Feinberg secondary due date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how late on the provided due date one can turn in Feinberg's secondary? I don't want to risk it, but I'd like an idea of how much time I have (mine's due in a couple days).

Also, did anyone else notice in the directions it says, "Please note that FSM's Supplemental application contains only 3 essay questions that should take you less than an hour to complete." Hilarious. Maybe if there were no essays the secondary would take me less than an hour to complete.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

dimebag darrell said:
Does anyone know how late on the provided due date one can turn in Feinberg's secondary? I don't want to risk it, but I'd like an idea of how much time I have (mine's due in a couple days).
You are cutting it fine. It's due 11:59pm, according to the website.

dimebag darrell said:
Also, did anyone else notice in the directions it says, "Please note that FSM's Supplemental application contains only 3 essay questions that should take you less than an hour to complete." Hilarious.
Maybe they're trying to tell us that it's really just a justification for secondary money and to not take it too seriously because they won't.

notdeadyet said:
You are cutting it fine. It's due 11:59pm, according to the website.

Thanks. I haven't started it yet, so I'll appreciate that extra day.

Members don't see this ad :)
dimebag darrell said:
Thanks. I haven't started it yet, so I'll appreciate that extra day.

Don't be late.They don't give extension.You will love it here though.

dom1n1c said:
Don't be late.They don't give extension.You will love it here though.

Can you verify that it's due by midnight of the due date?

dimebag darrell said:
Can you verify that it's due by midnight of the due date?

You can find it under "instructions" when you login to work on the application. It says: "...This means that you must submit the application form, pay the application fee, and complete the submission process no later than 11:59PM on your assigned due date."

HelenaP said:
You can find it under "instructions" when you login to work on the application. It says: "...This means that you must submit the application form, pay the application fee, and complete the submission process no later than 11:59PM on your assigned due date."

Awesome, thanks a lot. I couldn't find that anywhere.

dimebag darrell said:
Awesome, thanks a lot. I couldn't find that anywhere.

So the weird thing is that I've gotten an acknowledgement e-mail from Northwestern MSTP but have not received the main e-mail secondary invite from Northwestern yet. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks.

Man, I already turned mine in. I don't even remember seeing a due date or how long it took me to due. So many applications they all blur together. Hope I did it fast enough though.

acrobat said:
Man, I already turned mine in. I don't even remember seeing a due date or how long it took me to due. So many applications they all blur together. Hope I did it fast enough though.

For the firstround of people who got it, I think the due date is tomorrow. So I need to finish this focker. :mad:

do they screen? U sure it isn't one of those deals where they say give it to people at all different times and u have like 20 days or something?

dimebag darrell said:
Also, did anyone else notice in the directions it says, "Please note that FSM's Supplemental application contains only 3 essay questions that should take you less than an hour to complete." Hilarious. Maybe if there were no essays the secondary would take me less than an hour to complete.

Cheers

ya...it took me a couple days to actually finish the essays but northwestern is my top choice (and I finally got in) so just try your best...good luck everyone! :luck: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about northwestern and I will try to answer them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Another FSM question: My status says: "Your Supplemental Application and application fee were received August 14, 2006. Awaiting Receipt."

Does the "awaiting receipt" refer to my LORs, or is something else I was supposed to send in?

I heard that Northwestern gives you two weeks to complete their secondary. I'm assuming that that's the due date you guys are talking about?

Is there any flexibility in that due date, i.e. what happens if you're abroad or don't have good access to the internet? Are they understanding?

foofish said:
Another FSM question: My status says: "Your Supplemental Application and application fee were received August 14, 2006. Awaiting Receipt."

Does the "awaiting receipt" refer to my LORs, or is something else I was supposed to send in?

can you post the status page real quick. Ill check mine. Submitted it last night. I am certain my LOR are there already.

narc said:
can you post the status page real quick. Ill check mine. Submitted it last night. I am certain my LOR are there already.

I just submitted my application but my status page doesn't reflect that at all, nor have I gotten a confirmation e-mail. Do these take a while to kick in?

SharpieMarker said:
I heard that Northwestern gives you two weeks to complete their secondary. I'm assuming that that's the due date you guys are talking about?

Is there any flexibility in that due date, i.e. what happens if you're abroad or don't have good access to the internet? Are they understanding?

Website makes it sound very inflexible for the secondary: Keep in mind that the supplemental application due date is final and that, once paid, application fees will not be refunded.

However I think the LOR deadline is just a guideline.

It literally just says "Your Supplemental Application and application fee were received August 14, 2006. Awaiting Receipt."

I called and they said they thought it meant LORs, which aren't due today. I love how the poor people stuck answering the phones in admissions offices have absolutely no clue about their school's process, policies, etc. :)

I actually submitted yesterday, but didn't get the email until this morning...although the email was at 10:00 EST, so first thing Chicago-time...

if you are abroad, etc... contact the school, and they should give you a "reasonable" extension

p9142 said:
Website makes it sound very inflexible for the secondary: Keep in mind that the supplemental application due date is final and that, once paid, application fees will not be refunded.

