fellowship taxes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psy86

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience with paying taxes on fellowship income? This is my second year trying to do this... I'm set up for payroll deduction of my federal and state taxes on the fellowship, so I pay them as I go, and I'm aware that the fellowship income is taxable (although the school doesn't report it on my W2, grr), and I need to add it to what is reported and write the 'SCH' business on the 1040 and all that jazz. : )

What I'm not quite sure about is the issue of taxability of tuition benefits. Apparently the tuition that the fellowship pays on my behalf is taxable income, although the tuition that is paid on my behalf due to RAship is not? Is this correct? Anyone out there have any idea? Do I really need to add the tuition that the fellowship paid to my school to my income for 2005? Because that would be a real bummer. Does it make any difference that one fellowship was from my school and one was from the government?

Oh, I'm just babbling on now I guess. Sorry. I guess I'm hoping that someone out there is in a similar predicament or has experienced this before and can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the fellowship stuff, but I pay taxes on my income (from my RA/TA positions) but do NOT pay taxes on my tuition remission. Also, don't forget that you can write off anything you did pay out of pocket as a tax credit, if you paid any student fees or anything (I forget the name of the credit- i'll look it up later).

psychanon said:
I don't know anything about the fellowship stuff, but I pay taxes on my income (from my RA/TA positions) but do NOT pay taxes on my tuition remission. Also, don't forget that you can write off anything you did pay out of pocket as a tax credit, if you paid any student fees or anything (I forget the name of the credit- i'll look it up later).

Yeah, my understanding is that tuition remission due to RA/TA positions is not taxed, but tuition remission due to fellowships is, which really sucks.

Thanks, though.

I'm really unclear on all of this but I got a 1098 form from my school saying I paid the tuition that was paid for me by the department. I'm letting my husband's accountant take care of all this...