Fellas: please don't wear your scrubs to the gym

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone? I've been trying to ween myself away from SDN so I can do some more productive things like go to the gym/beach. Anyway, I was at the gym the other day and guess what I see? Some fool (presumably a UCSD med student since I was at the UCSD gym) working out in his scrubs!

First, a description of the guy: He was asian, short (maybe 5'8"), skinny, and wearing thick-ass glasses. My point being, he looked like the stereotypical nerdy type.

I've concluded his only reason for wearing scrubs to the gym was to try to impress some chicks. He might as well have worn a sign that said, "I'm a med student! Girls, show me some love." The way he was looking though, I doubt he would have gotten much love had he been a millionaire, let a lone a med student.

So the take home message is this: fellas, don't wear your scrubs to the gym hoping to impress girls. No one's impressed and everyone probably thinks you're an idiot. There's no legitimate excuse for wearing them since it takes less than a minute to change into gym shorts like the rest of the world.

Not so coincidentally, I've seen several guys wearing scrubs at the gym now in the past few years but I've yet to see a girl wearing scrubs to the gym. It's probably cause they realize being IDed as a med student doesn't really help their chances with the guys. Anyone feel me on this one?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're trying to pick up girls, it's probably best to stop spending so much time lookin at the dudes :thumbup: :laugh:

Alexander99 said:
What's up everyone? I've been trying to ween myself away from SDN so I can do some more productive things like go to the gym/beach. Anyway, I was at the gym the other day and guess what I see? Some fool (presumably a UCSD med student since I was at the UCSD gym) working out in his scrubs!

First, a description of the guy: He was asian, short (maybe 5'8"), skinny, and wearing thick-ass glasses. My point being, he looked like the stereotypical nerdy type.

I've concluded his only reason for wearing scrubs to the gym was to try to impress some chicks. He might as well have worn a sign that said, "I'm a med student! Girls, show me some love." The way he was looking though, I doubt he would have gotten much love had he been a millionaire, let a lone a med student.

So the take home message is this: fellas, don't wear your scrubs to the gym hoping to impress girls. No one's impressed and everyone probably thinks you're an idiot. There's no legitimate excuse for wearing them since it takes less than a minute to change into gym shorts like the rest of the world.

Not so coincidentally, I've seen several guys wearing scrubs at the gym now in the past few years but I've yet to see a girl wearing scrubs to the gym. It's probably cause they realize being IDed as a med student doesn't really help their chances with the guys. Anyone feel me on this one?

Think that's bad? After my UTMB interview I saw one of the 3rd years we met during the interview at the Galleria in Houston (around 1 hour drive away from UTMB). He was with his med student girlfriend in his scrubs looking around the Nieman Marcus. What a doof--he was also an Asian guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lochmoor said:
Think that's bad? After my UTMB interview I saw one of the 3rd years we met during the interview at the Galleria in Houston (around 1 hour drive away from UTMB). He was with his med student girlfriend in his scrubs looking around the Nieman Marcus. What a doof--he was also an Asian guy.

Yup. It's pretty lame. I think it's sad if you have to resort to that to feel cool about yourself. The stupid thing about it is, I seriously doubt if anyone sees him and says, "Wow! A real-life medical student. I bet he must get laid all the time." Most people, myself included, probably think "What a tool."

As one of the girls who decidedly does *not* wear scrubs to the gym, I can tell you it's because it looks silly. Also, as someone who wears scrubs all day, every day... the second I put the things on I go into work mode. And then, on a practical level (1) scrubs, when sweaty, bind the legs; and, (2) the armpits get dark when sweat covered.

And, a woman's perspective on guys at the gym in scrubs: even if you are prince charming, you ain't gonna look good in scrubs. No one looks good in scrubs. They're a uniform, completely unflattering. When I see someone working out in scrubs, I usually assume it's because they're too lazy to do their own laundry. Let me repeat -- NO ONE LOOKS GOOD IN SCRUBS. Also, near a hospital, people are not necessarily going to assume scrubs == med student or physician. Scrubs could just as well indicate nurse, respiratory therapist, nurse's aid, pharmacy, central processing, etc.

Thus endeth the rant.

Best,
Anka

But Jlee told me that girls loved it when he worked out in his scrubs?

