Fellowship competitiveness results 2009: Heme/onc #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightVision

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if you go to the NRMP site, they tell you the match statistics for the 2009 match, http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2009.pdf

For each fellowship, you can see the number of positions offered and the number of applicants. So based on those I calculated the percentage of applicants accepted. Usually we here that GI, cards, and allergy are the most competitive, but I was suprised to find heme/onc was #2, which I thought was cool because that's what I'm doing:)....what do you think?

# positions # applicants % accepted
  1. GI 339 608 55.8%
  2. Heme/onc 426 706 60.3%
  3. Cards 712 1159 61.4%
  4. Renal 367 578 63.5%
  5. Pulm 397 607 65.4%
  6. Allergy 115 174 66%
  7. Endo 223 325 68.5%
  8. Rheum 181 243 74.5%
  9. ID 303 331 91.5%

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not going to state the obvious flaw with that logic as i'm trying to work on being less of a dick. i'm happy for you.

OP

Hey guys, if you go to the NRMP site, they tell you the match statistics for the 2009 match, http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddatasms2009.pdf

For each fellowship, you can see the number of positions offered and the number of applicants. So based on those I calculated the percentage of applicants accepted. Usually we here that GI, cards, and allergy are the most competitive, but I was suprised to find heme/onc was #2, which I thought was cool because that's what I'm doing:)....what do you think?

# positions # applicants % accepted
  1. GI 339 608 55.8%
  2. Heme/onc 426 706 60.3%
  3. Cards 712 1159 61.4%
  4. Renal 367 578 63.5%
  5. Pulm 397 607 65.4%
  6. Allergy 115 174 66%
  7. Endo 223 325 68.5%
  8. Rheum 181 243 74.5%
  9. ID 303 331 91.5%
good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
A major factor in these statistics is, unfortunately, where you went to medical school and residency. As you become more and more specialized, academic affiliation and reputation becomes more and more important.

That said, the statistics you posted also has a breakdown of how American MDs did vs all others. In GI, the OVERALL match rate is 55%. However, the match rate for American MDs in GI is closer to 71%, while the match rate for all others in GI is closer to 30-40%. The conclusion here is that non-American MDs traditionally have a harder time matching into the more competitive subspecialties, such as GI.

In cardio, I believe the match rate for American MDs is 84%.

I personally feel otherwise about the impact of reputation on fellowship matches, but these are just what the statistics are saying.

A major factor in these statistics is, unfortunately, where you went to medical school and residency. As you become more and more specialized, academic affiliation and reputation becomes more and more important.

That said, the statistics you posted also has a breakdown of how American MDs did vs all others. In GI, the OVERALL match rate is 55%. However, the match rate for American MDs in GI is closer to 71%, while the match rate for all others in GI is closer to 30-40%. The conclusion here is that non-American MDs traditionally have a harder time matching into the more competitive subspecialties, such as GI.

In cardio, I believe the match rate for American MDs is 84%.

I personally feel otherwise about the impact of reputation on fellowship matches, but these are just what the statistics are saying.
i think its more to do with your citizenship status and whether you did your residency at a university program vs. the school you went to.
a lot of imgs dont get fellowships because many programs dont even offer H1B visas, etc.

remeber these are the numbers of those who entered the match. not number of applicants who did not get interviews or who got interviews but withdrew so it does not accurately predict competitiveness although it give syou a sense of which specialties are more competitive.