Fellowship in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyPsychDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,

I have been following threads on this forum for some time now, and have learnt a lot from your interesting and helpful discussions. I wonder if I could ask you for some advice, please?

I am training as a GP on a prestigious training rotation in the UK. I have had 3 (C/L) + 4 (Gen Adult) months experience in Psychiatry as a part of my GP training. After I complete my GP training, I would like to do a fellowship in Psychosomatic Medicine in the US. Is it possible? I know some people mentioned on other forums doing a similar thing in other specialties (ie, completing their residency in a specialty X outside the US, and then doing a fellowship in the subspecialty Y of the specialty X in the US). I am not sure whether my version of this trick would be possible, though. I know I would not be able to practice as a psychiatrist in the US after that, unless I complete the residency in psychiatry in the US. But, I could apply for the residency with the much sought-after USCE. Or, I could go back to the UK and use the knowledge and skills gained during the fellowship training in my general practice in this country.

Any thoughts/advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Alas, you may be just a year too late. As a board certified subspecialty, Psychosomatic Medicine fellowships now fall under ACGME regulations, which means that their fellows must be subspecialty eligible psychiatrists. There is a loophole governing the admission of fellows from other specialties, but there's a lot af language in the bylaws about proving that the presence of a fellow from another specialty does not detract from the experience of the other fellows. Ultimately, it means a lot more paperwork for the fellowship, which might make them a little more reluctant.
That said, I know the MGH fellowship has a significant history of taking fellows from other countries (I'm aware of Canada and Ireland), and of taking internists. Can't hurt to try.

Thank you, Doc Samson, for the valuable information. I will keep this in mind, and will not get my hopes up.