Fellowship opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studbud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey party people - can anyone clarify what are your choices of fellowship if you're a DO and only have taken COMLEX and match into an ACGME residency? Can you still then have the opportunity to match into ACGME fellowship without having taken the USMLE since you did an ACGME residency? I know there are a lot of upcoming changes, but I'm just confused about the whole process. What holds true now and what will be different for the future? I've been having a lot of discussions with fellow classmates who are all equally confused so I'm hoping someone on here can help clarify. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you attend an ACGME residency, you can do an ACGME fellowship. That's all. All ACGME fellowships will require ACGME residency training after 2016 (or at least pre-accreditation status during the transition).

Requiring the USMLE is entirely program-specific. I know DOs that had no problem doing ACGME fellowships after having only taken the COMLEX. With some of the more competitive fellowships, just as with residency, they may prefer the USMLE, but like I said, is program specific.

Reactions: 2 users