illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
How feasible would it be to apply for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency? Do you believe it would be more difficult, competing with young residents? Or would the older applicant have the advantage of experience?

Is it a common practice to do this, or do most physicians who sub-specialize do so immediately following residency?

Thanks in advance if you can offer any thoughts on this.

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
You just got into med school and are already worrying about applying for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency?! :confused: PLEASE tell me this is just a hypothetical, and you're not seriously worrying about something that may or may not happen 12-21 years from now?

I'm confused.

If you're just asking hypothetically, well, it totally depends on the field you're in. What type of fellowship? After IM, or a surgical field? Or something else?

Again, very early to be thinking about this.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
You just got into med school and are already worrying about applying for a fellowship 5-10 years after finishing residency?! :confused: PLEASE tell me this is just a hypothetical, and you're not seriously worrying about something that may or may not happen 12-21 years from now?

I'm confused.

If you're just asking hypothetically, well, it totally depends on the field you're in. What type of fellowship? After IM, or a surgical field? Or something else?

Again, very early to be thinking about this.
LOL :) It's hypothetical, and the only reason I'm asking is because I'm considering the NHSC scholarship for primary care. They allow IM, FM, OB, Psych and Peds residencies, so it's conceivable that a scholarship recepient could go back and do a fellowship after fufilling the service committment. After thinking about it more, I probably won't apply the scholarship - maybe for 3rd or 4th year, if I've decided on a primary care residency. I'm just too scared of the small chance I might totally fall in love with radiology, gas, or surgery.