Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Fellowship in Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by BabyPsychDoc, May 11, 2007.

1. BabyPsychDoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Dear colleagues,

I have been following threads on this forum for some time now, and have learnt a lot from your interesting and helpful discussions. I wonder if I could ask you for some advice, please?

I am training as a GP on a prestigious training rotation in the UK. I have had 3 (C/L) + 4 (Gen Adult) months experience in Psychiatry as a part of my GP training. After I complete my GP training, I would like to do a fellowship in Psychosomatic Medicine in the US. Is it possible? I know some people mentioned on other forums doing a similar thing in other specialties (ie, completing their residency in a specialty X outside the US, and then doing a fellowship in the subspecialty Y of the specialty X in the US). I am not sure whether my version of this trick would be possible, though. I know I would not be able to practice as a psychiatrist in the US after that, unless I complete the residency in psychiatry in the US. But, I could apply for the residency with the much sought-after USCE. Or, I could go back to the UK and use the knowledge and skills gained during the fellowship training in my general practice in this country.

Any thoughts/advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc Samson

Doc Samson gamma irradiated
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Alas, you may be just a year too late. As a board certified subspecialty, Psychosomatic Medicine fellowships now fall under ACGME regulations, which means that their fellows must be subspecialty eligible psychiatrists. There is a loophole governing the admission of fellows from other specialties, but there's a lot af language in the bylaws about proving that the presence of a fellow from another specialty does not detract from the experience of the other fellows. Ultimately, it means a lot more paperwork for the fellowship, which might make them a little more reluctant.
    That said, I know the MGH fellowship has a significant history of taking fellows from other countries (I'm aware of Canada and Ireland), and of taking internists. Can't hurt to try.

4. BabyPsychDoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you, Doc Samson, for the valuable information. I will keep this in mind, and will not get my hopes up.