fellowship of U of Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeping beauty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a long disscusion about Penn residency last year.

Any opinion about Penn's fellowship, particularly surgical and heme? it seem heme is weak for me.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a long disscusion about Penn residency last year.

Any opinion about Penn's fellowship, particularly surgical and heme? it seem heme is weak for me.

what are you basing your opinion of heme as weak on?

just curious.

I'm also interested in Penn's surg path or cyto fellowships, if anyone out there knows any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surg Path

7 fellows divided among services, one week at a time. GI (there is an additional full time GI fellow), GU, and Frozens are their own service. The remaining subspecialties (GYN, Breast, Derm, ENT/Endo, Pulm) are combined in a way i can't remember off-hand right now (2 specialties/service). Fellow gets a portion of the biopsies and all outside slides accessioned to a particular specialty. No grossing of "big" cases. Fellow will occasionally get "overflow" cases if a junior resident hits their cap on a certain day. Frozens fellow works with two different residents each day (one from each resident service x 4 day cycle). Fellows take frozen section call (not residents). Bottom line: Fellows work very hard. Frozen weeks are tough. Some subspecialty service can get busy and the workload varies from day to day.

Cyto

3 fellows and three services. Services are comprised of one attending, 0-1 fellow (if a senior resident is onservice and vacation time is needed) and 0-2 residents (depending on schedule). Two are based at HUP and work is split between the two (cases and FNA's). Fellows and residents take cart down for FNA, set up, and (depending on attending) contribute primarily to prelim read. FNA service can be REALLY busy (Thyroid Thursdays EEK!). Newest service is based at band new outpatient center. More laid back. Like off-service time for attendings and fellows. From what I understand, the reputation is pretty good.

Thanks for the info.