I agree that intentionally wearing your scrubs to gym as a fashion statement is stupid. But what about practicality? Sometimes after work, it's convenient to go straight to the gym, and scrubs as good to lift in as any other pair of clothes. So why change first?

Peterock said:
cause once they take it off they are glad to see whats underneathe ;).

But how else can you offer hot chicks at the gym a free mammogram in the ladies room without getting arrested? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've stated this on this forum before (so sorry if it seems familiar) but a group of kids (freshmen) at my school designated Thursday's "scrub day" where 5 or 6 of them would come to class wearing scrubs. They don't do it anymore so I guess they figured out they looked like *****s... :thumbdown:

Scrubs are pretty comfortable to sleep and lounge around in. Going to public places in them? That's a definite cry for attention.

haha advice needed -- i own a pair of burnt orange scrub pants with the longhorn (ut-austin) emblem embroidered on it. i wear it out to class in the morning because they're reallllly comfortable and i'm in a rush. but i do it because they're not as hospital-esque as the gray or blue ones.

http://www.universitycoop.com/webitemimages/108/840015.jpg

what do you guys think of this? i should probably stop wearing them out, huh? haha. crap.

i played a game of hoops in my white coat once. I did one of those Kobe Bryant spectacular moves under the basket. But the highlight of the day was when I dunked on a 7-footer's head. The girls went crazy!!! I think its safe to attribute my level of play to the white coat and the confidence it instilled in me. Kinda like the Air Jordan's a while back..hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that several places, such as our local YMCA, consider this an OSHA violation and forbid people from working out in scrubs. :eek:

SOLUTION:

Go to the gym naked like me. I get a GREAT workout running away from the security guards and staff.

If you're ever in NYC and you see a naked guy running circles around the staff and weight machines and Looney Tunes music is playing in the background, you'll have met a fellow SDNer.

You think that the gym thing is bad? I went to an asian cultural fest one day and there was this guy wearing the scrubs with a steth and a white coat. Everyone else was in suits and what not, and he looked like he was at work in the hospital. Had the id tag to go with it. He was obviously using that to pick up chicks.

What about this: wearing scrub pants and a tank top. Is that ok?

What an idiot to be there in scrub with a telltale spectacles. But wait a blink!Genuine nerds or idiots are harmless, right? So there is no need to waste any thought on them, especially in a gym. Better save the psych up for any free for all medical forum. Me think.

Definitely, the man in scrub could be of any profession. It doesn't matter much. How could we be sure that he looks for girls though? He might be an underrated janitor who is looking for anyone but girls or "men not in scrub." He knows that he has to turn girls and "men not in scrub" off first.

Anyway, forget all I have just said. Tell me what should I do with these scrubs. I have a lot of them. I think that I am going to trade them for a pair of designer eyeglasses. The one that really draw.....you know who.....men in scrub. Talking about eyeglasses. Anyone want a free pair? They do have thich frame though......

Did anyone mention free mammary glands inspection? Inquiring mind would like to know who would be doing it? The one who knows how to manipulate or the one who knows not? Is he/she under-represented? What u-grad school does he/she go to? Should she have anything beyond her numbers? (Not phone numbers, you some knind of perverts? Is he/she going to start a school vs school thread soon? ...............

Oh how I love this forum! :D

basupran said:
What about this: wearing scrub pants and a tank top. Is that ok?

I too would like to know the answer to this... I'm one of those people that just cannot bring myself to wear shorts---ever!!! can't I just throw on a pear of scrub pants and a tank top, sweat pants are so hot and heavy sometimes, and stretch pants leave too little to the imagination :laugh:

I always thought it was against the rules to wear scrubs or a white coat unless you were on your way to work/school, at work/school, or coming home from work/school.

I swear that all scrubs were paid for...... by ............. So what!!!! :smuggrin:
I agree that scrubs are convenient and most important of them all, it's the stuff that is inside them. Just like the numbers, something there beyond can count more. I....I mean....that good Asian guy is just trying to transform into a Clark Kent. Give mmmm....him a break, would we please? :rolleyes:

Sometime some nerd think it was the size........ I mean muscles.... that count the most. It is not true, right?

:D :D :D :D :clap:

calcrew14 said:
I swear that all scrubs were paid for...... by ............. So what!!!! :smuggrin:
I agree that scrubs are convenient and most important of them all, it's the stuff which is inside them. Just like the numbers, something there beyond can count more. I....I mean....that good asian guy is just trying to transform into a CLark Kent. Give mmmm....him a break, would we please? :rolleyes:

Sometime some nerd think it was the size........ I mean muscles.... that count the most. It is not true, right?

