Fellowships several years after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible would it be to apply for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency? Do you believe it would be more difficult, competing with young residents? Or would the older applicant have the advantage of experience?

Is it a common practice to do this, or do most physicians who sub-specialize do so immediately following residency?

Thanks in advance if you can offer any thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

You just got into med school and are already worrying about applying for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency?! :confused: PLEASE tell me this is just a hypothetical, and you're not seriously worrying about something that may or may not happen 12-21 years from now?

I'm confused.

If you're just asking hypothetically, well, it totally depends on the field you're in. What type of fellowship? After IM, or a surgical field? Or something else?

Again, very early to be thinking about this.

You just got into med school and are already worrying about applying for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency?! :confused: PLEASE tell me this is just a hypothetical, and you're not seriously worrying about something that may or may not happen 12-21 years from now?

I'm confused.

If you're just asking hypothetically, well, it totally depends on the field you're in. What type of fellowship? After IM, or a surgical field? Or something else?

Again, very early to be thinking about this.

LOL :) It's hypothetical, and the only reason I'm asking is because I'm considering the NHSC scholarship for primary care. They allow IM, FM, OB, Psych and Peds residencies, so it's conceivable that a scholarship recepient could go back and do a fellowship after fufilling the service committment. After thinking about it more, I probably won't apply the scholarship - maybe for 3rd or 4th year, if I've decided on a primary care residency. I'm just too scared of the small chance I might totally fall in love with radiology, gas, or surgery.