Fellowship after 3-4 years of academic hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going into rheumatology but due to financial and family reasons, I will be pursuing working as an academic hospitalist for about 3 years or so. I know for more competitive fellowships like GI/cards/pulm/hem onc this puts you at a disadvantage. For Rheum, will it affect my chances for fellowship too much? Especially if I want to stay in my home program (where I will hopefully be working)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if my current fellowship is any indication, it shouldn't hurt you negatively. 1/3 of my fellowship was a hospitalist for 1-2 years. The rest of us went into fellowship directly after training. Looking at the candidates we are interviewing, the majority are directly from residency. However, being a academic hospitalist in a large academic hospital would help, especially if you have contact with the rheum department.

The rheum environment can change but this is what i am seeing now.

Rheumatology is getting more and more competitive every year, but you should have a good shot if you're looking to stay at your home institution. I would recommend keeping a close relationship with the program and perhaps even doing some research. Let them know your situation and that you're dedicated to doing rheumatology there.

I keep seeing a hospitalist who is always at our Rheum grand rounds and journal clubs. Finally had a chat with him and turns out he is been working as a hospitalist for 3 years and looking sometime in the future to do Rheum fellowship. His initiative of attending our academic meetings made him known to most faculty besides he is doing research with one of them!

Mind you 3 other residents are doing the same thing so you do the math!

If you ask I'd say his chances are decent matching with us given the interest he is showing

However as someone noted above keep in mind Rheumatology is getting more attractive to many applicants so I wouldn't wait too long before applying