Fellowships summer before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepy12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of med students doing a fellowship during the summer between their M1 and M2, but is it something students do or is it even possible to do a medical fellowship the summer before M1?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah.. just sleep. Do you really want to be doing something medically related the summer before you start? Enjoy your break... 99% of others will ;)

Nah.. just sleep. Do you really want to be doing something medically related the summer before you start? Enjoy your break... 99% of others will ;)

I was just curious since I am trying to work as much as I can to save money and since fellowships can pay, I figured since I've already been accepted to med school, why do work thats not going to help me in the future, when I can do something that will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just curious since I am trying to work as much as I can to save money and since fellowships can pay, I figured since I've already been accepted to med school, why do work thats not going to help me in the future, when I can do something that will.

The NIH has a summer program that you could look in to... and I think some medical schools offer a chance to come early and do some research, but that varies by school. You should probably look into the start date of the medical school you're planning on attending, because some start in July and it won't give you much time to start anything. I do agree that you should just relax however; this is going to be your last chance to do so before being engulfed by medicine. And granted idk anything about your situation, but the $3k you're going to make over the summer would not even make a dent in the loans of most medical students.

I guess for resume building, it could help.. if that's what you want to do. But financially, the $ you make over 1 summer will cover 3 weeks worth of medical school tuition. If you need to money for basic living expenses to sustain yourself over the summer itself or something, it may work?

agreed. chill. In both directions of time, this is a rare opportunity to take a breath. If you honestly love research more than anything in the world then sweet, go for it! Just remember that you can spend the next 40+ years growing used to such a fickle mistress.