:D :D :D :D :clap:

wtfwtfwtf?
that was the most illogical, bloated, grammatically incorrect post i've read in quite a while. can anybody tell me what the hell that guy was trying to say?

I agree it's pretty lame to wear scrubs to the gym for two reasons.
#1 if you just came from the hospital you might have picked up something nasty like Vancomycin resistant staph aureus. Now you're bringing that out to the community.
#2 it's really lame to try to impress girls in this way.

But you can not be certain that this person did this to try to pick up on chicks. He may just have no fashion sense, or is lazy, or it's laundry day, or he's a really poor medical student that can't afford proper gym shorts.

I think that because asian doctors and medical students are so abundant it doesn't really impress the chicks so much.

lesstalkmorock said:
wtfwtfwtf?
that was the most illogical, bloated, grammatically incorrect post i've read in quite a while. can anybody tell me what the hell that guy was trying to say?

I was trying to advise people to ignore any possible irrelevance, my way. I have seen a lot of people wearing scrubs everywhere. Why not on a campus? Is it only because it is out of fashion there? Does anyone really know the truth behind this. The guy is just different. People have all kinds of reason doing things.

Thanks for the tuition. It's always helpful to me. Still, something tells me that you understand at least one of the key sentence though.

congrats your english, i hope mine will catch up with yours someday. peach :)

Yeah, it bugs me a bit when people wear scrubs to the gym. However, let's focus on the positive. This person is working out in the land of obesity. Brownie points!!! :thumbup: Go get 'em asian man.

Alexander99 said:

?

Look dude, once you enter med school in the fall, you best recognize. As a guy who works out, I can promise you that THE GYM is the place to find hot chicks. Why? Look around the cardio room if you don't believe me. And what do hot chicks want? Huge, ripped, rich doctors. There is no two ways around it, the gym is THE place to show off your six pack, 18" guns and wonderful taste in career....

"How do I do this, John?" I can hear you ask. Simple, wear scrubs.

"But won't I look like a t00L who is trying to show off?" Yes, you will, but if you want that busty blond, you gotta do something radical ... and scrubs are the way...

So, why just wear any scrubs, I am talkin about, if you have been slavin in the gym to drop your bodyfat to 6% and yet still squat the 5-spot, you better get recognize for those blood sweat and tears, the answer, my friend are "MUSCLEHEDZ" scrubs, let me explain:

1) RIP the sleeves off your scrubs and go wife-beater style. In fact, cut a huge V down the neck so the women can see your huge pecs as you knock out another set of 10 at 315 lbs on the flat bench.

2) Cut some massive arm holes where you ripped off the sleeves. This allows the ladies to see your massive back width as you casually stroll to get some "water" every two minutes while walking in front of the cardio room, randomly stopping to chat it up with the hotties who obviously want your body.

3) Cut the legs off your pants, just above the knees. Girls want to see that you aren't some chicken legged freak, they want to see vascularity and separation in those quads of yours. This is especially helpful in your ass-to-the-floor 12 plate squats you are going to be doing with the power rack moved to ... thats right inside the cardio room. Why? Because there is nothing more sexy than a dude who moans and groans and then loses control of his bodily functions while pushing huge piles of plates.

4) Be sure to stop girls who are about to get on the treadmill, especially the realllllllly hot ones, and ask"Which way is the water fountain?" Make sure you say "This way??? and point flex and hold with your massive arms in full view. Before letting her respond say ... "Is it THIS way?". Lockout and do a double bicep pose while pointing your fingers towards a location other than the water fountain. Before she stammers how much she loves you, say "Is it THAT way?" and point behind your back, flexing your massive tricep before she faints. As she faints, catch her and put her in your gym bag, she is a keeper!

Try these other lines:

"Are you in the NRA?" -(wait)- "CAUSE You GOTTA LOVE THESE GUNS" (double bicep flex)
"Excuse me, do you have a needle" -(wait) "CAUSE IM RIPPED" (most muscular pose works best when responding to your rhetorical question)
"Do you have a bandaid????" (say it in exasperation) - wait - "CAUSE IM CUT!" (flex, pose and hold)...

