fellow USCers.... where are you going to live??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyamaluda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.... For those of you who have decided to go to USC.... where is everyone going to live? I know i'm going to want a roommate...anyone interested? I'm coming from Nashville... and have only been to LA once... (for my interview) and am not sure where are good areas to live, and where to get a good price for rent. My rent in Nashville is $400 a month... and everything there seems to be around $1000-$1200 a month... Just trying to get an accurate price so I can plan ahead! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure whether this information will help you since you are looking to live with a roommate. But when I looked for my studio, the average price I found was ~$1100-1300/month for a studio, and $1300 and higher for a one-bedroom apartment. These are the price I found on the apartments on the north side of dental school, which is from 30th St to W. Adams. I think the apartments on the west side of the campus, which is the 36th and 37th St can be a little cheaper than those on the north side. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
on a serious note..is now the time to start looking for an apartment?

When do people usually sign leases for fall semester?

The sooner you start looking the better. I pay 1200 for a 2 bed 2 bath in South Pasadena, My commute on the freeway before 7:30 am is 20 min and about 40 min after that. I take the train (Gold Line To Union Station and the school's bus to USC) it takes about 35 mins to 45 mins. If you are looking for a quiet community south-pas is a good bet, if you want great night life somewhere else may be better.

i signed mine last week and i think you've already joined our fb group so you can see my post on there.

i used firstchoicehousing.com, and since i don't live in LA i had to use internet website to find the place and i think they had the largest selection with the most details of units.

i am going to pay $1050 for rent plus $75 for parking for a unit that's literally across the street from school, and with one month free special, the unit comes out to be around $960.
from what i heard you should expect to pay around 900-1200 if you choose to live by yourself close to campus.

my budget is little bit more flexible since i am getting hpsp scholarship but i know that there are other units that are even cheaper (but smaller or few blocks away from campus)

i decided to live by myself for at least the first year next to campus because i don't want to be stuck with a bad roommate and i will consider living little bit farther away once i find out more about surrounding areas and the city.

good luck with your search!

Last edited:
I want to live in south Pasadena, does anyone know a good website to check out to look at apartments in this area?