Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Fellow Predents

Discussion in 'Dental' started by UofM01, Nov 22, 2001.

1. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

HI,

I have been reading many posts in the last months. They have been very helpful. I need some help and some advice please.

I am a 2nd year applicant. I have a degree in Psychology from the University of Michigan. Besides for the basic requirements I have taken, Embryology(grad level), Chem based Biochem(grad level), Biochem Biology based, and Physiology. Currently Im enrolled in 2 graduate level courses Endocrine Physiology and Histology.

I have been working at a dental office for the last 5 years (no joke). I want this more than anything else.

My Help is needed in that I have a 3.1 overall GPA and a 2.78-2.8 sci gpa.

I recently retook the DAT in August and achieved scores of 18-Acedemic, 16-PAT and a 20-SCI.

Trust me I know I do not have the best GPA. I did not really focus too much my first years in my comm. college and I am paying the price.

Believe it or not I graduated with Distinction at the University of Michigan. But with the grades averaged with my comm. college it really brings it down on the application.

I applied in August and was so happy when I recieved an interview from NYU. It was in early Nov. and even the the doctor who interviewd me there told me that my personality does not reflect my grades.

Also, I just recieved notice that I will have an interview at Nova dental school sometime in January.

University of Michigan sent me a letter stating that they would like to see my fall semestar grades as soon as they are posted. I am working really hard to achieve good grades.

I just want to get into dental school. I really would like to go to U of M or Nova. Can anyone please tell me what they think of my situation? I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope that we all are blessed this year with the future that will make you happy!

Please Reply

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shawn_99

Shawn_99 Junior Member

Hello dear Friend:
    I hope you are doing fine and everything, well, I am exactly in the same situantion as you are, my science GPA and Overall GPA is not that good, how ever I did well in my DAT and I have gotten several interviews, I think it is the matter of which school you are applying to. I have talked to the student in your sitution with the DAT average of 17 and GPA of 2.90 and they got in to some school, so you have a better chance to get in somewhere since this is your second year applying for dental program. Usually people who are applying the second and the third years, they have a better chance to get in, this is what I have heard from friends and I don't know how true it is. Anyways, I have an interview in several schools and I am kinda nervous too about the whole process.
    I wish you the best
    GOOD LUCK
    shawn

4. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Shawn,

Good Luck with everything! Thanks so much for the reply. I do not think that It will help me out that much that I applied last year. :( I feel that if you dont have the numbers than you dont have the numbers :( But Im so confused at this point because I am actually getting interviewd and its a dream come true. :) :confused: I really hope that I get in.

5. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

What schools did you apply too?

6. Shawn_99

Shawn_99 Junior Member

I have applied to 13 schools, and I guess Western Universities are more difficult to get in than the eastern university.
    I have gotten 4 Interview all in the Eastern states.
    Temple, Tuft, NSU, Meharry

7. Dear UofM01,

Don't give up hope. I am sure that you have a good chance of getting into Nova. I know someone who got in with a 2.8 GPA. Since they accept around 300 students, you will have a good chance of getting in. I think Nova is a good school, except that they stick med, optometry, and dental students together for the basic sciences the first year. Good luck!

8. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Cassie,

Thanks so much for the reply and the nice and motivational comments. Where did you apply??

I hope that January is not a late date and I hope that I am really being considered as a serious candidate.

Good Luck

9. UofM01,

Well I am glad that it helped you. I was actually in that same boat as you. My first year, I did very horribly. Fortunately, I was able to bring my GPA to a pretty competitive level when I applied. But my point is that if you put your mind towards a goal that you really want, it is possible for you to achieve that goal. I applied to 12 schools(I think I overapplied because I didn't know what kind of applicant I was at the time of application)and got interviews at all the schools, except one so far. But so far I went to interviews at U of North Carolina, U of Pacific, U of Penn, and USC. I have an interviews coming up this week at U of Mich and UCSF. So if you want any tips on any of those interviews, feel free to ask.

Don't get discouraged during the whole process. Sounds like you're taking some tough upper division classes and if you do well, then I'm sure that schools will take that into consideration. Seriously, no one is absolutely perfect. I asked U of Penn what their perfect applicant was. And they told me that there isn't. They look for diverse group of individuals. Numbers do matter, but so does other areas in your life, such as community service, leadership roles, research, personality, and shadowing/working with dentists. :)

10. Ineedanassociate

Dear UM01 Did you apply to University of Detroit Mercy? I did undergrad at Michigan BS Pysch 1984. When I applied the second time I had worked at the VA AA dental clinic as a volunteer. Now personel have changed but if you get an interview your 5 years working at a dental office should hold you in good stead. UofM dental addmission used to be a kind of stange thing ,while at Uof D a learned of Michigan residents who did undergrad at other schools with GPA the same or lower than mine? Are you a Michigan resident?

11. dragonfly9

dragonfly9 Frickin' Chicken

Best of luck UofM01. I completely understand your situation. My GPA is certainly not stellar, having graduated from a school with a chem department that thinks B's and C's are great grades and we should be happy with them because we're a bunch of bright kids and being average or slightly above is supposed to be so wonderful. Great philosophy, but it doesn't help in the days of grade inflation. . .

I just wanted to tell all the pre-dents here how wonderfully helpful and supportive y'all are. It makes me happy and proud that I will share a profession with such a great bunch. Awwww. . . :D :D

12. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Thanks guys and gals for the replys...

INEEDANASSOCIATE, I did apply to U of D mercy and yes I am a Michigan resident. I have kept close contact with the school but I still feel that I may not have a chance. You seen my grades what do you think??

The dentist that I work for graduated from there also. Great rep. and I hope it all works out in the end. Please reply when possible. Take care all! :)

13. Ineedanassociate

My grades weren't that much better! Who do you work for? Don't loose faith!

14. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

INEEDANASSOCIATE,

I work for an associate practice. Dr. Rackecky is the head doctor over there. He is an older dentist. I have worked with several others also. Do you still have any ties at U of D mercy??

15. Ineedanassociate

UofM01 The only person on staff that I have kept up with is Dr. Dianne Holesure. We graduated together. How are your fall grades looking?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

INEEDANASSOCIATE,

My Fall grades for Histology and Endocrine Physiology are going good. I recieve my grades on Dec. 18th. They are both grad level also.

18. Ineedanassociate

Looks good keep your chin up! Keep the postings coming! Good Luck on finals.

19. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Hi!,

I know it has been a while since I last updated this thread but my intentions were to get my grades first and advice 2nd.

How is everyone? I hope all of you are doing well in the predental and Dental world. :rolleyes:

I finished my semestar in mid December. The graduate classes that I was enrolled in are finally finshed.

Endocrine Physiology (B+) and
    Histology(B)

Besides for those classes I maintained my full time status at the dental office and I also have been involved in a research project that I will be hopefully being published in.

I have my interview coming up at NOVA very soon and I can hardly wait!! :D

I will keep you all informed on what happens there and with the other schools. I would appreciate some advice or input when you are free. Thanks Everyone and Good Luck! :)