Fellowships that are not board certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf123g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the draw-backs for these? Any pros? Thank you for your responses and opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Drawbacks: 1 year of time, minimal benefit for most of them, loss of potential revenue working as an attending
Pros: at the end you get a nice paper that proves you did an unaccredited fellowship.

All jokes aside, there rarely is much benefit to these. You usually would be better off getting an attending job working in the setting you're interested in.
Even some accredited fellowships aren't technically completely necessary unless you have specific goals in the future.
By the way, some residency programs allow you to do these unaccredited fellowships in your 4th year of residency.

What fellowship are you interested in?

Reactions: 4 users
I was interested in doing a fellowship in psychotherapy (or a similar fellowship). Would it be worthwhile if my career goals incorporate a lot of this? My program isn't very strong on psychotherapy training.

I'm having trouble finding a list of programs that offer this fellowship (or something similar). Is there a resource anybody knows of that lists these programs?

Alternatively, any reputable places to do extra courses/training during residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interested in doing a fellowship in psychotherapy (or a similar fellowship). Would it be worthwhile if my career goals incorporate a lot of this? My program isn't very strong on psychotherapy training.

I'm having trouble finding a list of programs that offer this fellowship (or something similar). Is there a resource anybody knows of that lists these programs?

Alternatively, any reputable places to do extra courses/training during residency?

Figure out which types of therapy you want to do. If it’s psychodynamic many analytic institutes have 1-2 year courses you can do in the evenings that come with included supervision. Similar for CBT institutes. If you are in an area without these, you could reach out to practicing senior therapists in your preferred style and ask what their fee is for supervision. Could probably do zoom supervision if your interests are exotic and no one around doing what you’re interested in.

You can do this while working

Reactions: 3 users
Figure out which types of therapy you want to do. If it’s psychodynamic many analytic institutes have 1-2 year courses you can do in the evenings that come with included supervision. Similar for CBT institutes. If you are in an area without these, you could reach out to practicing senior therapists in your preferred style and ask what their fee is for supervision. Could probably do zoom supervision if your interests are exotic and no one around doing what you’re interested in.

You can do this while working

So much this. If you google "psychotherapy training course" you will find plenty of options for all kinds of approaches.

Wait, really, programs and acgme are okay with you changing programs pgy4 for a fellowship that is not CAP? Oh dang!

By the way, some residency programs allow you to do these unaccredited fellowships in your 4th year of residency.

What fellowship are you interested in?

Wait, really, programs and acgme are okay with you changing programs pgy4 for a fellowship that is not CAP? Oh dang!

Residents can transfer at the PGY4 level, like other levels. PGY4 is often mostly elective. An “unaccredited” fellowship is exactly that - a bunch of electives that result in no accredited certification.

Reactions: 2 users
Residents can transfer at the PGY4 level, like other levels. PGY4 is often mostly elective. An “unaccredited” fellowship is exactly that - a bunch of electives that result in no accredited certification.

Some of my co-residents end up doing a "Public Psychiatry" fellowship in their 4th year. For the die-hard CTT-doc-or-bust crew, this as known as "the electives I was going to do anyway, but fancy"

Reactions: 3 users
How common is it? / what is your opinion on how the program would view it?