fellowship salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinsy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...

I am having a bit of a disagreement with my significant other, hoping you can help me clear it up.

If you do a fellowship from EM, does it basically pay at R4/R5 whatever rates? I tried to search the archives and found some people saying that maybe for ultrasound you could get paid more.

I honestly don't care how much I get paid, I want to do a fellowship because it will be doing what I love. But the argument is why do a fellowship if it adds nothing to your marketability, we have too much in loans to waste time on fellowships. (because it's what I want to do with my life!) but hey. I guess I should at least know what I'm getting into, and I cannot seem to find this info by searching the web.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of them pay close to 80K, from what I have seen. However, it is still less than an attending salary.

I was thinking about this the other day and started wondering if you could moonlight as an attending (while in fellowship)? If you could moonlight and you were getting paid pretty well as a fellow, then life could be pretty sweet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Base salary is around R4/5 at most places. Moonlighting allows for significant income in addition to that. $120-150k per year is reasonable depending on the required clinical hours for your fellowship (when you work, you don't make an hourly rate unless you are moonlighting). ACEP suggests no more than 800 clinical hours per year during fellowship. Remember, though, you will be doing much non-clinical work/research as well...

How much does having a Fellowship add to your total salary, after all is said and done? I'm thinking toxicology specifically.

I don't think it would really add much at all, in fact you might make less since you will probably be working in academics.

Some places where you are a fellow, you are paid as an R4 or R5 - and that ain't much. Others, you're paid at "1/2 attending" level - somewhere, roughly, around $60K-$80K, but you're also working reduced time in the ED as an attending (usually 1 shift/week, but not usually more than 6/block) to make up some of that money.

The answer is that it varies widely but tends to fall into either an R4/5 level with added moonlighting pay or the 1/2 attending scheme Apollyon described.

How much does having a Fellowship add to your total salary, after all is said and done? I'm thinking toxicology specifically.

For most EM trained Toxicologists, being fellowship trained adds little to nothing to the salary. It does, however, make it easier to get academic jobs and you may get protected research time and other non-monetary benefits.

The salary for my fellowship next year is PGY-4 plus I'm attending in the ED 40-60 hours a month, depending on my fellowship schedule.