Fellowships in Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmarkgreene

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just found out I will be commencing my postbacc studies in a few weeks and while it's a long ways off, I figured I'd stop by and just ask a quick question to all of you regarding ophthalmology.

My understanding is that ophthalmology is still one of the most competitive residencies out there and that the retina fellowships are even more sought after than the ophthalmology residency itself. For those of you who were fortunate enough and did well enough to match into ophthalmology, I'm curious to know as to how important any fellowship is when considering a career in ophthalmology? Did many of you enter the residency with plans of eventually completing a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

Just found out I will be commencing my postbacc studies in a few weeks and while it's a long ways off, I figured I'd stop by and just ask a quick question to all of you regarding ophthalmology.

My understanding is that ophthalmology is still one of the most competitive residencies out there and that the retina fellowships are even more sought after than the ophthalmology residency itself. For those of you who were fortunate enough and did well enough to match into ophthalmology, I'm curious to know as to how important any fellowship is when considering a career in ophthalmology? Did many of you enter the residency with plans of eventually completing a fellowship?

Congrats on acceptance to med school! :thumbup:

Yes, ophthalmology is quite competitive, and fellowships can be, particularly retina. Fellowship training isn't necessary, but it can potentially make you more marketable. In some instances, it can also increase your income potential. Really, I think it should be more about your interest in a particular subspecialty, though.