Other Fellowship prospects for IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear7

Reaction score
I am a foreigner thinking of practising in Canada as my family wants to move there. I know it is really hard for IMGs to get residency spots and some specialties are simply off limits. However, does it get easier after you get a residency and want to do a fellowship in the future or do you still have to deal with discrimination and lower chances? For example, if I manage to get a spot in an internal medicine residency in Ontario and later want to do a fellowship in Cardiology a few years later, would the odds still be against me because I am an IMG? I would also like to know how it would be in the USA if Canada is simply a hopeless cause for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know much about Canada, but even in the US cardio is a very difficult to get fellowship. Is it impossible? Not really, It all depends on the work you do. If you put all your energy into getting it, from day one, if you build the right connections. with attendings who’d recommend you, etc.. I’d assume it’s possible. However, you need to earn it by showing interest, doing good work in your cardio rotations and by publishing research throughout your time as an IM resident.

this is assuming a matching system like in the US.