However I think the LOR deadline is just a guideline.

Yeah, or at least FSM has flexible arrangements with other schools (my school is a pain and sends out letters late August, but my school sent out an email saying not to freak out about the LOR deadline, that FSM said it's fine).

Has anyone figured out what awaiting receipt means?

Hey everyone,

I submitted my application yesterday afternoon (on the due date) and checked my status today and saw that they received it on Aug 15 (today, the day after the due date). Does anyone know if this is OK, since I submitted it on time? Seeing that makes me a little nervous...

dimebag darrell said:
I submitted my application yesterday afternoon (on the due date) and checked my status today and saw that they received it on Aug 15 (today, the day after the due date). Does anyone know if this is OK, since I submitted it on time? Seeing that makes me a little nervous...
I wouldn't sweat it, Darrell. The date reflects when they go through it, not when they actually received it. My date is two days after when they got it, since I sent on a Saturday. I'm sure it's fine.

I called them, and I was told that if you are within a few weeks of the deadline for the secondary it is not a big deal. She also said that the deadline for the letters of rec is pretty much irrelevant, that they simply need to be in before November 15th or something. :confused:

so does receipt = lors? did anyone ever figure that out?

tch001 said:
so does receipt = lors? did anyone ever figure that out?

That's what the admissions secretary/assistant/whatever thought when I had called Monday, but even she didn't really know.

I'm bumping this because I realized today that I missed the due date. No matter that Northwestern had sent me their secondary later than any other school except one, and no matter that I did the secondaries in the precise order in which they were sent to me. They wanted their secondary and they wanted it now. No extensions, no exceptions.

I'm bumping this in the hopes that anyone else sitting on their app will see it. However, I can't help but note that these guys kinda remind me of playground bullies. No matter that all the other med schools were in line first. Northwestern has to cut in front of everyone else and get their satisfaction now. Can you imagine the chaos if all other med schools behaved this way?

Yes, I'm bitter. But c'mon, this is seriously poor form on the part of Northwestern. I realize that this policy helps them "screen out" their applicants, but it's a greedy, bullying policy that butts them ahead of other schools who get their secondaries out first.

Ah. Done venting now. :p
Frogs

I'm bumping this because I realized today that I missed the due date. No matter that Northwestern had sent me their secondary later than any other school except one, and no matter that I did the secondaries in the precise order in which they were sent to me. They wanted their secondary and they wanted it now. No extensions, no exceptions.

I'm bumping this in the hopes that anyone else sitting on their app will see it. However, I can't help but note that these guys kinda remind me of playground bullies. No matter that all the other med schools were in line first. Northwestern has to cut in front of everyone else and get their satisfaction now. Can you imagine the chaos if all other med schools behaved this way?

Yes, I'm bitter. But c'mon, this is seriously poor form on the part of Northwestern. I realize that this policy helps them "screen out" their applicants, but it's a greedy, bullying policy that butts them ahead of other schools who get their secondaries out first.

Frogs

EEk! That sucks - I'm sorry.

How long did they give you?

I called them, and I was told that if you are within a few weeks of the deadline for the secondary it is not a big deal. She also said that the deadline for the letters of rec is pretty much irrelevant, that they simply need to be in before November 15th or something. :confused:

^^^^

i didn't realize there was a deadline either (i just missed it)

I hope the above is true

^^^^

i didn't realize there was a deadline either (i just missed it)

I hope the above is true

The woman I talked to said nothing of the kind. She just went on about "following directions" like I was a 2 year old. She was so condescending... I haven't been addressed in that manner since I was about 4.

Sorry. I'm just so, so pissed. I know that, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't be happy at such a self-centered school that insists on jumping to the front of the line, anyway. But their whole attitude of entitlement is pretty off-putting. I mean, if Harvard & Hopkins can be respectful of students' time and other committments, why can't Northwestern?

OK. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Relaaaaaaaaax.

I am now officially over it.

Frogs

The woman I talked to said nothing of the kind. She just went on about "following directions" like I was a 2 year old. She was so condescending... I haven't been addressed in that manner since I was about 4.

Sorry. I'm just so, so pissed. I know that, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't be happy at such a self-centered school that insists on jumping to the front of the line, anyway. But their whole attitude of entitlement is pretty off-putting. I mean, if Harvard & Hopkins can be respectful of students' time and other committments, why can't Northwestern?

OK. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Relaaaaaaaaax.

I am now officially over it.

Frogs

thats so lame. did she say you coudln't submit it all? or just yell at you?

thats so lame. did she say you coudln't submit it all? or just yell at you?

