Fellowship in AOA surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO4eva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've heard that many students who want to go in surgery apply to AMA residency. But, what if one goes the AOA route (i.e. Ortho or General Surgery) and later decides to do fellowship (i.e. Spine or Thoracic, respectively)? Is this possible? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DO4eva said:
Hi,
I've heard that many students who want to go in surgery apply to AMA residency. But, what if one goes the AOA route (i.e. Ortho or General Surgery) and later decides to do fellowship (i.e. Spine or Thoracic, respectively)? Is this possible? Thanks.

Why wouldn't it be?

DO4eva said:
Hi,

Specialty surgery fellowships aren't usually a problem...i.e. ortho, uro, ENT. This is b/c there are no DO fellowships and most ACGME places realize that. General surgery is another story... CT and vascular are easier to get cause there are DO fellowships, but good luck trying to get something like plastics or colorectal.