Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sort of fellowship opprtunities exist in neurology? Does neuro offer a pathway into pain management (like gas and PMR)? And finally, how much of an impact does a fellowship have on a neuroloist's salary? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the link below (American Academy of Neurology); they have listings and links to just about every neuro fellowship program.

http://www.aan.com/students/awards/fellowship.cfm

Having done a fellowship can definitely change your earning potential, some more, some not as much. Generally, anything that involves procedures (EMG, sleep studies, interventional pain management) can be a big moneymaker. Less procedure-oriented subspecialties (dementia, infectious dz) are less likely to make you a whole lot more $$$.

I think I might be interested in interventional neurology. How competitive are the neurology fellowships? How many "spots" are there each year? Does one need to complete an "ivy league" neurology residency in order to do a "ivy league" fellowship? How do MD fellowships look upon BE/BC DO neurologists....

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
most "ivy league schools" do not have interventional neurology. There are probably less than 5 spots available right now from a handful of programs, and none of them are from "ivy league" programs. The best bet to secure these positions is to do the residency there. There are lots of inbreeding from residency to fellowship. BTW, pain management is not the same thing as interventional neurology (which is actually interventional neuroradiology or endovascular neurosurgery)......if that's what you were talking about.

What about fellowships in Neurological-oncology? How difficult are these to obtain? I'm currently a third year med student at SIU and i've arranged a 4-th year elective in Neuro-Onc at Sloane-Kettering... what other steps can I take at this level to increase my chances of being competitive for such a residency?

vish~

What can a neurologist do for a patient with a brain tumor other than refer them to a neurosurgeon? Please educate me

Neuro-onc is a fellowship as you already pointed out....so go to a program with neuro-onc fellowship offered may help you to secure a spot later on. Try to do an away neuro sub-i at Cornell where you can get to know the people, and more than likely you will get an interview there if you performed well during the month.

Thanks for the Cornell hint... :)

and for the gentleman that asked about what a neurologist can do for a brain tumor, there's plenty. Neuro-oncology, though all be-it, is a relatively new field and still quite academic, is very promising; as our understanding of brain tumors and neuro-immunology is enhanced, there will be many new agents, both chemotherapeutic and immune-enhahcning agents that will be effective for tumor erradication. Also, a lot of neuro-oncologists have training in radiation oncology. So there's a lot a neurologist with training as a neuro-oncologist can do :)

(yes, i'm passionate about neuro-onc... and if you've had someone you've loved dearly die from one, you'd feel that way too)...

vish~

With by far the largest proportion of primary brain tumors being glioblastomas, perhaps the real question is what a neurosurgeon can offer? Extended misery with the 'C' (if you don't know what I'm talking about, this refers to the right side, get it now?) or shortened misery without? Obviously not refering to pilocytic astrocytomas.

Most of these surgeries are done for palliation only, including removal of a single met.

Still no answer. WHat kind of experience does a neurologist obtain in a neuro-onc fellowship. I dont believe that neurologists have any training in rad-onc to the above poster. And experimental drugs are years away.

Perhaps primary care for tumor and post-op patients with their unique needs before or after the neurosurgeon has had his chance?

most neuro-oncology fellowships will include some sort of training in radiation oncology; according to my source @ sloane kettering anyways... and even though newer pharm agents are 'years' away; the quest continues... if you have more questions concerning what a neuro-oncologist does, i would suggest that you contact some of them throughout the several fellowship programs out there....

Stroke & Interventional Neurology

http://www.freewebs.com/neurovascularintervention/

For Fellowship Apply to:
Dr. Shakir HUSAIN MD, DM(Neurology), FINR(Switzerland)
Honorary Consultant & Chief of Services
Stroke Neurology & Interventional Neuroradiology
Dept. of NeuroEndoVascular Therapy
#2223, Superspecialty & Research Block
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi - 110060 INDIA
Tele : +91-9910273863
Mobile : +91-98-101-20942
email: [email protected] , [email protected]

Attachments

• 13939.jpg
    13939.jpg