a significant impact on your life, I'd like to hope that does the job.

Thanks for reading my rant, if you got this far. :) Just something that's been on my mind for a while. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you! I too have had a fortunate life. I went to a summer program a couple years ago and everyone around me either had friends that died of cancer or a stillborn brother or had to endure racism or got emancipated from their parents or something else. I am so lucky none of that ever happened to me. My PS though was pretty easy to write because I only decided to pursue med school two years ago and I talked about why I changed my career plans (which had to do with motivation rather than some down-on-my-luck anecdote)