fellowship and ABIM certification exam scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juventas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from residency and will be taking off a year or two to work and do research. I am, however, going ahead and taking my ABIM certification exam to get it out of the way. I'm pretty sure I can pass, but I don't think my scores will be very good. When I apply for fellowship in a year or so, will the fellowship programs be able to see what my score is, and if they don't, do they ask?

I searched a couple of threads from 2006 and 2007 that say no, but I just wanted to make absolutely sure.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from residency and will be taking off a year or two to work and do research. I am, however, going ahead and taking my ABIM certification exam to get it out of the way. I'm pretty sure I can pass, but I don't think my scores will be very good. When I apply for fellowship in a year or so, will the fellowship programs be able to see what my score is, and if they don't, do they ask?

I searched a couple of threads from 2006 and 2007 that say no, but I just wanted to make absolutely sure.

Thanks!

The only thing I've ever seen on fellowship applications is whether or not the applicant was ABIM certified. I've only seen printouts of records, not what's actually in ERAS so I can't be positive the score isn't in there somewhere, but I highly doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I suppose it's safe to say that no one will ask for your score report?

There is no way they can see your scores. When you take the ABIM, it will ask if you want to release scores to your residency program. If so, your program will get a report with a breakdown of your score and how you did in each section. If you do not, the program will only get a print out if you "failed" (aka Not Certified). You will get mailed both your pass/fall (certified/not certified status) and score report. You will get this around October/November. The program will get this around March. Fellowships do not have access to this. The only thing they can do is look you up on the ABIM website and type in your name. Even this does not list if you failed. It will either say "certified" (ie took it and passed) or "not certified" - either you took it and failed or did not take it at all. They can't tell the difference. Best of Luck!