Quantcast

Fellowships possibilities for NYHQ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljstrong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello everyone
I wonder if anyone reading has any knowledge of NYHQ ( New York hospital Queens/Cornell affiliated) or is a resident in IM there?
I am interested in this hospital for IM residency but there are several issues that I REALLY need to clear up before I go aiming for that program..
1. How are fellowship placements? Since there is no information on their website I couldnt make any guess at all, and google isnt helping much
2. I'm planning for a HEM/ONC fellowship, if possible, and preferably at a university program. NYHQ offers a mandatory elective month at memorial sloan K, and i guess additional electives over there is possible. Is that going to help much if I hope to subspecialize in Hem/onc at a university program, such as, say, NYU or columbia?
3. The hospital seems pretty full of potential and is expanding, with good emphasis on the medicine department. Therefore I am told that although it is a community program, it is strong in terms of volume and exposure. However, I wonder how the "community hospital " tag factors in fellowship application, because if that was the case, maybe it would be better to choos AECOM at Jacobi or such programs that seem to have bigger names?
Any thoughts will be really appreciated....please help....this could heavily alter my decision in life....

Int Med 2008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to go into fellowship, regardless of specialty go university. I'd be very surprised if NYU and especially Columbia takes residents for Hem/Onc fellowship from community programs.

muscles

student of the month
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As competitive as heme/onc is becoming, I would look at programs that are university based. You're going to need to do some research throughout residency to make yourself competitive - simply doing an extra heme/onc rotation probably wouldn't be enough. If you're considering new york, there are a lot of university programs either in the city or nearby for you to choose.
If your heart is set on NYHQ, contact the program now, ask the program director's secretary for the information your interested in. If they do not have a good record of getting people fellowships, you probably want to begin looking elsewhere for residency.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I wonder if anyone reading has any knowledge of NYHQ ( New York hospital Queens/Cornell affiliated) or is a resident in IM there?
I am interested in this hospital for IM residency but there are several issues that I REALLY need to clear up before I go aiming for that program..
1. How are fellowship placements? Since there is no information on their website I couldnt make any guess at all, and google isnt helping much
2. I'm planning for a HEM/ONC fellowship, if possible, and preferably at a university program. NYHQ offers a mandatory elective month at memorial sloan K, and i guess additional electives over there is possible. Is that going to help much if I hope to subspecialize in Hem/onc at a university program, such as, say, NYU or columbia?
3. The hospital seems pretty full of potential and is expanding, with good emphasis on the medicine department. Therefore I am told that although it is a community program, it is strong in terms of volume and exposure. However, I wonder how the "community hospital " tag factors in fellowship application, because if that was the case, maybe it would be better to choos AECOM at Jacobi or such programs that seem to have bigger names?
Any thoughts will be really appreciated....please help....this could heavily alter my decision in life....

fellowships placement are very difficult coming out of NYHQ.....not to mention the terrible work schedule (q4 call)....

ljstrong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll look at other univ programs then
since as a IMG the big ones (nyu, preb, montefiore, sinai) are difficult maybe i'll look into jacobi then.

DrWBD

Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Many community programs also have their own fellowship programs, including Heme/Onc, and these programs are often just as academic as "university" programs. Some favor their own residents heavily, so if getting a good university program residency isn't feasible, consider a community or university-affiliated hospital with the fellowship you're interested in.