Any variations on these will sure to bag the woman of your dreams, and undoubtedly, WOMEN :thumbup:

Good luck!

The hardest time of someone's life might be when he/she can not utilize or show off the best thing that he/she has got. How would this person feel when he/she sees people wearing football jersey #32, basketball jersey #23 and soccer jersey #10 anywhere in this world? Wait a second! How would adcoms feel about this, wearing scrubs in a gym? I believe that the question has already been answered here.

Have a nice memorial week end every one.

Maybe they just finished a day at the hospital and didn't want to change clothes around other people in the locker room. Really, scrubs are supposedly pretty comfy so it wouldn't hurt to go to the gym in them. I mean, it;s not that bad. I've been to undergrad lectures where I saw a classmate wear scrubs.

I would never wear scrubs outside the medical center unless it was an unusual circumstance. If this guy was trying to draw attention to himself that would be lame. But I have been to gyms either on a medical center premises or very close by where people showed up in scrubs and it really wasn't a big deal since everybody pretty much was from the medical center who worked out there.

What is worse is being in a restaurant that is at least 20 minutes from the closest medical school with 2 guys both dressed in scrubs with their pagers on talking loudly about where they are applying for residency :rolleyes: They would look around every 5 minutes to see who was listening to them. Talk about embarrassing!

hamhamfan said:
Maybe they just finished a day at the hospital and didn't want to change clothes around other people in the locker room. Really, scrubs are supposedly pretty comfy so it wouldn't hurt to go to the gym in them. I mean, it;s not that bad. I've been to undergrad lectures where I saw a classmate wear scrubs.

Tha is one of several possibilities. It's too bad now that my scrubs are not as convenient as it should. I do not mind the drawing power or the lack of it. But how can I be sure that no one would jump on me somewhere?

BigBopper said:
What is worse is being in a restaurant that is at least 20 minutes from the closest medical school with 2 guys both dressed in scrubs with their pagers on talking loudly about where they are applying for residency :rolleyes: They would look around every 5 minutes to see who was listening to them. Talk about embarrassing!

Your opinion might change after you are fed up with too many dress changings. You want to cut it down. Besides, scrubs can be considered a uniformed, can't they? Doctors and MS have a right to be proud of them.

I admit the possible bad habit though. You know, I used to turn my car stereo all the way up and look around constantly to see who was listening. Wait a second! I am still doing it now, don't I?

JohnHolmes said:
Look dude, once you enter med school in the fall, you best recognize. As a guy who works out, I can promise you that THE GYM is the place to find hot chicks. Why? Look around the cardio room if you don't believe me.

I work out a lot too. Obviously you haven't been to UCSD's gym (or UCSD in general.) I didn't coin the term "UCSD goggles" for nothing dude. There are hardly any hot chicks at the gyms I go to.

The rest of your post was highly amusing though. Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

Alexander99 said:
I work out a lot too. Obviously you haven't been to UCSD's gym (or UCSD in general.) I didn't coin the term "UCSD goggles" for nothing dude. There are hardly any hot chicks at the gyms I go to.

My cousin's "aunt"(Asian family thing) goes to UCSD, and I think she is reasonably attractive.... so there :p

hamhamfan said:
My cousin's "aunt"(Asian family thing) goes to UCSD, and I think she is reasonably attractive.... so there :p

Your cousin's aunt? How old is she? Is she a MILF or something? :laugh:

Hmm. what about wearing thick glasses and a tag on your shirt that says "clinical marriage counselor"? :rolleyes:

Scrubs at the Gym tell women several things:

- This man is carting a load of nasty germs, gross dried bodily fluids and 12-24 hours of sweat in and doesn't give a darn who he infects with what. And he probably has skid marks in his underwear.

- This man has a fragile ego that needs way too much care.

- This man has an overblown ego that makes him behave like an idiot.

- This man is a student and has no money OR no taste OR no time.

- Torn or cut scrubs......see above.

- Great body on a med student translates into either doesn't study worth a darn and will fail or Orthopod with the tremendous ego (and generally bad in bed)

None of the above are good.

Change clothes and leave the germs at the hospital.

caroladybelle said:
- Great body on a med student translates into either doesn't study worth a darn and will fail or Orthopod with the tremendous ego (and generally bad in bed)

To be fair to my fellow gym-goers out there, this isn't true. There is this myth that pervades social circles that to put on sizeable mass, you have to be a muscle-head idiot who spends 5 hours a day at the gym and trains only chest and biceps, twice a day, of course.