Her last sentence to me was. "We expect that students should be able to follow directions, and you did not." Then I said OK and goodbye, she said goodbye, and that was that.

But, please, call for yourself. Perhaps I just got a really mean lady, and you'll have better luck with a different receptionist. If that happens, please post and let me know... I'll try a second (and even a thrid) time.

Frogs

Her last sentence to me was. "We expect that students should be able to follow directions, and you did not." Then I said OK and goodbye, she said goodbye, and that was that.

But, please, call for yourself. Perhaps I just got a really mean lady, and you'll have better luck with a different receptionist. If that happens, please post and let me know... I'll try a second (and even a thrid) time.

Frogs

yea, don't give up. Was she just a receptionist? If so, she seems like she's on a powertrip...its not like she's an adcomm member. If someone else was told that the deadline is not absolute, there's still hope. If it is, then they do grant extensions, so call and beg and give an excuse and i'm sure they'll reconsider.

Frogs

Same situation for me. Did you send it in already? I can't tell. If you didn't the bright side is that it's one less school to worry about. I finished the essays and was ready to submit before stumbling on this post which made me refer back to the email that told me my due dates. How I missed that, I have no idea.

Did any one get this email from Feiberg?

[Dear remarkal3le:

We were very happy to receive your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine, but disappointed that you did not return the supplemental application material to us. We'd like to get to know you further, and as a result are extending your supplemental due date to October 31, 2006. Please call or email us by Monday, October 30, to let us know you will submit your supplemental application by October 31, 2006.

The Feinberg School of Medicine is one of the top medical schools in the United States . We are geographically located in the heart of the city of Chicago , Illinois , on a campus that also accommodates Northwestern Memorial Hospital , the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, VA Chicago Health Care System, the Northwestern Law School and the Kellogg School of Business. More than 3000 faculty members offer instruction to our nearly 700 first through fourth year medical students. With students that represent the myriad of racial and ethnic groups, about 40 states in the United States and several foreign countries, varying socio-economic backgrounds, and from about 50 undergraduate colleges and universities, the Feinberg School of Medicine takes pride in producing some of the most skilled, well-informed and confident medical school graduates in the country. Our website address is http: www.medschool.northwestern.edu/admissions/md/

If you decide to continue your application with us, or have questions or concerns, please contact Pamela A. Meadows, Special Projects Coordinator, at (312) 503-1057 or [email protected] tomorrow, Monday, October 30 by 3:00pm Central Time.

My very best wishes to you,

Sincerely,
Delores G. Brown, M.S., M.Ed.

Dean of Admissions]

I don't really know what to make of it but it might just be my paranoid mind kicking in...

[Dear remarkal3le:

We were very happy to receive your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine, but disappointed that you did not return the supplemental application material to us. We'd like to get to know you further, and as a result are extending your supplemental due date to October 31, 2006. Please call or email us by Monday, October 30, to let us know you will submit your supplemental application by October 31, 2006.

The Feinberg School of Medicine is one of the top medical schools in the United States . We are geographically located in the heart of the city of Chicago , Illinois , on a campus that also accommodates Northwestern Memorial Hospital , the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, VA Chicago Health Care System, the Northwestern Law School and the Kellogg School of Business. More than 3000 faculty members offer instruction to our nearly 700 first through fourth year medical students. With students that represent the myriad of racial and ethnic groups, about 40 states in the United States and several foreign countries, varying socio-economic backgrounds, and from about 50 undergraduate colleges and universities, the Feinberg School of Medicine takes pride in producing some of the most skilled, well-informed and confident medical school graduates in the country. Our website address is http: www.medschool.northwestern.edu/admissions/md/

If you decide to continue your application with us, or have questions or concerns, please contact Pamela A. Meadows, Special Projects Coordinator, at (312) 503-1057 or [email protected] tomorrow, Monday, October 30 by 3:00pm Central Time.

Sincerely,

Dean of Admissions]

I don't really know what to make of it but it might just be my paranoid mind kicking in...

maybe they really want u!!!
i would say go for it!!!

[Dear remarkal3le:

Sincerely,

Dean of Admissions]

I got this letter. I think I'm gonna take the chance and turn an app in.

i turned mine in a full month+ late, having completely forgotten about the deadline in my efforts to juggle cash outflow with rolling vs. non-rolling school status and my preference for each school . . . poverty sucks. anyway, i was told that my application appears to be in the review process, but that it's still possible that they've "deactivated" my file. seems inappropriate that they'd take my cash if my file weren't active, though . . .

[Dear remarkal3le:

Sincerely,

Dean of Admissions]

I got this email too! I figured since they were giving me a second chance, I just HAD to send in the application. I missed the deadline the first time around because I forgot about the 2 week deadline. Anyway, I emailed them this morning and I just sent in the secondary earlier this afternoon. I wonder how come they are giving extensions...I've never heard of a school doing this. Anyone else get this email as well?