Fellow "Rejects": What are you doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhishGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know everyone is excited about getting their acceptances, but I feel like all I have been reading is about how tough it is to deal with acceptances...what about rejections?! Indeed, I am wondering how my fellow people who were shut-out this year are coping...what have you been doing with yourself? Are you upset, or have you already moved on? Most importantly, what are you doing now or in the immediate future to start preparing for next year's applications?

I say that we "rejects" all need to support each other and starting psyching ourselves up for next year!!!*

PS. I forgot the "you" in the title. :)

* pun intended. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Studying again to re-take the GRE before they change the format in 2011 since I am used to the current version from my previous test.

Specifically, I will try to memorize the entire Barron's word list, something like 3,000 words, and review more math. Then I will get some practice tests from 800score.com since I ran out of practice tests from my last round of studying.

Simultaneously, I will look for full-time RA positions, find more programs to apply to, work on my SOP, this time getting line-by-line feedback on it from my letter writers (I didn't want to bug them last time, but now I see what a bad mistake that was).

I am trying to be optimistic about universal rejections (though one program did pity me and let me in to their MA program...unfunded) and get right back to being productive.

People always tell you to not take the rejections personally, or that there are many more applicants than spots, etc. ad nauseam.

But no matter what one says, it truly sucks when you have spent years of your life in preparation for a goal that was almost palpable, but now seems so far out of reach.

What I am trying to say is, I feel your pain! But, I think the best thing we can do, if we are still dedicated and willing, is get the ball rolling and improve our apps for the next time we apply!

Good luck to all of us rejects!

What I am trying to say is, I feel your pain! But, I think the best thing we can do, if we are still dedicated and willing, is get the ball rolling and improve our apps for the next time we apply!

Good luck to all of us rejects!

Indeed, it sucks. But, the way I look at it, there are just a few more people to prove wrong now. :)

I am with you on the SOP thing...that's what I'm most concerned with at this point, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this time to work in the field, get some experience, and save a little money. Believe me, a year off from school is not a bad thing at all. I wish I took a year off before I jumped into my program to be honest.

sulking in my room.

na... i'm really working hard to get as much experience and work (courses, need the marks) done to reapply again in the fall.

Take this time to work in the field, get some experience, and save a little money. Believe me, a year off from school is not a bad thing at all. I wish I took a year off before I jumped into my program to be honest.

Agreed. I took two years off--at different points--while in undergrad, and another year off between undergrad and grad school (decided for me, in part, by my rejection from the five schools to which I'd initially applied that first time).

The year I spent working full-time, even though it had nothing to do with psychology, definitely helped out. It gave me some time away from academia for a bit, helped me rediscover my scholarly motivation, and allowed me to pay down my debt while also saving up a little money for the relocation and other first semester expenses.

Trying to think of how to strengthen my application for next year, and focusing on the positives. I felt like my applications was kind of rushed and I didn't research programs the way I would have liked to do/ should have. So trying to look at it as a second chance (this one was just a practice round, right?) And then there's always the golden thought that all of us future psych people have... one day I can use this crappy feeling as a reference in therapy.

I was in your boat a year ago... receiving a whole bunch of rejections while others were having trouble deciding where to go is quite frustrating. It's a tough and emotional process- no doubt. Though I think you'll have an easier shot the second time around. First, you'll know what to expect. I was a mess during the application process and was pretty much addicted to this forum. I ended up going to an ivy league school for a master's program in psychopathology because I didn't want to move across the country for a doctoral program that I felt was less than adequate. I'm really enjoying it here, and it has also given me an opportunity to increase my clinical and research experiece. It's costing me about 40k in tuition to do this for two years, but I think my application will look a little more favorably when I apply for 2011. Now if only I could get back into GRE mode...

Hi,
I've officially been rejected from all my schools. At first I was completely devastated but now I'm using the time to revamp my resume. I'm trying to find research experience ( have very little), get my GRE scores up and take the psych gres, and write a better sop. I'm also going to apply to a wider geographic area bc I think that was my biggest mistake. Just remember it will make getting an acceptance next year that much nicer. Keep your heads up!!

I was rejected off the waitlist from my last school, which was also my number one choice. It stung for awhile, but it is time to move forward and improve for next year.

no worries people! im a third timer and #3 was the charm. consider that over the year you might clarify your interests and goals, vastly improve your application, and get into your first choice school- instead of getting in this year to one down on your list. it's what happened to me.

i'm not writing to only offer positive words. i know how difficult this process is and feel your collective pain so i'm offering to criticially read anyone's SOP, now or later. why should you care what i have to say? because i understand that a SOP should grab the reader's attention, make them want to get to know you, back up statements with relevant examples (show don't tell), cogently relate past experiences with current goals, make use of every sentence, and generally make a memorable impression on the reader. I can only provide you with one person's opinion - and i won't be the person on the admissions board reading your essay if you know what i mean, but if you're interested i'd be happy to help. :luck: all.