Mesomorphs really need no more than 4-5, one hour sessions a week...thats it.

LMAO!! That's hilarious John Holmes because I see at least one guy (or more) that fits your description perfectly practically everytime I go to the gym. I say, if your "spotter" starts sweating from helping you lift, you may not be getting the workout you think you're getting.

Other things that annoy me to no end:

1. Guys that think they own the gym and use 3 or more sets of dumbells at the same time. You realize you need one of them and having noticed he hasn't touched the weight you need in minutes, you ask if he's using them and he says "yes."

2. Guys that walk around like they're buffed (pretend they can't put their arms down) when they probably weigh a buck-twenty. Yeah buddy. As long as you walk around like you're buffed, people will believe you're not actually skinny as hell.

3. People that slam their weights, especially on the machines (a cry for attention). First of all, you're using a weight that's way to heavy for you. Second of all, no one gives a s*** that you're lifting a lot of weights on a machine with terrible form.

4. People that can't f***ing read the little numbers on the weight racks that correspond to the weight that's supposed to be there. All you've gotta do is match the numbers on the weights to the numbers on the rack. How hard is that?

5. People that don't actually work out but go to the gym to talk to their buddies or embarass themselves by unsuccessfully hitting on chicks that aren't even that hot. They invariably have to sit at machines and benches, keeping others from actually working out, to pretend like they're working out.

6. People that use a bench used for a benchpress to do random exercises like skull-crushers when there are free regular benches that they're supposed to be using.

7. Guys that leave a gallon of sweat on a bench or machine and feel no need to wipe it down. Do those *****s really think I'm going to use my towel to clean off the now disease-infested gym equipment? No way. I just go on to something else and hope someone else cleans it off for me.

The gym can be a frustrating place to be at times. It blows my mind just how stupid so many people are.

I agree completely that scrubs are comfortable, and that it's annoying to change yet again after you've changed five times already that day (don't ask). But change that one last time, and be human. And, to reiterate, scrubs show sweat in nasty ways. I'm sure everyone has been sweaty in them, even if not in the gym. Guys especially tend to get the "soaked through" look under the arms. And they bind your legs.

I think the scrub pants with a t-shirt option is okay at about 7 a.m., when you're running out to grab coffee and then going back home (i.e., you're going somewhere you'd go in your jammies anyway). But the scrubs are a uniform, and when you're wearing it as a uniform, you're gonna look like a tool unless you're where the uniform is expected.

Anka

Bite me, I wear my scrubs to the gym all the time. they're comfortable, light, convenient, and I don't care if they get all sweaty or dirty. For those of you who are asking for approval on this thread to wear them or a combination of them and street cloths, I really think its sad. Just do what you want, screw what others think. Have some confidence in yourself for Godsake!
TD

wearing scrubs for the sole reason of attracting chicks is ******ed but you know what's even worse? assuming someone wore scrubs to the gym for that specific purpose.

why the hell does it even bother you that someone has such behavior? are you the fashion police all of a sudden? why didn't you arrest the guy or write a ticket in violating fashion code? who really gives a ****? :laugh:

That was one of the funniest things I have read JohnHolmes...
Please write more about the following:
Write about the leotard (or whatever that tight uniform is) that guy is wearing
The incline bench presser who lifts his ass so high up into the air that he is flat benching
The guy who uses his entire back to curl

Alexander99 said:

;) ;) np, dude. LOL. I think the shizzle that goes on at some of these gyms is insane.

For example, look for the Natural Bridge in skinny guys benching weight that is obviously far too much for them.

This happens usually when someone's 1 RM gets close to 200, and they start thinking, well, damn, I might as well be placing 2, 45-lb plates on both sides of the bar, so they can look impressive...this is how this motif works...

This person is usually 5 10 - 6 0 and 145 lbs soaking wet. They will be wearing UNDER-ARMOUR body sculpting clothing, and of course, and mp3 player so they can get psyched up for the lift, which of course, they can never complete.

This lifter never comes alone, usually with 3 buddies to stroke his fragile ego and egg him on to do more reps than he can even do. Frequently, his buddies will carry the first through eighth rep of the set, so this little bugger can "stimulate every last muscle fiber."

