Feinberg vs. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drek2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was lucky enough to be accepted to both schools and am trying to decide between the two. What are your thoughts? I like both cities and what matters most to me is definitely the potential to match into a competitive specialty (think derm, surgery). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are similar in terms of "prestige" if you're concerned with that. Sinai will likely place more people in the NYC area while Northwestern will likely place more people in Chicago/rest of the Midwest. You will not be held back from matching into a competitive specialty at either school. Pick based on location, cost, and fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Feinberg is a better choice, they will be a top 10 school in the near distant future not long after they finish constructing their brand new research facility. They will draw in more top scientists and hundreds of millions more in research funding. look ahead.

I interviewed at both and was admitted to both. I chose another school, but it wouldnt even be a close call for me, I would pick Feinberg. The facilities at Sinai are older and more cramped onto a floor or two vs a larger, nicer facilities at Feinberg. BTW Feinberg hospitals are gorgeous. The downside to Feinberg is the PBR based curriculum. This is all my opinion and others will strongly disagree.

You can match into competitive specialties from either place (and from just about any school as other factors will be much more important), so I agree with @WedgeDawg that other factors (fit, location, and which part of the country you might like to end up in) matter more.

Well the real question here (assuming cost is similar) is do you want to live in New York or do you want to live in Chicago.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

I'm not sure what Feinberg does for housing, but Sinai has crazy cheap apartments in the Upper East Side, which is pretty awesome.

I'm not sure what Feinberg does for housing, but Sinai has crazy cheap apartments in the Upper East Side, which is pretty awesome.
You can find rent in Chicago that is equal to Sinai's housing. And if you wanted to pay over $1K for rent, you'll find some pretty swanky places in Chicago, whereas in NY it'll get you a bunk in a closet.

I say Northwestern all the way. I love Chicago. Having lived in both Chicago and NYC, I also feel like NY hospitals have to compete a little more for their patients while Chicago is spread out more (though this probably won't effect your education). And Northwestern will not keep you confined to the Midwest if you do end up wanting to leave.

I think it just boils down to personal preference

Reactions: 1 user
You can find rent in Chicago that is equal to Sinai's housing. And if you wanted to pay over $1K for rent, you'll find some pretty swanky places in Chicago, whereas in NY it'll get you a bunk in a closet.

True, though it's pretty cool to be able to live in one of the nicest parts of NYC in a fairly spacious apartment with your own bedroom for only 600/month. That in itself is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity haha.

Totally personal preference. I was also accepted to both and am going to Sinai, but that's because I like NY a lot more than Chicago, I think Sinai's curriculum will allow more flexibility and time for things besides school, and I sense that the faculty are unbelievably supportive of the students. Also prefer the flexible testing to exams that you aren't allowed to review afterwards. The Sinai facilities aren't the nicest (though the views are!), but I've learned from past experiences that it's not the quality of the walls that matter, it's what goes on inside them.