Fellowship choice question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLY1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who is set to graduate from a low tier pathology residency program, Which choice makes more sense and has more value in the job search process (from a pure marketability perspective)?

1- A "top" fellowship (GI, neuro, derm for example) in an average place.

2- An "average" fellowship (Surgical, heme, cyto for example) in a top place.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For someone who is set to graduate from a low tier pathology residency program, Which choice makes more sense and has more value in the job search process (from a pure marketability perspective)?

1- A "top" fellowship (GI, neuro, derm for example) in an average place.

2- An "average" fellowship (Surgical, heme, cyto for example) in a top place.

Thanks

Call me crazy, a hippie, etc. but consider doing what you actually like. You'll be doing it for a while. I know everyone's worried about getting a job, so I understand, but focus on being normal and nice - that counts for a lot too. And maybe doing the fellowship in an area of the country you want to end up. As an aside - honest question - is neuro more desirable than heme?

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are asking the wrong question. Both are important in different ways.

In my opinion, the subject of the fellowship depends more on what kind of job you want and also your personal interests - would you honestly be equally interested/willing to do fellowship in any of the specialities you mentioned? If you want a position at a relatively small private practice group that has minimal subspecialization, I think you'd be more marketable with fellowship either in something that is a big portion of their most common specimens so you can be the local expert (e.g. GI, GU) or in one of the specialties that small groups tend to separate out first (e.g. heme, cyto, derm). If you want to work in a highly subspecialized academic department (some large private groups would fall into this category also if they have enough volume in a given area), then I would suggest any of the other AP organ system-based fellowships not previously mentioned - generally the more obscure/niche the organ system, the more likely you'll end up in academics. Unless your residency training was really sub-par or you are only doing it as part of some kind of deal to get a really desirable fellowship the following year at the same institution, I would not recommend doing a surg path fellowship. You are supposed to have learned basic general surg path in residency and doing an extra year of fellowship in it doesn't give you any specific area of expertise to sell yourself with. If you do somehow get roped into one, I would recommend at least trying to "focus" or "specialize" your surg path fellowship in 1 or 2 organ systems as much as possible.

The name recognition/prestige of the fellowship institution is also certainly important, but the fact that you did fellowship x at a top tier place will likely be irrelevant in most cases if a group is specifically looking to hire someone who has done fellowship y.

Members don't see this ad :)
1- A "top" fellowship (GI, neuro, heme, derm for example) in an average place.

2- An "average" fellowship (Surgical, heme, neuro, cyto for example) in a top place.

This might help as to what's considered as "top" for starters...

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much guys for your input.
I am actually still pretty early on in my residency. Haven't even done heme or neuro yet lol, so forgive my ignorance.
I fully understand that many factors come into play when it comes to fellowship choice (What I actually like, practice setting I am interested in, desired geographic location ... etc). That's why I said from a pure job market perspective. I just realize that not all programs are the same, and that it doesn't hurt to be realistic when gauging my career options.
@Euchromatin Thank you for the detailed answer. For now, I am more interested in a more specialized career (probably GI or GU) in an academic setting. I also liked Heme from my pre-residency exposure. However, I know my interests could change when I go deeper into my residency .

Reactions: 1 user
I literally spit my coffee out at neuro being a "top fellowship". Neuropath is an essential field but I have no clue what your definition of top is...like the inability to get work outside academics? Low pay? 2x the length of any other fellowship? lifetime confinement of a niche who deals daily with the most brutal egos in the entire professional work space?

I would almost rather be Harvey Weinstein's personal florist....
:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
If you really want to know from a pure job market perspective, take a look at the job postings on pathologyoutlines.com. They have postings separated out by sub-specialty. Although it may not necessarily reflect the job market when you start your search, it at least gives you an idea of what areas are in demand right now.

The factor that was most helpful for me during my job search was a well-connected and well-regarded fellowship director. Don't underestimate the power of networking. Unless you're sticking to academics, chances are you will be doing general surgical path, so do a fellowship in something that is consistently in demand on pathoutlines (GYN, for example). Do some background research about the faculty and pick a place with a well-known fellowship director. Well-connected faculty often know about job openings long before they are posted.