OK, this is the guy you see who lifts chest EVERY MONDAY around 5-6 pm. Notice, mondays are chest days for half the world? Why? Because God has decreed it such, and work builds up later in the week, so if you only have one day to workout and one bodypart you can work .... you better bet your sweet ass its gonna be chest and biceps day at the gym.

So, this guy starts pumping up some tunes on his mp3 player. I guarantee you he is listening to either Pantera or Metallica...no two bits about it. This same guy is found in every gym across the US at the same time, a bit like Santa Claus on Xmas night if you know what I mean.

So he and his buddies are doing what they do best: monopolizing equipment and not letting people work in. They all have "only 2 more sets left" but since their break is 3 minutes between sets EACH, with 4 people working in, it's gonna be a long day. Oh yeah, they also brought over about 4 pairs of the mid-range weight dumbells you need for your curls, cept they won't put them back.

So they talk it up, and finally, the big moment comes, its time to lift...!

The guy with less mass than a heroin fiend takes to the bar and plays his music loud and starts jumpin up and down, getting PSYCHED for the lift. 225 lbs, wow! This guy is a beast! He looks like he can barely put up the bar only, unassisted.

So he gets on the bench and gets a grip that looks like he is ready for disaster. He keeps lifting his back off the bench and resquaring, and two of his buddies go to either end of the barbell, and one behind him, in order to give this guy a good 'spot.'

So, on the count of three, ALL of his spotters heave the tremendous weight in the air. His arms look like toothpicks from the "bridge challenge" back in high school--toothpicks from the exact moment you remember when your team's structure collapsed under the incredibly penny weight. "This ain't lookin good" you think to yourself.

Suddenly, as if God Himself spoke, you hear those dreaded words, "MY WEIGHT!" utters the rwandan bodybuilder. All the sudden fear slams against you as you think "AH F**K" .... you know somethin' is gonna give ...

...and it's prolly gonna be at the AC joints. DAMN. The spotters on both ends of the bar release the bar and the barbell comes hurdling down to earth at cosmic speed, what now?

THE BOUNCE!

This clone of Dr. Evil, Skinni-me, has managed to achieve the unthinking, catapult the momentum of a 225 lb barbell straight into his sternum and directly down onto the xiphoid process. You wait for a crack, as the bar sinks about 6" deep into his 5" thick chest ...

BOUNCE!

The bar comes catapulting off his chest, about 1/2" into the air as the lifter performs none other than the secret move passed down from the Greco-Romans long ago, THE NATURAL BRIDGE.

The "lifter" has gone from five points of contact (back of head on matt, shoulder blades, butt and two feet, to just two: back of head on matt and one foot on ground. His back and butt are at least a foot off the matt and arched so much you finally know what Hawking meant by an "infinite curvature" of space-time. Wow, physics 101, here we come.

Suddenly, the trio of spotters rushes back to the bar, but Mr. Bones grunts and cries in terror, knowing if they touch the bar, he didn't complete the lift.

Knowing how to respond, the spotters grab the bar and heave mightily upward, the four moan in unison ... what next from the bone thungs n harmony?

Then you hear the next command you dreaded from the lead spotter. This guy can't weigh more than 120, and he stands at about 6' 3". Oh God, not this, but yep, he SCREAMS IT "It's all you!

He continues to yelp at the emaciated figure below the weight whose face is turning purple with effort. As you stare deeply into his recessed eyes and gaunt face, you know this poor man doesn't just believe he is moving the weights. HE KNOWS IT!

The spotters on either side of the barbell now look like they are doing a power clean with a weight four times they can handle. As they pull upward, they yell on "Easy weight man, easy weight" until the bar is back in the upright position. NOW, its time to rack the weight....

....if you WERE A *****! The mor-FIEND underneath the barbell yells a command "Alright, goin to four...four EASY reps" ... you ponder "four easy reps? wtf?" Obviously, your understanding of weightlifting jargon isn't well-developed...four easy reps means "alright, I'll drop this weight on my chest again ...

...you guys go and call an ambulance ..." After the set is over, Captain Cadaverous jumps up from his set and slaps high fives to all his buddies as they marvel at his achievement...

It only took a squad, only four men of mediocrity, to hoist a 225 lb barbell up four times. What a true champion of the gym!

