Fellowship Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipzapzoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. How will you answer this one---Where do u see urself in next 5 yrs....I have an answer but dont know how to exactly phrase it effectively

After fellowship I would like to start my career in academic setting but later will transition to group or may be private practice.

I am not sure wether its a short answer or it needs few more words to make it more impressive.

Members don't see this ad.

Bad answer. Academics want someone who is interested in and excited by research and teaching. They don't want to invest time in you if you've already decided to leave academics in a couple of years.

There might be some unique situations in which the dept is currently clinically understaffed and they just need someone to see patients and do procedures while they look for the next great academician.

Bad answer. Academics want someone who is interested in and excited by research and teaching. They don't want to invest time in you if you've already decided to leave academics in a couple of years.

There might be some unique situations in which the dept is currently clinically understaffed and they just need someone to see patients and do procedures while they look for the next great academician.

Not always true...most PDs realize nd will in fact tell you at the interview that >50% of their fellows go into PP....

The PDs are experts in sniffing out whos BSing and who is not. If you like academics tell them so. If you like PP tell that too. If you like a blend, tell them that...