Fellowship funding for non-US citizens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.op

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with applying for internal medicine subspecialty fellowships as a non-US citizen?

It seems like a lot of programs won't interview me because the funding for the research years is NIH-based, which means non-US citizens are not eligible.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to a fellowship that doesn't require a research year(s). There should be plenty of them. I've seen FMG's at many fellowships, including cardiology, rheumatology, etc. It's very hard for FMG's to get GI or cards, and probably hem/onc too, but the others should be easier to get in to...

Not all fellowships with research time have it funded through the NIH/grants. Our last graduating class in pulm/crit care had two fellows on J visas and had their salaries funded directly by the division. We have 18 months of clinical time and 18 months of research.

If the division does not specifically depend on NIH funding to pay salaries, there's no reason a program couldn't take you (outside of visa issues etc.). The only way to really know is to ask each program.

Thanks guys... I am applying in academic endocrinology programs, so research is pretty much a must...
Any other ideas, anyone?