I saw an attending (or some old fart who looked like an attending) walk into a Dunkin donuts once and order donuts for the entire hospital, dressed in guess what?...his full length white coat, shirt and tie. The hospital was nowhere near the Dunkin donuts and he drove there with the coat on! Talk about making a statement, "hey look at me everyone, I;m a doctor!"

basupran said:
That was one of the funniest things I have read JohnHolmes...
Please write more about the following:
Write about the leotard (or whatever that tight uniform is) that guy is wearing
The incline bench presser who lifts his ass so high up into the air that he is flat benching
The guy who uses his entire back to curl

Haha, I'll get my creative juices floin, I see that ***** who does a incline/DECLINE press bc his butt is higher off the ground than his shoulders on the incline bench. WHAT A *****!

BigRedPingpong said:
I saw an attending (or some old fart who looked like an attending) walk into a Dunkin donuts once and order donuts for the entire hospital, dressed in guess what?...his full length white coat, shirt and tie. The hospital was nowhere near the Dunkin donuts and he drove there with the coat on! Talk about making a statement, "hey look at me everyone, I;m a doctor!"

I guess in a sense, the doctor you talk about is no different than the guy that's well-built wearing a muscle shirt. With both the attending physician and the buff guy, they're showing off what they believe will attract attention (from chicks no doubt.)

Anyway, I think the appropriate response if I worked at that Dunkin Donuts would be, "Is it Halloween already? I love your costume man." :laugh:

JohnHolmes said:
Haha, I'll get my creative juices floin, I see that ***** who does a incline/DECLINE press bc his butt is higher off the ground than his shoulders on the incline bench. WHAT A *****!

How is that possible? Isn't the thing so heavy that it's hard to do that? Admittedly, I cheat a bit when getting that thing off and then back on. However, it seems so hard to arch up the body throughout all the reps.

Alexander99 said:
I guess in a sense, the doctor you talk about is no different than the guy that's well-built wearing a muscle shirt. With both the attending physician and the buff guy, they're showing off what they believe will attract attention (from chicks no doubt.)

Anyway, I think the appropriate response if I worked at that Dunkin Donuts would be, "Is it Halloween already? I love your costume man." :laugh:

Actually I would say, "Why are you ordering such unhealthy food for your department?" :smuggrin:

hamhamfan said:
How is that possible? Isn't the thing so heavy that it's hard to do that? Admittedly, I cheat a bit when getting that thing off and then back on. However, it seems so hard to arch up the body throughout all the reps.

Where I go to school, there is a incline press that sits basically on the ground. The seat is adjustable, and rather being adjustable from the floor (where on this model of incline presses, there is a bar for your legs to place them on when you start), its adjustable from the back of the seat downward. Your butt can literally be 2" off the ground when you start the press CORRECTLY. Needless to say, if you plant your feet close enough to your rear and push up, you gain a mechanical advantage shifting the majority of the stress onto the middle and lower sections of your pecs rather than on the anterior delts and upper pecs as the incline is designed to do. I couldn't imagine holding this position for the entire movement, and most who cheat don't. They just use it on the concentric phase, and when they are losering (ie CRASHING) the weight down, they sit back down....great way to invite injury.

Sheesh folks, y'all are being just a little judgemental.. I mean wearing a pair of nasty scrubs to the gym with blood and other bodily fluids still on them is kinda gross and unsanitary. Other than for that health reason, I see no other reason why its bad to wear a pair of scrubs to the gym.

And as for the white coat thing, I think you're placing far too much weight on this clothing item. Far more than the person wearing it! I know that if my mom doesn't make sure my dad's wearing it when he leaves in the morning, it won't get put on. Once he has it on, he'll go all over town not realizing he has it on. Its a complete non-issue for him...he doesn't think its important enough to go through the hassle of even remembering he has it on! After you've been a doctor for over 20 years, the appeal of wearing a white coat is lost and its like wearing a pair of shoes.

Johnholmes, you are the funniest guy on SDN bar none. But I cringed when I read your last couple of posts because I occasionally throw up some weights and, you guessed it, I do chest and biceps.

Since you are obviously an expert, what can I do in twenty minutes a day in the gym assuming I also run three or four miles a day to build up and maintain strength. I'm not delusional enough to think I will look like Arnold but is this enough time if I don't wait five minutes between sets while I "recover?"

Please, be gentle.