Fellow pre-meds, help diagnose a wrist problem I am having!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, i was in an accident roughly 10 weeks ago, in which my wrist were hurt. The doc didnt find any breaks, but didn't say anything about them. I have practically no range of movement with my right wrist in the vertical directions, especially trying to my wrist upwards. It hurts like hell along the thumb side of my wrist!!1 Also if i make a sudden movement it hurts the same area. I have no numbness or anything and I am able to type just fine, so my fingers aren't involved. So what do you think could be the problem? Its been like this for a long time, and even with a splint I haven't noticed it get better!!!
argh!

Members don't see this ad.

My diagnosis is for you to Stop killing kittens.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Too much masterbation!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, use the other hand! with practice, concentration, and several hours, it IS possible!

Stop being a girly-girl and suck it up!!!
(j/k) :D
I do not think any of us are ready to give you a
diagnosis, esp. if you can't see it or feel for any broken bones.
XOXOXOXO

wow,you guys are a big help!!!
thanks a bunch!

Well I'm not a doctor yet.

But I would think that it could be muscle damage or ligament damage to your forearm. Describe the pain, is it sharp, dull. You need to give us more details. Have you tried sticking your hand in ice and seeing if that helps. Or you could try heat. However it seems to me that unless its a serious injury. by the way how the hell did the injury occur. It should get better.

choking the chicken too hard man, let it breathe!

it sounds to me like you may have traumatic de quervain's tenosynovitis. to help make the distinction do what is known as a Finklestein's test. to perform this test put your thumb in your palm and make a fist around it. with your other hand passively move the injurred hand into ulnar deviation (towards the lateral aspect of your arm). if you experience a great deal of pain (compare to other hand) this is a positive test and signifies inflammation of the abductor pollicis longus and extensor pollicis brevis tendons. if you have any further questions feel free to PM or email me.

I had a similar situation a while back, where they diagnosed no break, but it turned out to be a hairline fracture in my scaphoid. If that is the case, its is a very bad situation. It took like 4 surgeries to fix.

The good news is its a rare thing to happen, and I'm not a doctor.

One time in junior high I got my wrist kicked in playing soccer (i was goalie). To this day I'll get sharp pains every once in a while to that wrist. I just suck it up and go on with life.

I'd have to second the concern about the scaphoid bone fracture. Many docs won't "see" the fracture because it often will not show up on the x-ray until a week or so after injury. (Did you get a second film done 10 days post injury?) It usually is caused by falling onto an outstreched wrist.

Try this:

With your fingers outstretched on a flat surface, try to extend your thumb backwards. You should see an area near your wrist that is called the anatomical snuffbox, a triangular area between two tendons. Press down on that area. Is there sharp pain? (You're pressing right onto the scaphoid bone there).

I'd get your doc to get you a followup appointment with an orthopedic surgeon if this is concerning you. Scaphoid fractures, if not properly fixed, can eventually lead to severe arthritis and joint immobilization.

ahhh yes how could i forget the elusive scaphoid. certainly could be a small fracture there and the poor blood supply to the bone will take a long time to heal. there are 3 main types to be concerned with; distal pole, waist, and proximal pole. the most blood supply occurs at the distal pole so if you have a fracture anywhere you would want it to be at the distal pole (most likely to heal). it is sometimes necessary to have surgery as it is possible that if there is a fragment broken off it could lead to avascular necrosis. i hope this is not the case for you but you may want to bring it up to your doc.

if you could give a better mechanism of injury it might help a bit, but you should probably see your doc.